#1 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:47 AM

Found this interesting article on the high price of cancer drugs and if they are worth it in terms of efficacy. The article mentioned Sloan-Kettering's new tool to help patients decide for themselves based on how the drug affects them.

http://www.drugabacus.org

Here is a link to the article about the abacus development:

http://www.wsj.com/a...cost-1434640914

Iclusig and Bosutinib are not listed but the three main drugs for CML are.

It appears to me that Gleevec is priced appropriately, Tasigna is slightly overpriced and Sprycel is underpriced at this point based on their criteria.

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#2 chriskuo

chriskuo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:28 AM

What numbers did you use for the various criteria?

#3 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:00 PM

I didn't change any numbers because I thought theirs were right on for my experience with Sprycel. But, as Trey would say, others mileage may vary.

I didn't try it for Gleevec because I was only on it for 9 months but based on my experience before the liver toxicity I would have given it maybe a little higher score (I think it could be priced a little higher for me and I would still think it's worth it).

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users