#1 chrissy778

chrissy778

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationTroy, New York

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:29 PM

Hello, my hematologist/oncologist office does not have one so I saw a nutritionist at a medical center in my area. I felt it was a complete waste of time as she told me things I know were wrong and also basic stuff they teach you in kindergarten. She told me to stay away from Orange juice and Vit C because it effects my Gleevec from working and told me to eat grapefruit. Seriously... Has anyone else seen someone they found as reputable and could you please share anything that stood out that we could be eating that would help boost are immune system, help fight leukemia or help the Gleevec work better. Thank you

Its never to late to live happily ever after/ Do not squander time; for that's the stuff life is made of

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:06 PM

Eat well, take a multi and extra C, and ride your horse. 

#3 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:32 PM

Cleveland Clinic scheduled me with nutritionist a few years ago and I also had one last summer at Presby in Pittsburgh. Both started with information you received and moved on to basic healthy eating habits I know about but do not often practice.

I figure as long as I don't go overboard and limit my alcohol consumption, I am going to eat what I want. I always thank them and focus on the truth I do not smoke.

I often receive praise for being a non smoker and the diet is forgotten about.

I am a self proclaimed food-aholic. My cholesterol is good and besides the PH my arteries are open. My hardest time is baking, I make all my guys lunch stuff from scratch. I have never, ever, meet a cookie dough or cake batter I didn't love.

#4 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:34 PM

chrissy,

There are so many meds out there that stress Do not eat grapefruit with this medication I can't believe a nutritionist told you to eat it. I was told to just take a multi-vitamin. I was told not to take vit c because of one of the meds I am on but I can't remember which one. Oh

hell I'll be standing in front of my refrigerator with the door open and I can't remember if I just put something away or I was getting something out.

#5 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:39 PM

Wine, Billie, you were looking for the wine

#6 chrissy778

chrissy778

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationTroy, New York

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:05 AM

:) Lol Thank you, everyone. I absolutely love this group....I do not eat healthy, I have never paid attention to nutrition but I want to learn. I am just happy I am eating and not losing weight. Thank you Trey, soon I will be riding it will be 40 degrees here today B)

Its never to late to live happily ever after/ Do not squander time; for that's the stuff life is made of

#7 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:11 AM

Hi chrissy, is your birthday march 11, mine too. We're Pices we have to stick together

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!

#8 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:09 AM

Billie....the temperature and her birthday are not always the same.  If it were our ages would constantly change, going backward and forward with the thermometer.  And people in Erie would be a negative age on some days, meaning you would not be born when the thermometer falls below zero. 

#9 Gail's

Gail's

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:33 PM

Billie., don't you think that old should actually be a 4 letter word? Definitely not gold.
Diagnosed 1/15/15
FISH 92%
BMB 9:22 translocation
1/19/15 began 400 mg gleevec
1/22/15 bcr 37.2 IS
2/6/15 bcr 12.5 IS
3/26/15 bcr 10.3 IS
6/29/15 bcr 7.5 IS
9/24/15 bcr 0.8 IS
1/4/16 bcr 0.3 IS
Started 100 mg dasatinib, mutation analysis negative
4/20/16 bcr 0.03 IS
8/8/16 bcr 0.007 IS
12/6/16 bcr 0.002 IS
Lowered dasatinib to 70 mg
4/10/17 bcr 0.001 IS
Lowered dasatinib to 50 mg
7/5/17 bcr 0.004 IS
8/10/17 bcr 0.001. Stopped TKI in prep for September surgery.
9/10/17 bcr 0.006
10/10/17 bcr 0.088

#10 Lucas

Lucas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:13 PM

hey chrissy, i'm seeing a nutritionist since my dx. i lost a lot of weight and now i'm ok. he has a phd in oncology and the diet he passed to me is not too restricted. good luck!

#11 chrissy778

chrissy778

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationTroy, New York

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:49 PM

:) Thank you Lucas, I can lose weight easily. When I let my anxiety get the best of me I can lose a few pounds in one day, it stinks. I am the same weight I was at diagnosis right now so that is good. For a time I kept checking it so I finally put the scale in the garage because I was becoming obsessed with it. Billie Happy b Lated Birthday,  I hope it was a good one :D..... Mine is actually in April on the 9th I am a Aries ;) They are impulsive but easy to get along with, I think I will stick with you any how...even though I am not a Pices

#12 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:58 PM

Thanks everyone,

Chrissy I thought you said you were going to be 40 in a couple days that was Monday, I guess you ment it was going to be 40 in a couple days oh well Happy Bday early we'll all stick together  I'm like an Aries but I'm impatient!

Trey do you mean I'm like -27 years old now hell by the time I'm born they'll have a cure for everything!

I'm still rappin in my head

even when I hit de bed.

I hope everybody read your rap song, dat wuz so cool!

#13 jmoorhou

jmoorhou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationOutside of San Francisco

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:06 AM

I think what you want to see is a Naturopath, they can do tests and infusions, and B12 shots for energy.  B12 is the vitamen that builds red blood cells.

And you have to find a good one which is not easy, ask for referrals from friends.. :)

Diagnosed 3/2014 WBC 28 Non detectable within 3 monthsGleevec 400 mg 5/2014 one hour after dinner really improves nausea300 mg 12/15/2016200 mg and 300 mg Gleevec 2/25/2017 (after 3 years on Gleevec) For last four months taking 300 mg per day. Last CMC showed liver enzymes elevated, went to a good Naturopath and he recommended 4 Tumeric, 10,000 mg Vitamen D, and 3 milk thistle (silymarin) daily. Also use One<p>Day Detox Dandeloin tea, and Nettle Tea and a slice of ginger every day...in two months liver tests were below normal.Janis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users