Photo

Interferon alpha 2 maintenance therapy may enable high rates of treatment discontinuation in chronic myeloid leukemia

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:56 PM

http://www.nature.co...leu201545a.html

"In conclusion, an IFN/imatinib induction treatment followed by a temporary IFN maintenance therapy may enable a high rate of treatment discontinuation in CML patients in at least MMR when stopping imatinib."

Could someone please explain the term: IFN maintenance therapy?

How often would one take this Interferon Alpha 2a?

The side effects look pretty awful: http://www.drugs.com...de-effects.html

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:43 PM

A disingenuous conclusion IMHO.  If you only count those who have stopped all therapy, only 9 of 20 (45%) remain PCRU without continuing IFN therapy.  Same as without IFN, pre-treatment or otherwise.

I also don't trust small studies like this one with only 20 patients.  A change in one patient swings the percentages by a large margin.

IFN maintenance therapy means you stop the TKI and continue with low dose IFN.  Side effects are less than full IFN therapy as in the old days.   

#3 jjg

jjg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:07 PM

TeddyB - I'm guessing you can't see the whole article? The interferon doses were:

First-line therapy in this cohort consisted of a combination of imatinib (400mg p.o. daily) and concomitant subcutaneous injections of either recombinant IFN (3-5 injections × 3-5 Mio. IU weekly) or 90-135μg pegylated IFNα2a (Pegasys, Roche, Basel, Switzerland) once every 1 to 3 weeks according to efficacy and tolerability

Low-dose IFN maintenance therapy consisted of Peg-IFN2a at a median dose of 135μg every 4 weeks (range, 135mg every 2-12 weeks) (n=17), or IFN 2 to 4 × 3 Mill IU IFN/week (n=3)

I was on IFN which is supposed to have worse side effects then the pegylated version. I started with 3.5 M IU 3x a week and built up to 3.5 M IU daily - only had a response when it was at the final dose. Side effects were not good but you do develop a tolerance for most of them. I was scaling up the dosage so that the side effects remained at a tolerable (just) level i.e. initially the 3x per week dose generated a similar level of side effects as the daily dose generated 2 months later.

While not quite what this research was looking at the result is interesting for those who might need to go off TKIs (e.g. for pregnancy) after having had a good treatment response. I don't think much work has been done on treating people in MMR with interferon to see if interferon can maintain the MMR. Obviously a small trial so the statistics can only ever prove/justify the need for more research, however those patients were followed for a long time and it is a very good journal.

Dx Dec 2010 @37

2x IVF egg collection

Glivec 600 & 800mg

PCRU March 2012

Unsuccessful pregnancy attempt - relapsed, 3 months interferon (intron A), bad side effects from interferon

Nilotinib 600mg Oct 2012

PCRU April 2013, 2 years MR4.5 mostly PCRU with a few blips

April 2015 stopped again for pregnancy attempt (donor egg), pregnant first transfer, 0.110 at 10wks, 2.1 at 14wks, 4.2 at 16wks, started interferon, slow dose increase to 25MIU per wk, at full dose PCR< 1 for remainder of pregnancy

Healthy baby girl Jan 2016, breastfed one month

Nilotinib 600mg Feb 2016

MMR May 2016

PCRU Feb 2017

#4 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:50 PM

I cannot understand how a person could agree to taking such a drug. If all the tkis stopped working for me I would not want to be in any kind of new trial, I would let nature take its course. Quality of life is more important for as long as we have it. Just my 2cents.

Billie

#5 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:24 PM

I remember talking with someone on a forum about going on a trial of INF and Gleevec, my doc was surprised that they were in a trial for this  when I mentioned it to him.

#6 jjg

jjg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:55 PM

Billie I understand what you are saying but if you read the text: "The four patients who currently still administer IFN every 4-12 weeks do so upon own request." 

I actually suspect that at that low dose the interferon is not too bad for those who have built up tolerance over a long time.

For me 800mg Glivec was as life destroying as interferon (600mg glivec was also pretty awful). I'm extremely grateful for tasigna. Because of that I don't really understand why some people stick to glivec when they have bad side effects and less than optimum results. I guess sticking to interferon is following the same logic.

Dx Dec 2010 @37

2x IVF egg collection

Glivec 600 & 800mg

PCRU March 2012

Unsuccessful pregnancy attempt - relapsed, 3 months interferon (intron A), bad side effects from interferon

Nilotinib 600mg Oct 2012

PCRU April 2013, 2 years MR4.5 mostly PCRU with a few blips

April 2015 stopped again for pregnancy attempt (donor egg), pregnant first transfer, 0.110 at 10wks, 2.1 at 14wks, 4.2 at 16wks, started interferon, slow dose increase to 25MIU per wk, at full dose PCR< 1 for remainder of pregnancy

Healthy baby girl Jan 2016, breastfed one month

Nilotinib 600mg Feb 2016

MMR May 2016

PCRU Feb 2017

#7 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:05 PM

jjg: correct, i could only see the abstract.

In the Euroski study, the stopping success rate was high for those who had been on TKI`s for 8 years +, "only" 26% relapsed, this sounds better than going off and on IFN, but who knows, im no expert :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users