Photo

bcr-abl up slightly! should I be worried?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Frogiegirl

Frogiegirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:40 AM

Well got my results today. ....wmt from .00072 to .00083.....I'm a wreck:( any input?

Diagnosed Oct 2013 Started 600mg of Tasigna  on Nov 4th. Lowered dose a few months later to 300mg due to side affects stayed here declining PCR until March 2015 small jump from 0.0072 to 0.0083 scarred my doc into full dose of Tasigna again 600mg(been miserable since) but reached PCRU 06/15/2015(next test) and have been there ever since. Hoping to have another little one. I have the support of my doc to go off anytime, just scared to jump. might go two years PCRU but he said it wont make much of a difference. I just figured I could possibly go into a trial while preggers if I got the two years behind me.

Nov 8th 2017 went off Tasigna

Dec 1st PCRU off TKI

Jan 5th PCR Detected .0625

Feb 1st PCR Detected .7815

Added 8-6 grams Curcumin daily in Feb

March 3rd PCR Detected 3.2646 YIKES!

stopped trying for baby after February reading. will start new TKI march 16th 2017 (Sprycel)

FYI I'm not done trying for my last little one.

#2 klf2013

klf2013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:56 AM

I think Trey would tell you to relax. Labs have a margin of error.  But I do understand your concern. Mine went up too this last go around and my onc wants to do another BMB! Not looking forward to it!  I went from .08 in Aug 2014 to .108 in December 2014 and my last one in March was .300.  That means my onc no longer considers me at MMR.  Crap!  I am focusing on the Mayo clinic's statement that if your # is between .05-.5 you are still considered at MMR....Did I read that right Trey?   Trey?  Bueller... Bueller!

#3 Frogiegirl

Frogiegirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:06 AM

Could it be another platue? Started tasigna Nov 4 2013? Reduced dose as well? 450mg

Diagnosed Oct 2013 Started 600mg of Tasigna  on Nov 4th. Lowered dose a few months later to 300mg due to side affects stayed here declining PCR until March 2015 small jump from 0.0072 to 0.0083 scarred my doc into full dose of Tasigna again 600mg(been miserable since) but reached PCRU 06/15/2015(next test) and have been there ever since. Hoping to have another little one. I have the support of my doc to go off anytime, just scared to jump. might go two years PCRU but he said it wont make much of a difference. I just figured I could possibly go into a trial while preggers if I got the two years behind me.

Dec 1st PCRU off TKI

stopped trying for baby after February reading. will start new TKI march 16th 2017 (Sprycel)

#4 Jerry.s

Jerry.s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:22 AM

Did they out you on a Ppi resently ? I freaked out becuase I was put on them as well recently

#5 Frogiegirl

Frogiegirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:34 AM

They tried to put me on prilosec but I refused to take them.if I was who u were asking. I did start drinking kieffer? I'm soooo upset right now. Scared of my own actions right now. ...

Dec 1st PCRU off TKI

#6 Lucas

Lucas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 01:24 PM

Hey frogiegirl, that's the same resultado. On this los level of CML such variations mean nothing. Don't worry.

#7 lplaskin

lplaskin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:20 PM

Hi frogiegirl,  I know these things are a source of anxiety.  How do you feel?  Any noticeable problems with this 'new' level?  What does your doctor?  Although you are only up .00011, perhaps there is another explanation (organic vs inorganic).  When is your next test?  Focus on other things, especially if you are feeling okay.  I really don't think this is cause for you to worry.  I have other CML/Sprycel concerns that outweigh my BCR results, at least for right now (actually for the last 6-8 months).  Hang in there!  ;)

keep us up-to-date, please.

#8 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:13 PM

Most patients would love to have your problem.  Which is no problem.  Except thinking it is a problem is a problem. 

#9 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:59 PM

Most patients would love to have your problem.  Which is no problem.  Except thinking it is a problem is a problem. 

God it annoys me when I have to agree with Mr. Trey ...

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#10 Frogiegirl

Frogiegirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:07 PM

I guess I'm so use to constantly declining this is hitting me hard! Scoobs and sir Trey you make me feel like the spoiled child of cml??? Is this really no cause for concern? I was hoping for zeros so I could start a countdown to having my last child.....now I just feel greedy even thinking I could have one more:(

Dec 1st PCRU off TKI

#11 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:07 PM

Well got my results today. ....wmt from .00072 to .00083.....I'm a wreck:( any input?

See my comment to Mr. Trey.

And.

Think of it this way.  Here is your result last time:

0.00 ...

Here is your result this time:

0.00 ...

I think that is fantastic.

Now.....

Here is your result from last time to the next decimal place which is MEANINGLESS.

And here is your last result this time to the next decimal place:

Get the picture?

You are for all practical purposes "undetected" PCRU. The lab equipment has so much error when at this level. They should not even report the numbers beyond the second decimal place. You will never die from CML - EVER. You will die from something else.

Your goal now should be to get off the drug. That's the goal. Get your nutrition up (as you're doing) - focus on general health. And some day, CML will fade away. Personally - if you stopped taking your TKI right now  - you probably would still have a PCR value in this area at next test (it's a secret the pharma people don't want out - but that's just my opinion).

