28 replies to this topic

#21 tiredblood

tiredblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:19 PM

Never was.  Unless you also describe aspirin as chemotherapy because it is a chemical used in therapy.  But that is not the generally accepted definition of chemotherapy.  Dr Druker calls TKI drugs "targeted therapy" not chemotherapy, which is pretty definitive.

I am speaking in the broad sense.

#22 rct

rct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:33 AM

In his office Druker told us it is chemotherapy that they are trying to sort of de-criminalize.  Most hear "chemo" and immediately think bald heads and not long to live.  One of the guys on the team with him that was lecturing here also called it chemo, "no matter what anyone tells you".  Conventional wisdoms have been developed and applied to what is called "chemo", including these newer drugs that don't need all that warning stuff that generally goes with chemo drugs.  Chemo will kill your pets and your children easily, and that includes these TKIs.

It's a shame.  Anyone that has their hair is just fine and must be lying because everyone knows that treating cancer causes hair loss.  The docs develop chemos that don't do that and nobody wants to call it chemo, as though what you call it makes it any better.  Call it The Best Candy Ever, it's still chemo and if you don't take it you can't play.

rct

#23 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 16 July 2015 - 04:33 PM

Here in Texas we say: "You can put your boots in the oven but it don't make them biscuits". 

If someone wants to call both Gleevec and aspirin chemotherapy since both are chemical in structure and used for therapy, then I can understand the usage.  But no matter how anyone wants to gerrymander the Queen's English here, there is a big difference between leukemia chemo and TKI drugs, so separation of definitions is necessary to be accurate.  If there is any doubt, then a person would need to view standard chemo treatment as the same thing as TKI drugs.  But I don't and never will. 

#24 DebDoodah22

DebDoodah22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:27 PM

Red-faced I was with Dona_B >>it was all gloves and baggies for my 100 mg Sprycel...at least for the first three months....and in my defense, the insert was exhaustive with precautions. I even took my empty bottles back to the pharmacy :( silly me.

I'm long over it but meds still come in a baggie marked, "CYTOTOXIC MATERIAL HANDLE PROPERLY". This used to scare the bejesus out of me but now I realize when you spend this much for pharmaceuticals they just must feel compelled to throw in a little something extra pilon, as we say in Texas or lagniappe for our Cajun friends. Labels and over the top packaging are just Bristol-Meyers way of assuring you it's the real thing that merits your investment and hard earned dollars.

It is scary in the beginning and the one remaining question I have had is, what do you do when you travel by plane? Do you take the little Baggie with the scary stickers? Do you have to worry about a labeled bottle? Do you leave some at home? Awh oh...I can feel a million worrisome thoughts bubbling up, damn SEs. You get the point...any advise?

#25 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:54 PM

I had a packet of Gleevec in my handbag and another in my luggage when I travelled to the States. TKIs are the same as when you travel with any meds.

#26 chriskuo

chriskuo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 01:42 AM

Ypu should take extra on a trip in case you get delayed but if you get a vacation exception supply, you don't necessarily have to take your whole supply with you.

#27 DebDoodah22

DebDoodah22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:22 AM

Thanks Gerry and Chris :)

#28 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:13 AM

I took extra as I was travelling overseas, no way to get any replaced.

#29 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:56 AM

My only precaution with traveling and prescription drugs is they do not leave my person.  Last fall the plane was full and they wanted to check my carry on.  I had several standing behind me under the same predicament and without thinking I handed it to the stewardess who assured me it would be put directly on the plane, like strollers left at the plane entrance.  We were in the air about 5 minutes before I realized my error.  All of my meds were in that bag.  It was too big to be stowed under the seat.  I arrived in Orlando, my bag went to Tampa.  It was 11:30 p.m.  and I drove the baggage department nuts.  My bag arrived in Orlando about 2:30 a.m. 

Right then I decided I will carry meds in small bag that can be stowed.  I realize it was a fluke, but I have had bags lost when checked at the airport for days in the past.  Keep your meds with you and make sure they bottles are marked.  They do not like pills in bottles without names and prescription information. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users