8 replies to this topic

#1 Kittywatkins

Kittywatkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 11:53 AM

So I finally had the courage to switch Oncs. I'm leaving Sloan Kettering in ny was going to try dr jurcic but because I live in New Jersey I looked up Rutgers cancer institute. I have an appointment April 17. My question is. Anyone here at Rutgers institute?

#2 Kittywatkins

Kittywatkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:08 AM

Thanks Mary!

#3 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:50 PM

Good for you Kitty, It never hurts to get another opinion or three. After my pe a couple years ago my onc sent me to another onc in Pittsburg for his opinion, and when we go to Fla it's for about 3 months so I have an onc down there just in case I have a problem, I've had the same dx and treatment plan from all of them, it makes me feel more secure knowing I'm covered wherever I go!

Billie

#4 Lisa Lisa

Lisa Lisa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:08 PM

Kitty, did you tell them at Sloan that you are leaving? I had been seeing a hematologist/Onc for 5 years due to anemia. Basically infusions and blood tests. He diagnosed me with Cml. He picked up a non urgent call while halfway through my shock and biggest question. He didnt even apologize. Then read his emails on his phone while I was crying like a baby (my sister was sitting next to him in disbelief.) A week later I confronted the nurse (who I always adored) and she said he is a busy man. Sometimes seeing 20 patients/working in the hospital, sooooo busy all day. She couldnt promise it wouldnt happen again.
It never felt right to see him after that. Im not looking for a hand holder but I have to feel like you are doing your job 100%. He should have tested me earlier now, I am sure. And I could not stay and doubt my dr. would be giving that 100%.
Congrats on moving on. Just wondering how it went and if you told them your reasons. I did and it was no biggie to them. And did the record request go smoothly?

Dx 2/2015 BCR-ABL1 (p210) 85.2% (IS) 3/15

22%  5/15     0.13% 6/15   PCRU attained 9/15

Initial dose Sprycel 100 mg 3/15  Lowered 80 mg 5/15   Lowered 50 mg 1/16

Note: dose lowered bc of side effects - not bc onc wanted to reduce dosage

Sprycel: Currently 50 mg per day - taken 10 pm

#5 Kittywatkins

Kittywatkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:44 PM

Thanks Billie. Lisa Lisa to answer your question. I had a very one sided conversation with the Oncs nurse on Friday so I called Monday and told the secretary who talks to you like a robot and told her to take me out of Aprils appt cause Im Transferring out and her response was...ok so do you want to reschedule? I chuckled and said no thanks because I'm not coming back. She asked me for the name of the other Onc and I told her no not yet and that was the end of the conversation. I never got a call back. In fact I had to call a week later for my pcr results and the nurse very happy go lucky told me my results and said dr B talked to my new doctor and gave him my story. I was so upset because I had to write a letter with my signature to release my records thru medical records department to fax to my new doc. So she must get an alert but I never got a call from the doctor nor the nurse. It was like I got wiped from the earth and no longer exist. I know that if this new dr does not work out I wouldn't go back to Sloan. It just was not my cup of tea. She is a nice doctor and I'm sure she's very good at what she does but they are not as organized and the staff is very disconnected to the patients. We will see what happens cause I'm so nervous.

#6 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:01 AM

The receptionist at my original doctors was always very chatty, but when I decided to change docs, she was almost straight out rude. I am very happy with my current doc, so glad I changed.

#7 winespritzer

winespritzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:54 PM

Dear Kitty,

I saw  an onc, Dr. Hamilton at Sloan Kettering in Basking Ridge who basically agreed with the onc I have at Steeple Chase. So I stayed at Steeple Chase which is closer to where I live.  Dr. Hamilton seemed excellent . Sloan was larger/more formal than Steeple Chase and I knew I needed to be known by the staff.

Sorry you had problems with Sloan. Good luck. I know it's really hard to switch doctors.

Billie,

Great idea to have an onc in Florida. I did go to UrgentCare for irreg heart beats in South Carolina this winter and was just lucky to find a fabulous doctor who listened to me.   I am going to research an onc.

Winespritzer

CML History....

DX-1/14....wbc....55....100mg Sprycel-1 wk after DX....periorbital edema, fatigue,

.385-4/14

.365-7/14

.13-10/14

.11-1/15

.045-4/15

.07-7/15

.06-10/15

.04-1/16

0.00- 4/16-10/17

70mg Sprycel...11/4/17....40 mg prednisone (7 days)....thoracentisis...10/26/17

tremendous reduction w periorbital edema and fatigue

#8 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:40 PM

Hi winespritzer,

The cancer center gave me my records and I had an appt. with the onc in Fla before we left home. I had to go see him once, he wouldn't take me on as a patient until  I saw him. His nurse made copies of my records for me, she said most places won't make copies, So I take those records with me when I go to Fla. I guess I better get them updated they're from 2008. We go to Sanibel Island and there is a lab on the Island so I can get my monthly bw there. And the doc who takes my blood is also a gp so if I get a cold or something down there he can treat me. My husbands family doesn't even acknowledge my illness, they don't do doctors, so now I have peace of mind knowing where to go for help. 

It's a good idea to keep your records, that way if you had a problem while you were out of town, It sure would make it easier on you and the doctors treating you. If you,re gone a few months at a time it's a great idea to have an onc 

#9 winespritzer

winespritzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:29 AM

Dear Billie,

Thanks much for your response. I do take my records with me now.  And that's a great idea to have an apt before I start to travel. I also know I need an on site lab in case I need lab work. That was one of my concerns at Hilton Head.  None of the UrgentCares there do the blood work. Has to go to Emergency.  And I am used to immediate results!

My onc in NJ doesn't take monthly bw - said I don't need it but I have so many other doctors I always sort of know what my cbc is.

Sounds like you've had CML since 2008.  Hope you are faring well. I was diag on 1/14/14.  My family on both sides is into doctors...maybe we're all hypochondriacs!

Do you get your meds in Sanibel?  I loved Sanibel when we went there long ago.  I still have a huge collection of shells.

Be well and thank you.

Winespritzer

CML History....

DX-1/14....wbc....55....100mg Sprycel-1 wk after DX....periorbital edema, fatigue,

.385-4/14

.365-7/14

.13-10/14

.11-1/15

.045-4/15

.07-7/15

.06-10/15

.04-1/16

0.00- 4/16-10/17

70mg Sprycel...11/4/17....40 mg prednisone (7 days)....thoracentisis...10/26/17

tremendous reduction w periorbital edema and fatigue

1 user(s) are reading this topic