9 replies to this topic

#1 dede5

dede5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 10:50 PM

I've heard a lot about Apple Cider Vinegar and how it supposedly kills off cancer cells, either to prevent or fight cancer. I've read that Bragg's organic is the healthiest kind. I would just like to know if anyone has heard about this. I've tried it a few times but it's so strong I can't find a way to get it down unless I hide it in collard greens or something like that. Just want to know if it's worth the trouble and if Bragg's is any better than the others.

Dx: 01 March 2011

Sprycel 100 mg per day since dx 

MMR: July 2013

numerous side effects 

Thankful for the gift of each new day, and try to live it to the fullest  :D

#2 Dona_B

Dona_B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:10 PM

I heard and I don't remember where that vinegar of any kind can be hard  on the teeth. Also did hear that Bragg is the best.

It sounds like warm lemon juice would do the same with better taste. I first heard of it from Food Babe. You may have heard of her on Facebook. She exposes the unhealthy food ingredients and calls for consumers to act.

Here are two other links: http://www.ashleysgr...ater-lemon.html

http://kriscarr.com/...-alkaline-diet/

I don't know if any of you have heard of Beat Cancer. It's a non-profit that fights cancer through education and phone counseling.. Think it's located on the East Coast. It's also on Facebook.

DX 1/14; Sprycel 100 Mg, liver toxicity; Sprycel 80 Mg; down to 50 Mg for 5 months. Numbers going up. Back to 80 Mg 10/16 (with 50s slipped in to use up) BCR/ABL: .0047 12/15; .0302 4/16;  .0528 8/16;  .084 10/16; .045, 1/17 back up on 80 mg Sprycel; .006, 3/17; .016, 7/17; Shingles 8/17

#3 Dona_B

Dona_B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:44 PM

And here's a cleansing detox soup that calls for lemon. http://www.theglowin...ing-detox-soup/  It wasn't bad made with chicken broth and served with crackers. Guess that defeated the purpose, oh well, baby steps.

DX 1/14; Sprycel 100 Mg, liver toxicity; Sprycel 80 Mg; down to 50 Mg for 5 months. Numbers going up. Back to 80 Mg 10/16 (with 50s slipped in to use up) BCR/ABL: .0047 12/15; .0302 4/16;  .0528 8/16;  .084 10/16; .045, 1/17 back up on 80 mg Sprycel; .006, 3/17; .016, 7/17; Shingles 8/17

#4 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:10 PM

I'll second what Dona said about apple cider vinegar and teeth. I saw it on webmd. It also has a bad effect on your stomach. I wouldn't take it straight or mixed with water or take too much of it. Of course, you can use it on salad as you would any vinegar. Don't expect miracles. Webmd, I think, said it is not effective enough to be used as a supplement.

Diagnosed in February 2014. Started Imatinib 400 in April.
2014:     3.18     0.91
2015:     0.22     0.16     0.04     0.55
2016:     0.71     0.66

(Started Imatinib 600 in April 2016)
2016:     0.42     0.13     0.45
2017:     0.17     0.06     0.10     0.06     0.34

#5 dede5

dede5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:01 PM

Dona & Dom: I appreciate the input. I've read and heard people talk about being annoyed when someone suggests trying things they've heard about that may help fight cancer. I, on the other hand, am willing to try just about anything in an effort to feel better. Glad I asked here first, though, because I would've never thought about it causing problems with my teeth. The salad and detox soup sounds great, though  :)

Dx: 01 March 2011

Sprycel 100 mg per day since dx 

MMR: July 2013

numerous side effects 

Thankful for the gift of each new day, and try to live it to the fullest  :D

#6 Dona_B

Dona_B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:28 AM

Dede,

I can relate to wanting to try anything. I've spent so many hours on the computer and several reading a book but not completing a book by T. Colin Campbell that was supposed to convince me to eat whole foods. However, I was working at the time and I didn't get past the technical stuff before the library loan ended. The most painful was a friend/stylist/independent salesperson who got me on Juice Plus. It had it's good points and probably helped the 3/4 of a year I took it but I couldn't afford it and the alternate way of paying to join would have screwed up our taxes when we wanted to get them to the point we could prepare them ourselves. Long story short. I feel like I lost a friend and stylist as she seemed more concerned about her new sales business.

The most helpful but too far away for weekly visits was Elevation Health. It's a chiropractor that focuses on function (chiropractics), but also nutrition, exercise, and education. They get together four times a year for continuing ed and to discuss more difficult cases. He had a free cancer prevention workshop in a nearby town but practiced 1 1/2 hours away. He asked for a complete medical history and ordered blood tests, many that my onc hadn't requested. In each adjustment cubicle, there was a computer with all the health issues of the patient pulled up.

Anyway, that's part of my "journey" :) (Guess that's why it's called a journey.) Lately I'm just doing the best I can. Trying to eat good and exercising when I can and my back allows it.

#7 CMcLain

CMcLain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:27 AM

Hi all! I've been using Apple cider vinegar for about a year now. I mix 1 T in 8 oz of water. It's a great mid-day pick me up and ACV offers many health benefits. It's great for stabilizing blood sugar. I used to get shaky mid-morning because I'm hypoglycemic. This no longer happens to me! ๐Ÿ˜Š It's also beneficial for those who suffer from indigestion, acid reflux, or other GI type issues. Also, it's an excellent toner for your skin! Mix equal parts ACV and water and use as an astringent for your face. ๐Ÿ'๐Ÿป And, I rinse my fruits and veggies with it. ACV kills bacteria that can sometimes be found on fresh produce.
As you can see, I'm a big fan of the stuff!
Charissa

#8 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:43 AM

My brother swears by it, but a very weak mixture gives me indigestion. My dentist is against using it because of the enamel damage on the teeth. My friend tried it once but only read part of the article. She took a nice chug of the bottle. That was first & last time for her apple cider vinegar experience.

I believe if it makes you feel better and causes no harm, use it. Charissa loves the stuff and she is not afraid to say so. There are ways to get around the teeth issue, Brushing and rinsing after consuming and not swishing it around your mouth before swallowing would help.

My brother also says dill pickle juice is good for you. I don't always take his advice.

#9 CMcLain

CMcLain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:15 PM

Never, never use it straight! Must be diluted with water or some sort of juice. My dentist says there is no harm as long as you rinse with water or brush afterwards. ๐Ÿ˜Š

#10 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:04 AM

How funny this topic just came up.  I heard about Braggs for clearing out the sinuses.  I have been trying it for that.  It actually tastes very good with some honey.  Sometimes I take 1-2 teaspoons in 8oz. of water with a teaspoon of honey.  I think it tastes a little like lemonade. 
I would take it in the way opposite hours you take your TKI.  From what I hear, TKIs need an acidic environment for it to be broken down and absorbed best.  Not sure if the Braggs has any effect on stomach acid, but the claim is that it is supposed to make the body (i.e. stomach because that is where it goes first) more alkaline.  My musings are totally unscientific however.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users