Photo

From the ASCO abstracts: Can curcumin induces selective packaging of miRNAs in exosomes?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mikefromillinois

mikefromillinois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:11 AM

Thought of you Scuba...

A potential role of curcumin as a new drug could be feasible:

http://meetinglibrar...tent/147856-156

Mike

#2 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:12 AM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reference. I am intrigued with the role of Exosomes in cell to cell communication in the microenvironment. It is thought that the proteins in this environment is what keeps blood stem cells quiescent until needed. Regulating these proteins at the intracellular level involves Exosomes shuttling miRNA around.

The article cites Curcumin's potential role in facilitating the disposal of excess miRNA (via the Exosomes) which can lead either to CML cell death or a return to quiescence. It's not clear which occurs.

I take a lot of Curcumin per day (two types). I suspect that Curcumin slows down, interferes or otherwise produces a poor environment from which CML can proliferate (from the bone marrow niche) perhaps in the way this article suggests and/or other ways. It's all about population control.  Curcumin may be helping slow down CML growth or even arresting it. No one really knows. But it's imperfect as TKI's are imperfect. But together? Maybe a lot more powerful.

Curcumin is just one of several phytochemicals that may help fight CML and cancer overall. I see it as a way to augment TKI therapy - perhaps enable patients to lower dose as I did and get the same or better response (in consultation with their doctor). I'm not sure that Curcumin alone can keep CML at bay permanently once a TKI deep response is achieved, but I suspect it's possible. It does take a lot of Curcumin since the compound is hydrophobic. I take it with some form of fat and pepper to increase absorption. Work is underway to identify a drug based approach based on Curcumin, but that will be years away and require long trials.

Other research is being done showing Curcumin's effect on Blast cells. In order for CML (and cancer in general) to succeed, it has to proliferate rapidly. Curucmin's downregulating power on key growth pathways is what causes cancer cells to self-destruct - perhaps even blast cells. They are deprived of the pathways they need for survival.

It's important to note that that these tests with Curcumin are done in-vitro - not in a clinical setting with patients. FDA approval would be required to conduct proper trials in people. I take Curcumin because I appreciate the Science and the risk of harm is either low or non-existent in the amounts that I do take (people have been eating Curcumin as Tumeric for thousands of years) and taking the doses I take with little issue. So I add it to my arsenal in the "belief" it is doing good. No proof except that I am now TKI free going on 4 months. Is it the Curcumin? Who knows - there's enough anecdotal evidence and lots of research that suggested to me it was worth trying. People on blood thinners should not take Curcumin (or Aspirin for that matter).

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24689857

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#3 elvis

elvis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 03:02 PM

How much curcumin is recommended?  I take sprycel.

How much would be safe dose to take on a regular basis?

Should it be taken once or twice a day etc?

#4 survenant

survenant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:47 AM

See also Can curcumin cure leukemia?

#5 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:02 AM

How much curcumin is recommended?  I take sprycel.

How much would be safe dose to take on a regular basis?

Should it be taken once or twice a day etc?

According to Dr. Aggarwal (Professor, Department of Experimental Therapeutics, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center), for Cancer therapeutic levels need to be above 8 grams of 95% Curcuminoids (less than 12 grams). The one they use at M.D. Anderson for studies is  C3 complex. I take two varieties - C3 complex and also a micronized version that is supposed to be more bioavailable. Curcumin is naturally hydrophobic and little of plain Curcumin is absorbed into the bloodstream, hence the high dose. Taking Curcumin with pepper and some form of fat helps increase absorption.

Unfortunately most of the Curcumin that is ingested passes through the body. Very good for the colon since the colon is exposed to lots of Curcumin. 

I take mine throughout the day a couple of grams at a time. I am considering lowering my dose while switching to the more bio-available forms just because I don't like taking so many pills and it certainly costs more. During the last couple of months I have gone many days on and off with just six grams - sometimes four grams and substituted the micronized version of Curcumin (claims higher bioavailability). My PCR is still undetected while off Sprycel.

Can Curcumin cure leukemia? No. Nothing can "cure" leukemia - yet. Curcumin may help control leukemia - help TKI's do their job better at perhaps a lower dose. It certainly seems that way for me. I achieved PCRU while only on 20mg. Sprycel. Studies show Curcumin interferes with the pathways that ramp up leukemia.

Talk to your doctor about adding Curcumin with your TKI.

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

#6 elvis

elvis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 06:40 PM

Hi Scuba,

With so many brands that are being touted as the best I have the confusion what to buy?

Is there any particular brand that you could recommend based on  your research?

Thanks

elvis

#7 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 13 June 2015 - 06:45 AM

Hi Scuba,

With so many brands that are being touted as the best I have the confusion what to buy?

Is there any particular brand that you could recommend based on  your research?

Thanks

elvis

I'll send you a PM. The key in any Curcumin is its bioavailability. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users