#1 sunshineC

sunshineC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNottingham, PA

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:09 AM

As some of you know, I have been struggling with really bad stomach pain for over a year now, which I have always believed was a side effect (for me anyway) of the Sprycel (100 mg/day).  My onc asked me to get an Endoscopy and CAT Scan to rule out any other problems that may be causing it.  Both were negative.  Big take-away is the doc who did those tests did some research and came up with a drug that will not contradict the effectiveness of the Sprycel.  This works on the lining of the stomach, not the stomach acid.  He prescribed Sucralfate 1gm, 4/day.  I take one tablet an hour before I eat.  Ever since I've been taking these I have not experienced any stomach pain.  This, of course, has meant a world of difference to me.  I'm not saying it's the answer for everyone, I just wanted to share what has helped me.  Anyone would have to talk to their doc anyway, as it is a prescription.

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:31 PM

Good to hear you are getting some relief.

The max time period for taking Sucralfate is 8 weeks, so I hope it can help turn around the issue for the longer term.

http://www.drugs.com...sucralfate.html

#3 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:41 AM

As some of you know, I have been struggling with really bad stomach pain for over a year now, which I have always believed was a side effect (for me anyway) of the Sprycel (100 mg/day).  My onc asked me to get an Endoscopy and CAT Scan to rule out any other problems that may be causing it.  Both were negative.  Big take-away is the doc who did those tests did some research and came up with a drug that will not contradict the effectiveness of the Sprycel.  This works on the lining of the stomach, not the stomach acid.  He prescribed Sucralfate 1gm, 4/day.  I take one tablet an hour before I eat.  Ever since I've been taking these I have not experienced any stomach pain.  This, of course, has meant a world of difference to me.  I'm not saying it's the answer for everyone, I just wanted to share what has helped me.  Anyone would have to talk to their doc anyway, as it is a prescription.

Ulcers of the stomach are often caused by Pylori bacteria which grow due to an imbalance in the digestive fluid environment. Pylori bacteria are the wrong bacteria you want in your stomach. This is caused by lack of Sulfur (as various sulfates) in your diet which is from not eating enough cruciferous veggies (Broccoli, a cruciferous veggie,  is high in Sulfur). Sucralfate works by providing an alternative form of Sulfur which kills the bacteria and allows your stomach to heal. As pointed out - you can't keep taking this stuff, and when you stop, the Pylori bacteria will likely re-start.

A likely cure would be to include a larger than normal portion of cruciferous veggies. with Broccoli at the top of the list, in your daily diet. 

http://www.gardening...-vegetables.htm

Radish's, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower are all good sources of natural sulfur that will destroy Pylori bacteria and restore your gut to a normal balance. And these veggies are good for you in other ways.

Stomach ulcers are a strong indication of an out of whack digestive system and can lead to a host of other problems if not corrected.

The correction is not drugs - but food. Drugs can give relief, but are usually temporary. 

(I had a series of stomach ulcers many many years ago - long before CML and a wise doctor told me, start eating Broccoli. Within days, the ulcer pain was gone and I have never had one since. But be warned - eating broccoli and cauliflower together in a 1:1 ratio will lead to explosive gas 4-6 hours later. And it is sulfur smelling gas. Think about that. Your body will adjust as it develops the good bacteria, but until it does, you will clear out rooms ... which can be an advantage if you want the room and TV remote to yourself.)

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#4 sunshineC

sunshineC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNottingham, PA

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:07 AM

Thanks guys.  I really appreciate the info.  Doc didn't say anything about it being a temporary fix.  I was just so relieved to not be in pain and be able to go to work every day. 

Question for you - when the doc did the endoscopy, he said he took a sample (I guess of the lining of my stomach) and said it was all negative.  Wouldn't that pylori bacteria have shown up in that?  Truly not looking for problems, I'm really hoping that's it.  I would much rather eat than swallow more pills!!  And leave it to you Scuba to find a positive outcome for the human gas bomb!!  LOL!!

#5 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:58 AM

Thanks guys.  I really appreciate the info.  Doc didn't say anything about it being a temporary fix.  I was just so relieved to not be in pain and be able to go to work every day. 

Question for you - when the doc did the endoscopy, he said he took a sample (I guess of the lining of my stomach) and said it was all negative.  Wouldn't that pylori bacteria have shown up in that?  Truly not looking for problems, I'm really hoping that's it.  I would much rather eat than swallow more pills!!  And leave it to you Scuba to find a positive outcome for the human gas bomb!!  LOL!!

Hey ... if it gets you the remote control - that's a positive outcome.

(endoscopy sampling is not 100% and can miss detection. The fact that the sulfur drug you took - worked, suggests Pylori. At the end of your prescription, try Broccoli (assuming you like Broccoli) - could do the trick)

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

#6 sunshineC

sunshineC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNottingham, PA

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:50 AM

Thanks Scuba.  I love broccoli, and cauliflower too!  The others... not so much.  But, I can't imagine getting tired of those two anyway - at least right now.  But even if I have to acquire a taste for something else on the list for a change, as i said, I'd much rather do that than take pills.  I really hope you're right.  Thanks again.

#7 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:15 AM

Thanks Scuba.  I love broccoli, and cauliflower too!  The others... not so much.  But, I can't imagine getting tired of those two anyway - at least right now.  But even if I have to acquire a taste for something else on the list for a change, as i said, I'd much rather do that than take pills.  I really hope you're right.  Thanks again.

Here's a link on the effect:

http://www.whfoods.c...me=news&dbid=44

When I had the ulcer/Pylori attack years and years ago, I told the doctor that I liked Broccoli, so why did I get the Ulcer. And he told me - "you think you like broccoli, when was the last time you ate it where it was a significant part of your diet, 5 out of the 7 days?". In other words, I hadn't had Broccoli in a while even though I thought I ate it regularly.

So I started chomping down on Broccoli at lunch and had Broccoli around as a snack (with or without a dip and raw) as well as with dinner. After a few days of this - the pain was gone and after a week I scaled back my Broccoli eating. 

I pretty much eat Broccoli most days of the week - raw, steamed, or sauteed with garlic. And I do admit there are times when I'll go long stretches without eating it, but mostly when traveling or on vacation. It does take a while for Pylori to set up shop.

When I want the remote control, I add cauliflower!

#8 sunshineC

sunshineC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNottingham, PA

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:11 PM

So, you keep eating the broccoli, even tho it's been years since you had problems.  So, 'several bunches of broccoli a day keeps the pylori away!'  And I too like it all different ways.  Cauliflower too.  I will have to save that combination for a real "special" time!!  :D

#9 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:49 PM

Not sure how you tolerate dairy but little known fact, Sprycel contains lactose. For some people that can cause a problem.
Date  -  Lab  -  Scale  -  Drug  -  Dosage MG  - PCR
2010/Jul -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 1.2%
2010/Oct -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.25%
2010/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.367%
2011/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.0081%
2011/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2011/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.00084%
2011/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.004%
2012/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2013/Jan -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  50-60-70  - 0%
2013/Mar -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  60-70  - 0%
2013/Apr -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.036%
2013/May -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.046%
2013/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.0239%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0192%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0034%
2013/Oct -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0054%
2014/Jan -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0093%
2014/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.013%
2014/Apr -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0048%
2014/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2014/Nov -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.047%
2014/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0228%
2016/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Dec - Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  100 - 0%

#10 sunshineC

sunshineC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNottingham, PA

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:09 AM

Nope Lucky, I'm good with all dairy.  Thanks for the heads up tho.  I have never heard that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users