#1 DebDoodah22

DebDoodah22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:46 PM

Anybody here supplementing these? We've talked a lot about vitamin D, magnesium, Potasium and even Curcumin, but how about B-12 and Folate?

My blood work came back with low numbers, but dr. is unconcerned...yet literature says,deficiency can lead to fatigue, depression, Vision disturbances, mental acuity and irritability.... This seems like where I am and would prefer not to be - considering adding these supplement to my routine. Anybody else doing this?

#2 cookey65

cookey65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Locationspokane, washington

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:15 PM

Hi, This is my first post, I don't have cml but was dx in 2010 with polycythemia vera. I stayed with my original Dr. until last year, I kept telling him how tired I was all the time and could hardly get up to go to work but he was not concerned. Long story shorten, saw another Dr. and found out my fatigue was from very low B-12 counts. Had a seris of shots, one a day for seven days, then once a week for a month, am now on fast dissole B-12 and feel 100% better. Just something you might have your PCP check.

Hope this helps!

#3 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:04 PM

Hi Cookey welcome to our discussion board.

My husband has polycythemia familia  he has been complaining of fatigue I never thought of his b12 being low. I'll mention it to his doc and find out what his levels are.  Thank you    Billie

#4 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:23 PM

Hi Deb,

I take b12  and magnesium b12 has helped my hair grow back and magnesium really helps with muscle cramps I believe my other meds keep me tired but I bet b12 would help you. otherwise all my doctors tell me to just take a multi-vitamin, they have told me that large doses of any herbal ingredient or supplement can be very dangerous even fatal. I was told not to take ANYTHING until my pcp and my onc approve it!!!.   Hope you feel better soon    Billie

#5 DebDoodah22

DebDoodah22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:40 AM

This is what my onc has said as well....my pcp is more willing to supplement with the right I research behind it...just looking for ways to boost flagging stamina and acuity,so I can stay employed as long as possible. Thanks Billie :)

#6 cookey65

cookey65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Locationspokane, washington

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:25 AM

Thank you for the warm welcome, unfortunately fatigue comes with PV mine was so bad that I had to retire early. At the time I had no idea that my B-12 levels were so low, had I known maybe I could have lasted longer in the work force. Oh well, at least I learned and maybe can help others avoid my mistake. Do want to let you know that the fast disolve B-12 works better than just a pill form for me at least, my system doesn't accept the B-12 in the pill form.

#7 tazdad08

tazdad08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:48 PM

I am going in two weeks for blood work to test my b-12. I am hoping its low. Maybe a bad thing to hope for, but I know my pcp wont do injections without the research and bloodwork to support me needing them. He has increased my testosterone shots and my thyroid meds to help combat fatigue. He only does this with supporting blood work. I am greatful to have a great pcp that is willing to help where my onc drops off. 

Diagnosed in September 2011. Tried one year of Sprycel. Had great response. Became undetectable in a few months. Changed to Tasigna hoping for less side effects. Self medicated myself down to 20% dose and held for 3 years before becoming detectable again. It has been a journey that has helped me realize what life is about! I am all about a balanced life. I firmly agree with my decision to lower my dose. What is life if you aren't living? Mine will never be the way it was, but it is going to be as good as I can make it! Drs PRACTICE medicine, we can guide our dr to help us with a better life! Don't settle until it's acceptable to you!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users