8 replies to this topic

#1 dede5

dede5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:20 PM

Early this afternoon, I felt like I was going crazy, so decided to get out for awhile. Ended up riding the Cade's Cove loop in the Great Smoky Mtns. The sunshine, the wildlife, the magnificent view of the snowcap mountains improved my outlook and attitude immensely. I'm sharing this because I know others on here also suffer from depression, and this winter has been a tough one. I know some areas are still having snow, but if you can, get out and do something you don't do every day, see something you don't see every day. When the good feeling wears off, do it again  :D

Dx: 01 March 2011

Sprycel 100 mg per day since dx 

MMR: July 2013

numerous side effects 

Thankful for the gift of each new day, and try to live it to the fullest  :D

#2 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:41 AM

Whilst I couldn't agree more with the sentiments above, you've whipped me into a frenzy of curiosity.  What were you 'riding'?  A pushbike? A motorbike? A horse?  I checked your profile for clues, but other than a brief speculation on how one might ride a cake that didn't help.  Or is the Cade's Cove loop a rollercoaster perhaps? All these different pictures in my head!

#3 dede5

dede5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:24 AM

Actually, PhilB, the Cade's Cove loop is a 10 mile one-way loop around "Cades Cove, an isolated valley located in the Tennessee section of theGreat Smoky Mountains National Park, USA. The valley was home to numerous settlers before the formation of the national park. Today Cades Cove, the single most popular destination for visitors to the park, attracts more than two million visitors a year because of its well preserved homesteads, scenic mountain views, and abundant display of wildlife." Wikipedia 

I borrowed the quote because they explained it much better than I could. You may want to Google it. It's a wonderful place. I'm not suggesting that everyone visit Cade's Cove, just saying such an outing in your area might make you feel better.

There are places to ride horses there, and lots of people ride bicycles or motorbikes. I was in a minivan with my daughter and granddaughters. I got out a few times to take pictures, let the kids run in the meadow to stretch their legs, or explore the houses and churches, but it was very cold so thankful my mode of transportation was enclosed. The cake would be in the car with me  ;) 

numerous side effects 

#4 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:35 AM

I may be wrong, please don't tell my family if I am - I'll never live it down, but I think Cade's Cove loop is accessible by automobile. You Brits are so literal, PhilB, we often interchange "drive" with "ride" or "drove" with "rode"!

I was taken with the image of riding a cake, though. Horseback is not such a leap in that area of the country either. 

As I said though, I may be wrong...

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#5 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:18 PM

Hi dede,

That sounds wonderful, I've never heard of Cades Cove but I have driven through Kentucky and it is absolutely gorgeous I can see how an outing like that would lift your spirits. I saw the Smokey Mountains and you really do have blue grass. I love driving anywhere there are mountains we are flatlanders . That sounds like a great mini vacation for us it's only a 10 hour drive I'll have to keep that in mind maybe we'll stop in for coffee. :)         Billie

#6 dede5

dede5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:54 PM

Billie, if you're ever in the area, absolutely!!

numerous side effects 

#7 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:55 AM

Well you learn something new everyday!  I had never come across that US usage before (thanks Pat).  Yet another one to add to the list of mutual incomprehensions.  I'm usually not too bad at understanding the US lingo and at least I no longer get the wrong image in my head when someone is described as wearing 'vest and pants'  (hint, never ask anyone English to turn up dressed in this)

#8 dede5

dede5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:31 AM

PhilB, it gets even more complicated when you're dealing with East TN dialect. It's not southern, as some might think. It stands completely on its own. Some of it would be difficult for Americans to understand, and mine is mild compared to some. I'll definitely keep your advice in mind  ^_^

numerous side effects 

#9 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:39 PM

Phil&dede, It amazes me that there are so many dialects in the us. I never traveled much when I was young just a couple trips to altoona and Florida but as I got older I got around more,Pittsburg is just 2 hours south of me and I can tell right away if someone is from there, I just love the southern drawl, I don't understand it but I like it. And North Dakota ya! When I travel I'm afraid to say very much because I might say something offensive according to them.

Phil thanks for the tip, vest and pants who says that I just say casual. I watch nat geo wild a lot and they said that cows all over the world moo differently because of the different accents. Wouldn't it be cool to get some cows from all over and have them harmonize in different accents.i.e. Alto moo, baritone moo, soprano moo.

Trey could probably arrange something like that!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users