#1 tazdad08

tazdad08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:30 PM

I have seen post where people say that there spouse/other half has left them because they couldnt handle the stress of the disease. But how many of us has drifted away from our other half because of what we are dealing with? I don't blame it on depression. I think it is more of too much pressure to provide, not knowing what my role is in life, or maybe just ever changing desires. Am I alone in this struggle? If its not too personal, share your thoughts about the root cause of your struggle. 

Diagnosed in September 2011. Tried one year of Sprycel. Had great response. Became undetectable in a few months. Changed to Tasigna hoping for less side effects. Self medicated myself down to 20% dose and held for 3 years before becoming detectable again. It has been a journey that has helped me realize what life is about! I am all about a balanced life. I firmly agree with my decision to lower my dose. What is life if you aren't living? Mine will never be the way it was, but it is going to be as good as I can make it! Drs PRACTICE medicine, we can guide our dr to help us with a better life! Don't settle until it's acceptable to you!

#2 JPD

JPD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:41 PM

Well, you hit on three big areas:  the pressure of dealing with it, speculating on your "role" in life, and changing desires.  The first one stands alone, I see the second two as being closely related.  The pressure is what it is - we are expected (for the most part) to just "get on with life" - as Ive said here before "take your pill, live your life".*  But its not that easy, of course.

The second two things are related because after getting such a diagnosis - it accelerates the self-examination of our own lives & makes us wonder "what have I done with my life" and/or "what do I do with my life now".  We've suddenly been shook out of our comfortable little American (Western) nothing goes wrong ever eggshell mindset.  We realize damn quick - HOLY SHIT, I AM NOT INDESTRUCTABLE (Memento Mori!)... so, I better get on with living MY life as I want to live it. 

Anyway, my struggle bounces from being cynical/defeatist/nihlist ("I dont give a shit, nothing matters") to being inspired ("live every day to the fullest - savor every moment".

*I stole this

January 15: .53%

April 15:       .78%

July 15:      1.1% - upped dosage to 400mg after this test

Oct 15:       .85%

December 15:  .28%

March 16: .29%

July 16: .34%

October 16: .11%

January 17: .081%

April 17: .055%

July 17: .135%

Oct 17: .008%

#3 chrissy778

chrissy778

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationTroy, New York

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:17 PM

I feel sorry for my husband because he tries very hard, and I am embarrassed to say sometimes I worry so much it keeps me from enjoying life. I am so busy with the what ifs and health anxiety that I sometimes forget how lucky I am to have this second chance on life. A year and a half ago I would have done anything to be where I am now and sometimes I take it for granted. I need to remind myself to live and be loving and kind and stop worrying about if I am going to die and being negative about things that are not important.

Its never to late to live happily ever after/ Do not squander time; for that's the stuff life is made of

#4 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:35 PM

Ron has been very supportive with me, sometimes I feel so guilty because maybe I'm not trying hard enough to do the things I used to do. I don't know if it's my age or cml or depression I just can't seem to function very well right now I feel like a motionless blob. When everybody says they have fatigue does that mean no energy but they can still function or they just can't move. I know I have to get outside, but we had another 3 inches of snow this morning I feel like my body went on strike! UGGH (thanks for letting me vent).

#5 chrissy778

chrissy778

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationTroy, New York

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:16 PM

Billie, I am a blob most of the time also lol This was a very long depressing winter. My husband started walking and I am such a loser he asks me to go and I will say no with out trying. This posts makes me realize I need to change. :unsure: 

Its never to late to live happily ever after/ Do not squander time; for that's the stuff life is made of

#6 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:39 PM

Billie, I am a blob most of the time also lol This was a very long depressing winter. My husband started walking and I am such a loser he asks me to go and I will say no with out trying. This posts makes me realize I need to change. :unsure:

chrissy, I'm so glad I'm not the only one (now we have two blobs) maybe we can support each other and cheer each other on. It.s a half mile around the block and as soon as it warms up I'm going to walk everyday, and you can yell at me if I don't do it. I can see it now I'll make it halfway around and have to give myself cpr. I used to walk a lot no matter what the weather was like, but now I get so cold I can't stand it. Does the cold affect you also? I wonders if tki's contribute to it. Gotta blame something :rolleyes:.

