4 replies to this topic

#1 SouthFloridaGirl

SouthFloridaGirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:19 PM

Hi, all,

I was diagnosed with CML in November 2014. At that time, an MRI that I had done showed lytic lesions on my spine (and a few others scattered in other parts of my body). My oncologist was concerned with this and eventually sent me to MD Anderson in Houston. Since that MRI was done, I started on Tasigna and am doing very well (blood counts almost normal; bmb at 1% blast). My doctor at MD Anderson decided to wait to have me do another MRI (after I have been on the Tasigna for 3 months). He said that what "generally" happens is that the lesions shrink/disappear b/c of taking the Tasigna. (If they don't, he mentioned chemo, which scares the you-know-what out of me). Has anybody else had lesions (painless) show in the spinal area? If so, did they, indeed shrink/disappear after taking a TKI? Any help would be appreciated. (I'm freaked out by this!) Thanks.

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:01 PM

Such lesions are fairly rare in CML, so there is not much history regarding how they respond to TKI therapy.  One reason is that Oncs are so quick to use chemotherapy to try to resolve the lesions, so we don't get much data as a result.  Since the lesions are made up of leukemic cells (usually blasts) it is certainly possible that the TKI alone can deal with them.  It is interesting that MDA is taking a watch and wait approach. 

Which Phase did the Oncs classify you as being in?  Did you have high blast count at diagnosis?

#3 SouthFloridaGirl

SouthFloridaGirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:40 PM

Such lesions are fairly rare in CML, so there is not much history regarding how they respond to TKI therapy.  One reason is that Oncs are so quick to use chemotherapy to try to resolve the lesions, so we don't get much data as a result.  Since the lesions are made up of leukemic cells (usually blasts) it is certainly possible that the TKI alone can deal with them.  It is interesting that MDA is taking a watch and wait approach. 

Which Phase did the Oncs classify you as being in?  Did you have high blast count at diagnosis?

I was originally diagnosed in the chronic stage. The MRI was done as a separate issue. (I don't know what my blast count was at diagnosis.) The Onc at MD Anderson did not have the spinal MRI CD when I went to see him, so I had to send it to him afterwards. By the time he received it, his nurse told me that the radiologist wouldn't read it b/c it was 45 days old. So, the MD Anderson Onc told me that after I'm on the Tasigna for 3 months, he wants to get another spinal MRI (and, again, that generally the lesions either shrink or disappear after a patient is on the chemo drug for that long (or longer).

#4 Kittywatkins

Kittywatkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:02 PM

Why did you get an MRI? What were your symptoms?

#5 SouthFloridaGirl

SouthFloridaGirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:49 AM

Why did you get an MRI? What were your symptoms?

I was experiencing shortness of breath (diagnosis: anxiety) when I was first diagnosed with CML. At the hospital, the doctor ordered an MRI, and that's when he noticed the lesions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users