You're doing great. Go love your husband. You're going to be around for awhile.

Scubes (don't start on me Trey)

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

#12 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:09 PM

I guess I'm so use to constantly declining this is hitting me hard! Scoobs and sir Trey you make me feel like the spoiled child of cml??? Is this really no cause for concern? I was hoping for zeros so I could start a countdown to having my last child.....now I just feel greedy even thinking I could have one more:(

YOU WANT another child? That's a 20 year sentence. Don't do it.

(o.k. - do it, but don't name him Trey (if a boy) or Treyanne (if a girl).

Name him Michael!

#13 Frogiegirl

Frogiegirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:15 PM

Scoobs:) thank you for taking the time to explain that way of thinking to me....I seriously needed that! I'm soooo scared and such a control freak I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around these results. I do everything they say. It pissed me off when people say "oh you have the good kind of cancer" ......no this roller coaster sux. its emotionally and physically long term exhausting....

Dec 1st PCRU off TKI

#14 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:21 PM

Scoobs:) thank you for taking the time to explain that way of thinking to me....I seriously needed that! I'm soooo scared and such a control freak I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around these results. I do everything they say. It pissed me off when people say "oh you have the good kind of cancer" ......no this roller coaster sux. its emotionally and physically long term exhausting....

You don't have cancer. If you had cancer you would have no hair and be stuck in a chair with a tube running in your arm. Your beautiful picture shows you have hair. So you don't have cancer.

What you have is a chronic condition more akin to diabetes. It's manageable if you take the drug. Look at me - I don't even take the drug anymore, but I still consider myself as having a "chronic condition". That's what you and I have. It's not cancer. Cancer kills you.

CML will not kill you.

So ... what's for dinner?

#15 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:33 PM

I don't know why, but this somehow reminds me of a post on this forum from several years ago, before the website re-do wiped out the old posts.  The title was "Need Help -- I Want to Have A Baby".  Somehow, PhilB and I were able to restrain ourselves and not respond.  It was so difficult to restrain ourselves.  So very, very difficult.........

#16 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:40 PM

Trey I think I remember that post too, we were all very proud of you guys!Could it have been someone who corresponds with Pin a lot.   I almost blurted out are you crazy? I raised 2 beautiful babies and I'm very proud of them but all that comes to my mind is their first words are no,the first day of kindergarten they come home smarter then we are. puberty , breaking curfew, working my arse off to send my daughter to penn state where she majored in sorority and parties. I am proud to say that my daughter went back to school and paid her own tuition and she now has a degree in economics and a very good job. My son was a very hardworker too until his accident if they could just stay babies a while longer. Oh to be young again (we get too soon dumb and to late smart)!!!

#17 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:52 PM

Frogiegirl, Listen to the group, I don't understand all these numbers but these guys know what their talking about. I'm the type of person where ignorance is bliss! Oh crap I probably just set myself up for something.

#18 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:16 AM

I caught it, Billie! Everyone, say it with me, "Billie, you must be the happiest woman in the world!"   :D

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#19 Frogiegirl

Frogiegirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:56 AM

In my haste I reported my numbers wrong :o  There are only two zeros after the decimal point.....so Decembers result was .0072 and march result was .0083 :angry: Does that make a difference? this international scale is confusing....well at least for me! Does that mean I am Just MMR? ....which I am not complaining about just curious. the doctor still has not called me to review results, or if he will change my treatment plan. I am thinking this might warrant another BMB or an increase in Tasigna? Currently at 450mg daily. Any input now that I got the number of zeros after the decimal corrected tehehehehehe.....

Dec 1st PCRU off TKI

#20 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:50 AM

In my haste I reported my numbers wrong :o  There are only two zeros after the decimal point.....so Decembers result was .0072 and march result was .0083 :angry: Does that make a difference? this international scale is confusing....well at least for me! Does that mean I am Just MMR? ....which I am not complaining about just curious. the doctor still has not called me to review results, or if he will change my treatment plan. I am thinking this might warrant another BMB or an increase in Tasigna? Currently at 450mg daily. Any input now that I got the number of zeros after the decimal corrected tehehehehehe.....

Jessica - The error range of PCR testing can be as high as one log or one order of magnitude. Using the same blood sample, you could have had values ranging much higher or lower than the difference between your test.

YOU ARE FINE. This is noise in the testing. PCR is a molecular test and use it because they can't see any CML cells anymore. Under a microscope, all of your blood cells would look normal. They would not be able to see a single CML Cell. So they go to a much finer detail to see a hint of CML still lurking - that is what PCR reveals.

MMR = or less than  0.1% You are an order of magnitude below that. 
No need to increase your dose. Your Dr. will not change your plan unless you want to change drugs for side effect reasons. Personally - you could LOWER your dose and likely still be fine. You could change to Sprycel and likely push these numbers to below detection more easily - but then you would have to experience new side effects (or none at all - everyone is different).

Let's see what your next test shows - in the mean time get your D level up and take K2.

Michael

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users