#7 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:41 PM

The CML changed my marriage in many ways.  I was always the 'doer'.  I started projects, I tore things apart, and I made the plans for doing things.  My husband helped me finish a project, put whatever back together, and go along with the plans I made.

Since I have been ill I don't have the energy to do projects so much anymore.  I don't bother tearing things apart because I don't want the mess or waiting to put them back together.  We rarely go out with other couples, we enjoyed them all but we have stepped away from participating in that without really acknowledging it.  We have turned into a couple that lives together but in many ways we live separate lives.  It sounds like it is a negative but it may be more a sadness.

We don't fight, we don't argue.  Today was our anniversary, we spent it traveling to Cleveland Clinic for CML oncologist because my local one is not comfortable seeing me anymore.  On the way home we were both worried about our dogs, they were alone at the house for over 7 hours.  They probably had their paws crossed.  We stopped at Quaker Steak and Lube and had an awesome wing buffet.  I think we told each other happy anniversary twice over the course of the day.  At this point in life, I will take comfortable.

#8 chrissy778

chrissy778

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationTroy, New York

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:58 PM

Billie, I am with you we can motivate each other and we will drag Pam along with us, lol. Pam many of the feelings you described I have felt or feel also. We should all try to break this cycle together. We need to be strong even though its not easy but with encouragement and ideas I think we can help each other. At least we are aware and that is a great start.

#9 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:27 AM

Happy Anniversary Pammie :)  :D  :lol:  :P  :rolleyes:  :wub: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have a way with words, You put it so eloquently our lives are different but we can live comfortably. Maybe we're to hard on ourselves, I too was the doer my husband never knew what I would be up to when he came home from work, and like you I don't want to start any projects and make a mess. I really do want to sell this house, Ron doesn't. Maybe he'll change his mind when summer comes and he realizes how much work is involved. He has been out of it for over two years so he's in for a rude awakening. I want to downsize and move into a condo next to a restaurant!

#10 chrissy778

chrissy778

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationTroy, New York

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:27 AM

Here is a start, you pick one for everyday of the month or you can pick as may as you want. :wub:

Attached Files

• Attached File  cml.jpg   110.68KB   1 downloads

#11 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:31 AM

Here is a start, you pick one for everyday of the month or you can pick as may as you want. :wub:

I love all of them, I'll let you know how I make out! Thanks chrissy

#12 Gail's

Gail's

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:50 AM

Happy anniversary Pam! I love the list of fun things to do, Chrissy. When I saw the one about reading a book together, I had to laugh. When our son was a teen, he and his dad ended up reading the same paperback. Since my son was farther into the book, they tore it apart so my husband could read while my son finished the book! Smart thinking! Billie, I've tried to hit on what is different about the fatigue of cancer and finally decided it's tiredness that doesn't go away with sleep. It's like my mind is still awake while my muscles are worn out. Try not to be hard on yourself but give yourself a big pat on the back while you work down Chrissy's list.
Diagnosed 1/15/15
FISH 92%
BMB 9:22 translocation
1/19/15 began 400 mg gleevec
1/22/15 bcr 37.2 IS
2/6/15 bcr 12.5 IS
3/26/15 bcr 10.3 IS
6/29/15 bcr 7.5 IS
9/24/15 bcr 0.8 IS
1/4/16 bcr 0.3 IS
Started 100 mg dasatinib, mutation analysis negative
4/20/16 bcr 0.03 IS
8/8/16 bcr 0.007 IS
12/6/16 bcr 0.002 IS
Lowered dasatinib to 70 mg
4/10/17 bcr 0.001 IS
Lowered dasatinib to 50 mg
7/5/17 bcr 0.004 IS
8/10/17 bcr 0.001. Stopped TKI in prep for September surgery.
9/10/17 bcr 0.006
10/10/17 bcr 0.088

