#1 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:05 PM

Hi! It's been a few years since I had any issues so evidently it's time! This past Saturday, totally out of the blue, I experienced arrythmia. It wasn't the run of the mill skip a beat here and there, I've been there, no big deal. This was a dead fish flopping in my chest with 2 beats pause, 2 beats pause and then occasionally 3 beats pause. Very disconcerting. It lasted off and on for several hours and I finally fell asleep. The next day I went for my walk, did usual stuff around the house, climbed up and down stairs, etc. not a blip!

Last night I went to sleep early and woke up with the same arrythmia. Totally freaked me out, but then I'm easily freaked. I was considering the ER 15 minutes in when it suddenly stopped.

Today, I had an 8 am appt. to review my BP medicine. Taking 10mg. lisinopril with 12.5mg. HCTZ. Didn't like HCTZ when I was taking 25mg. so I stopped for about a year, but liked the idea of a mild diuretic so I asked for a reduced dose. We're stopping the HCTZ and upping the Lisinopril to 20mg. a day. Feel better taking something non-combination until we see what's up.

One other thing I will have her check when I go back on Monday is thyroid. Mine is high (5.5) but I was told at Mayo they don't treat unless it reaches 10.

I'm taking Sprycel 50mg. I'd be interested in your thoughts, experiences, etc.. Thanks!

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#2 Taylor

Taylor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:52 PM

Hi Pat,

This sounds a lot like when I went to into atrial fibriliation with rapid ventricular response twice with Tasigna. Basically, my atria were fibrillating to such a degree that it was causing my ventricles to have PVCs constantly while the heart tried to reset itself.

First time it happened, I went to the ER and they gave me drip Cardizem, and admitted me overnight, pumping me with more Cardizem. It did nothing for me, but eventually they gave me a huge potassium horse pill (after saying my levels were fine) and it went away on its own within 30 minutes. (I was already on 25mg atenolol at this time for generally more rapid heart rate on Tasigna). My cardio prescribed me a large 10MeQ potassium pill every day which helped some.

The second time, on Christmas Eve, they shocked me back into rhythm.

Both incidents were precipitated by, strangely enough, laying backward and hitting my back on the bed.

Tasigna always gave me blips, weird flutters, increased PVCs, what I considered moments of a-fib, and so on. After the second a-fib incident, my onc switched me to Sprycel. This was the biggest boon to me, with none, as far as I can tell, heart issues except for PVCs (which for me, are mostly trigged by GI distress including burps or heartburn). Keep in mind I'm only 28 and have no history of anything except maybe one PVC every quarter when I was little.

That being said, I would not put it past a TKI to be the source of this issue for you, even though Sprycel is working for me in that regard. I'd check it out and also increase potassium and magnesium, maybe even have a blood draw. If your levels are borderline or on the low side of normal, I would possibly even try to advocate for a prescription potassium and see what happens.

#3 simone4

simone4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 03:03 PM

Pat, the monitor is a good way to go. I wore one for one month,
had to remove the leads every night when I showered and then put
new ones back on. I had to call in if I had an "event". These
are probably PVC's that are not the "dangerous" kind. I hope so.
I still have those when I lie down and they seem to be worse at
night. Get a good cardiologist. Maybe you already have one.
They are the best at dealing with this, especially if you are on
Sprycel.
Hope they disappear. (Believe me, they will as long as
you are wearing the monitor. Wierd that way)

Simone

#4 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 03:56 PM

Hi, Simone,

I had to laugh because I figured it wouldn't happen as soon as I put the monitor on, but no, I had an episode that lasted for about 10 minutes (off and on) around 2 p.m. so at least they will be able to see it! We do have good cardiologists so I will take the next couple of days to see which one I want to go to. It was interesting that they weren't nearly as scary now that I'm wearing a monitor and it's the middle of the day! I am, apparently, easily soothed.

Hope you are doing well and thanks for letting me know about your experience.

Pat

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#5 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 04:16 PM

Hi, Taylor,

Thanks for responding with your experience. My possasium and magnesium have always been right smack dab in the middle and my heart rate is not rapid. The highest it got during the episode on Saturday was 90 and that was after the adrenaline from my anxiety attack kicked in!  :) The episode this afternoon was very mild - I hardly noticed it! Why are things so much scarier after dark!

But, as I told Simone, it is recorded on the monitor now so I will hear something either before my appt. next Monday, if it's serious, or Monday. I turn in the monitor on Wed. morning. I hate waiting!

I'm glad you are doing so well with Sprycel. 28 is too young to have to worry about this stuff!

Pat

#6 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:46 PM

Pat,

I would not rely on the CMP test potassium/magnesium counts.  They can be skewed by the TKI bone remodeling thingy.  I am not sure that potassium is available for the heart -- may seem like an odd thing to say.  But I would suggest you take extra potassium and magnesium in supplement form.  And eat cheese. 

Edited by Trey, 06 April 2015 - 07:47 PM.

#7 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:22 PM

Did I happen to say, "Cheese. . ..mmmmm?"

#8 Tedsey

Tedsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:48 PM

I hope this thing gets sorted out quickly for you and may it be nothing serious. Keeping fingers crossed!

Teds

#9 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:17 PM

Hi Pat, Wazz Up Wid U Girl, You probably scared the crap out of the Easter Bunny! Boy you and Marnie sure are partners in crime. You both have to do everything at the same time. I saw an ad for one of our local hospitals and there was a picture of a doctor in the ad and he was so handsome, I don't know what he specializes in but I'm gonna find out and go see him because I'm sure I have it. Maybe he's a cardiologist and you and Marnie and I and whoever else want's to go with us, I'll make the appointments. I don't usually pay much attention to looks but damn he was pretty. :rolleyes:

I was just looking at Rons labs from the past few months,when he was in the hospital they were giving him liquid potassium but they stopped it when he was relased that was Dec.& Jan. Now they have been checking it every 2 weeks because his potassium was to high.

His last bw showed normal. They have had him on magnesium for over 2 months now he takes 400mg 2x a day. He also has afib.

Don't you just hate it when you have a panic attack and your hearts beating out of your chest so you know your gonna die and you take your pulse and it's only 80? Geeze it could at least go up to 85 so we can burn up a few calories while we're miserable.

You should go to the er if you have another attack, I know I would. That's bs all this waiting. Ron wore a monitor but the doc said if anything showed up while he was wearing it he would call us! Must be something new but it did give me peace of mind for 24 hours. You need a cardio guy asap!!!!                   Take Care Love Billie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users