Photo

question for trey (or others): virus.fever.platelets.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lucas

Lucas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:21 AM

recently i had an bad virus - dengue fever or zika virus. the doctors couldn't tell me what it was - and that virus get platelets and neutrophils down, so i had to had a cbc every 3 days and my platelets were around 88-86 (i thought: oh, that's nice, just a little fall). for the last 4-5 months my platelets were around 95-100 and yesterday they were 129! my all tki time record. i was talking with another brazilian cml patient who had the same virus as i and he told me that his platelets were around 150 and 15 days after the virus his platelets numbers went up to 325. I found this fact very strange. is there any logical explanation to this? is it a rebound effect? i'm happy with my number, just hope that it does not affect my pcr :)

#2 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 10:45 AM

As a person of low platelets and pancytopenia issues, all I can say is we are all different.  Although most CML responds well to drug therapy, our responses and side effects vary from person to person.  The disease appears the same (or similar, really), but the persons are different.  We have different DNA and different lives, influences, exposures and live in various environments.  This all has an effect.  No one can nail anything down.  The increase in plateles may be due to the virus or the treatment.  But if it hasn't been studied, it is unknown.  Two people are not enough for a good sample size for a research study.  It could be just coincidence.  Moreover, it could have nothing to due with the CML. 

Stay well!  All the best,

Tedsey

#3 Lucas

Lucas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:30 AM

thanks, tedsey. i'm fine now, but it was a funny situation. six days ago - when i was having just a few symptons of the virus - my platelets were 86 (my normal was around 95-100 for the last 5 months) and yesterday - without any symptons of the virus - my platelets were 129. i was thinking that the virus knocked hard on me and my body rebounded it and my platelets are up now. hope you're doing fine too.

#4 mamawarrior

mamawarrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:56 AM

Viruses can suppress the marrow and essentially wipe out the platelets. Son had aml and a transplant and numerous times his platelets would tank when sick.

The lifespan of a platelet is very short compared to the othe cells, only about a week and even shorter with transfused platelets.

#5 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:52 AM

Lucas,

As mentioned already, viruses can decrease platelets.  Dengue certainly does, and Zika may also.  The reason is that although we think of platelets as only useful for wound clotting, they have also immune functions.  So your drop in platelet count is normal.

It would be normal for the platelet count to rebound after the virus is under control, but yours went up to much higher levels after having a long term low platelet issue.  It is interesting to see the large bounce in your platelet numbers.  If your platelet count remains greatly improved, this could show a means to deal with low platelets in some cases, since this could become a method for resetting the low platelet issue.  I don't know.  So please keep posting on what happens with your platelet counts. 

http://www.medscape....rticle/814687_4

#6 Lucas

Lucas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:28 PM

thanks, trey. zika and dengue are similar virus. dengue decreases the platelets and that's the reason why i had to check mine every 3 days - they couldn't exclude a dengue diagnosis even with a negative test.  my symptoms started on may/20 and i had a cbc on may/21 (my platelets were 93K and my previous one, on april/06 were 97K. so, almost the same level). on may/23 my platelets were 88K and on may/26 were 86K. then, on may/29 my platelets went up to 129K (after 10 days the platelets always return to normal levels in dengue. but it was much higher than my normal and the same happened with another member of the cml brazil website). i also had atypical lymphocites - common on dengue - and a little basophilia - just the % not the total - on may/26, but it's all normal now. i'll have another cbc for my cml check up next week and i'll let you know my results. trey, it's probably unlikely that this virus affected my cml, isn't it? thanks again. cheers.

#7 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:22 PM

The virus would not affect your CML.  Your blood is acting normally to deal with the virus.  It would be interesting if the virus could actually improve platelet levels, especially if it is permanent.

#8 Lucas

Lucas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 03:30 PM

The dream is over: platelets back to 95K. also my lipase went up. like a rollercoaster. and my neutrophils are around 1300 the lowest i ever had on a tki. probably because of the healing process of the virus. 

#9 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:11 PM

It was nice while it lasted. 

#10 winespritzer

winespritzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:06 PM

Lucas,

Good, good luck.

Winespritzer

CML History....

DX-1/14....wbc....55....100mg Sprycel-1 wk after DX....periorbital edema, fatigue,

.385-4/14

.365-7/14

.13-10/14

.11-1/15

.045-4/15

.07-7/15

.06-10/15

.04-1/16

0.00- 4/16-10/17

70mg Sprycel...11/4/17....40 mg prednisone (7 days)....thoracentisis...10/26/17

tremendous reduction w periorbital edema and fatigue

1 user(s) are reading this topic