#13 dede5

dede5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:58 PM

My situation is similar to all of these. When I was diagnosed, I just shut down. Most of my family lives in denial, and they insist that I do things I don't want to do, so they can continue to deny a problem. Sometimes it's a good thing and I enjoy myself, but mostly just annoying because I would rather stay in pj's and wrapped in a blanket. My husband is the most understanding and just goes along with whatever I do or don't want to do. He indulges me and supports me, when I give very little in return. I can't be what I once was, but I appreciate him more than he will ever know. He's my rock.

Dx: 01 March 2011

Sprycel 100 mg per day since dx 

MMR: July 2013

numerous side effects 

Thankful for the gift of each new day, and try to live it to the fullest  :D

#14 alexamay09

alexamay09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:55 AM

My husband has gone through my breast cancer diagnosis then my CML.  He behaves as if neither had ever happened!  I guess this is good?

alex

#15 Dona_B

Dona_B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:30 PM

TazDad08,

I was thinking about your question over the past couple days and realized it's ironic. The shoe is on the other foot now. The first half of my marriage I was very unhappy about how much time my husband spent helping his folks. Then they became invalids for years. They did not want to go into assisted living or a nursing home. It was very time consuming and I resented the unrealistic expectations put on him by both his parents and his siblings. The second half the shoe is on the other foot.  And the thing I hated the most could very well be the thing that's holding us together and I'm thankful to have stuck it out.

DX 1/14; Sprycel 100 Mg, liver toxicity; Sprycel 80 Mg; down to 50 Mg for 5 months. Numbers going up. Back to 80 Mg 10/16 (with 50s slipped in to use up) BCR/ABL: .0047 12/15; .0302 4/16;  .0528 8/16;  .084 10/16; .045, 1/17 back up on 80 mg Sprycel; .006, 3/17; .016, 7/17; Shingles 8/17

#16 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:18 PM

I was very touched. Steve lives and works away from home Monday through Thursday so he hasn't always been here, but he was always here when I needed him most. He told me he cried when they talked about Gleevec on "Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies". He gets more emotional about my CML then I do!

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#17 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:29 PM

Thank You Taz,

This post has got us all thinking, sometimes we are to hard on ourselves, the reality that we have cancer,and thankfully it's treatable.

but we still have to cope with the side-effects and it's pretty hard to tell our loved ones we feel like crap when we look healthier than them. I'm really screwing this up anyway that C word is always in our head and every crazy thing we feel makes us wonder if we have had a relapse or another kind of C. This is the third time I've played around with C and it's wearing me out. If we could only find the right words!

#18 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:36 PM

I was very touched. Steve lives and works away from home Monday through Thursday so he hasn't always been here, but he was always here when I needed him most. He told me he cried when they talked about Gleevec on "Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies". He gets more emotional about my CML then I do!

That's wonderful Pat to have that kind of support, we all know how terrific you are, and it's great to hear that Steve thinks so too. :)

#19 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:46 AM

That's wonderful Pat to have that kind of support, we all know how terrific you are, and it's great to hear that Steve thinks so too. :)

Thanks, Billie, I think we are all pretty terrific on here (and I know you do, too)! Everyone has something to offer and you keep everyone in stitches with your humor and "down home" wisdom. Not everyone can be brilliant about our disease like Trey is, but we all do what we can to lift everyone's burden because we understand.

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#20 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:10 AM

Very well said, Pat.  

Billie, if I don't start using the restroom before I read your posts I am going to have to buy protective under garments.  My bladder isn't as good as it used to be.  I am too old and too old to admit to peeing my pants.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users