13 replies to this topic

#1 shaynalee

shaynalee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:41 AM

Hi everyone, my fiance was recently diagnosed with cml. I found this forum and have been following a few threads that have been extremely helpful, so thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences.

We arent thrilled with his dr (we believe in nutrition along with medicine, but he basically says nutrition supplementation is pointless). He is always in a hurry wait time is ridiculous, and he makes us feel like every question we ask is stupid. We are currently searching his insurance network for someone else.

I figured I put put the facts up and any additional insight or help is appreciated!

26 years old
Dx 3 weeks ago Due to high wbc 111, 000
Sprycel 100mg
At 1 week blood test, wbc down to 46, 000
low side of normal in iron and vitamin d
Supplements : iron, 2000 iu d3 twice daily , probiotics, tumeric, magnesium and b2 for headaches when needed
Side effects of sprycel: migraines first few days, now headaches every so often, a couple bruises, fatigue, occasional nausea

His bmb results said he is ph+, but everything else on there we dont understand. His rbc and hemoglobin is a little low, we were told its normal when starting sprycel. we dont know what much of the other stuff listed is or what it means.

Thanks for reading!

#2 Gail's

Gail's

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:33 AM

Trey is good at interpreting results if you post them. Welcome to this group although I'm sorry you had to find us. Take courage and let us know how it goes.
Diagnosed 1/15/15
FISH 92%
BMB 9:22 translocation
1/19/15 began 400 mg gleevec
1/22/15 bcr 37.2 IS
2/6/15 bcr 12.5 IS
3/26/15 bcr 10.3 IS
6/29/15 bcr 7.5 IS
9/24/15 bcr 0.8 IS
1/4/16 bcr 0.3 IS
Started 100 mg dasatinib, mutation analysis negative
4/20/16 bcr 0.03 IS
8/8/16 bcr 0.007 IS
12/6/16 bcr 0.002 IS
Lowered dasatinib to 70 mg
4/10/17 bcr 0.001 IS
Lowered dasatinib to 50 mg
7/5/17 bcr 0.004 IS
8/10/17 bcr 0.001. Stopped TKI in prep for September surgery.
9/10/17 bcr 0.006
10/10/17 bcr 0.088

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:35 PM

You can post his BMB report if you wish.  Black out personal info.  Follow these instructions:

http://community.lls...l=+post +photos

#4 shaynalee

shaynalee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 02:11 PM

Here are his results Trey, thank you for your reply! Hoping you can interpret some of it better than I can.

Also, for anyone on sprycel... how do you manage the fatigue and sun sensitivity? Its really affecting his day to day activities and work.

Attached Files

#5 shaynalee

shaynalee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 02:21 PM

First page...had forgotten to remove personal info

Attached Files

#6 Lucas

Lucas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:11 PM

hey, shaynalee, it seems you discover your cml early. you have rare blast and that's a great thing. also you have low eosinophils and basophils (great thing too!). you have the PH chromossome in all cells analysed and that's the normal for cml. i don't know what the cd56 cells means. good luck!

#7 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:14 PM

The lab reports (BMB, FISH, Flow Cytometry, etc) simply show standard Chronic Phase CML.  Nothing to be concerned about.  The only issue for him now is how well he responds to the Sprycel.  He should have FISH and/or PCR done every three months at first, and CBCs at least monthly, so make sure that is being done.

Although the report mentions MDS in one paragraph that is not accurate since CML has CD56 expression in the leukemic myeloid cells.  So that is not an issue.  CML cells look like some forms of MDS and many lab techs don't know that.

I am impressed with how the lab did all the right tests.  This is not always the case.

Taking vitamins is a good idea especially while the blood is being reconstituted.  But I do not believe they have much to do with drug response except that taking Vit C at the same time as the drug helps assure proper acidity which helps drug uptake.  But that is a minor issue.  Go easy on the iron -- a person can get too much.

So let us know the FISH and PCRs results.

http://community.lls...w-updated-2014/

#8 dede5

dede5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:11 PM

Also, for anyone on sprycel... how do you manage the fatigue and sun sensitivity? Its really affecting his day to day activities and work.

I can only speak for myself, and it doesn't affect everyone the same way, but both of those are pretty extreme for me. Some say the side effects ease up after awhile, but that hasn't really happened for me. I can say that the fatigue is worse some days than others. I've just had to make some lifestyle alterations. As for the sun, I avoid it like Count Dracula himself. It isn't lost on me that he also has a blood disorder :wacko: 

Maybe some others will give you a different perspective on this. 

Dx: 01 March 2011

Sprycel 100 mg per day since dx 

MMR: July 2013

numerous side effects 

Thankful for the gift of each new day, and try to live it to the fullest  :D

#9 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:54 PM

Hi Shaynalee, as we say to you and your fiance welcome to the club nobody wants to join.It is such a shock at first and you feel so alone, we have all gone through the same thing. I highly recommend you get a new oncologist, I got a new oncologist 3 weeks after my diagnosis. Many people on the board have the locations of all the oncs all over the country. He is young and I think he will be able to cope with the fatigue, there are a lot more people that will tell you how to cope with fatigue.Sun sensitivity is a classic side-effect, he has to wear a strong sunscreen            Good Luck Billie

#10 shaynalee

shaynalee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:28 AM

we are currently looking for a new oncologist, although we dont have many options in our area. Hopefully we find someone in our ppo network soon.

The current onc is having him come in weekly for blood tests for the next 3 months...I know he wants to make ure he is responding appropriately, but it seems excessive to me....

#11 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:18 AM

we are currently looking for a new oncologist, although we dont have many options in our area. Hopefully we find someone in our ppo network soon.

The current onc is having him come in weekly for blood tests for the next 3 months...I know he wants to make ure he is responding appropriately, but it seems excessive to me....

Once a week is normal in the beginning - especially with Sprycel. Sprycel can cause severe myelosuppression (very low Neutrophils/platelets). This needs to be monitored for 4-12 weeks to determine response. Once he levels out and actually recover, then you can start a 3 month program (FISH at first followed by PCR). If myelosuppression occurs, then dose reduction can be done to find the right dose for response.

It is likely your husband will respond fast to Sprycel (w/ deep response). Your goal is FISH = zero; followed by PCR dropping to 0.1% (major molecular remission). If he gets to 0.1% PCR quickly - he will never die from CML - worry about other things. 

I strongly believe in nutritional support - especially vitamin D, K2 and Curcumin. I personally have taken my vitamin D level to high normal (around 60-70 ng/ml) and work to keep it there. If nothing else - your husband may not need full dose to maintain excellent response. 

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#12 shaynalee

shaynalee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:42 AM

That makes sense Scuba. He is taking vitamin d and tumeric, it does seem to help with the fatigue and achiness. Any particular brand of curcumin? I just grabbed Gaia tumeric extra strength

#13 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:50 AM

That makes sense Scuba. He is taking vitamin d and tumeric, it does seem to help with the fatigue and achiness. Any particular brand of curcumin? I just grabbed Gaia tumeric extra strength

M.D. Anderson Cancer center is doing studies with Sabinsa C3 Curcumin. This is the Curcumin I take (8 grams per day). Turmeric is too low bioavailable to be much use in Cancer - although it is very good for arthritis aches and pains.

Assuming I can remain off Sprycel (my own personal trial), I will probably lower my Curcumin dose from 8 grams per day to 4 grams per day - as 1 gram caplets (I hate taking pills).

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#14 shaynalee

shaynalee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:45 PM

My hubby hates taking them too! If it wasnt for me, he honestly wouldnt even take the sprycel...he's quite stubborn. Lol. I will look into getting something more like the one you take then, thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users