3 replies to this topic

#1 snowbear

snowbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:24 PM

Since starting Gleevec 4.5 months ago, my RBC and hemoglobin levels have dropped.  But, it's not too bad yet, I don't think.  Last month, my RBC was in the 3's and hemoglobin around 10.  

Even so, I've started feeling well enough to begin walking again.  This past Thursday, after work, I went to the park and walked a 4 mile loop around the lake (in 82 minutes).  It was a beautiful cool day - perfect for walking and running outside.  Since then, I've been so exhausted I can barely move.  I'm not sore - just extremely tired. Too tired to even crochet which I love, lol.  I realize maybe 4 miles was too much, too soon but I walked it all at a normal pace. No running.  My breathing and heart rate were good.  I didn't get dizzy.

Will brisk walking make my anemia worse?  I thought it would help the fatigue, but it just seems to be making it worse!!!

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:32 PM

Exercise generally brings more oxygen into the body, which is healthy.  If you are anemic, you are low on oxygen, so exercise is good.  Also, if your body senses you need more blood cells, it will tend to manufacture more (not precise, but close enough), so exercise is good in that regard.  Not a cure-all, but overall good for you. 

#3 klf2013

klf2013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:29 AM

Since starting Gleevec 4.5 months ago, my RBC and hemoglobin levels have dropped.  But, it's not too bad yet, I don't think.  Last month, my RBC was in the 3's and hemoglobin around 10.  

Even so, I've started feeling well enough to begin walking again.  This past Thursday, after work, I went to the park and walked a 4 mile loop around the lake (in 82 minutes).  It was a beautiful cool day - perfect for walking and running outside.  Since then, I've been so exhausted I can barely move.  I'm not sore - just extremely tired. Too tired to even crochet which I love, lol.  I realize maybe 4 miles was too much, too soon but I walked it all at a normal pace. No running.  My breathing and heart rate were good.  I didn't get dizzy.

Will brisk walking make my anemia worse?  I thought it would help the fatigue, but it just seems to be making it worse!!!

Hi Snow,

I have this same phenomena....I blame the TKI. Any time I try to increase my activity, I fight that lingering exhaustion. I have found pacing myself to do what normally would be an easy distance and not a stretch, is how I can keep away the heavy exhaustion.  2 miles, no hills, boring pace. :(  I try to increase little by little...change my route, more hills etc.  Prior to CML I was pretty active and went to the gym alot, so a 4 mile walk would have normally been easy. Now, when I do that, I exhausted tired for a day and a half!!

#4 snowbear

snowbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:15 PM

Anemic or not, I think I just overdid it.  I'm still not back to my normal...whatever that normal is anymore.  But six months ago, I wasn't  able to walk 4 feet without gasping for air so to even be able to walk 4 miles just a few months after starting the Gleevec is remarkable. But I guess it's better to slow down and be able to do a little bit more often than to do a lot and pay for it for days afterward.   

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users