• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lanarae

lanarae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:19 PM

I am seriously considering applying for social security disability. A few questions as I am trying to wrap my mind around this decision...how does applying for disabilty affect a person's medical care/coverage? Do I understand properly that once approved you are automatically eligible for medicare? What if I want to keep my regular insuance that is provided through my husband's job? Can I reject the medicare coverage? If I use medicare as secondary coverage do they have a negative effect on the care I may otherwise enjoy now under my private insurance? Does medicare even cover Gleevec or other TKIs or transplants?

Bottom line, would I be giving up control of my medical decisions/care if I go on disability?

Thanks... You all are always so great!!

#2 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:33 PM

I was awarded disability last fall. Not SSI but SSD. You have to wait 24 months before you are eligible when receiving SSD.I am paying for my health coverage out of pocket, to receive lower deductibles and coverage my monthly premium is higher than my SSD amount. Be sure you investigate credible information to make an informed decision. Good luck.

#3 rcase13

rcase13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:03 PM

I researched all this when I first got diagnosed. What I read said as long as the TKI is working we are not eligible for SSD.

10/01/2014 100% Diagnosis (WBC 278k, Blasts 6%, Spleen extended 20cm)

01/02/2015 0.06% Tasigna 600mg
04/08/2015 0.01% Tasigna 600mg
07/01/2015 0.01% Tasigna 600mg
10/05/2015 0.02% Tasigna 600mg
01/04/2016 0.01% Tasigna 600mg
04/04/2016 PCRU Tasigna 600mg
07/18/2016 PCRU Tasigna 600mg
10/12/2016 PCRU Tasigna 600mg
01/09/2017 PCRU Tasigna 600mg
04/12/2017 PCRU Tasigna 600mg
10/16/2017 PCRU Tasigna 600mg
01/15/2018 PCRU Tasigna 600mg

Cancer Sucks!

#4 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:22 PM

I have been told that Medicare will not be a secondary insurance. The thought behind that is, if you have insurance coverage already, you don't need Medicare.

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#5 tadly

tadly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationMonterey Bay California

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:40 PM

I've been on SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance) because of AML. I've also been on my wife's medical insurance from her work. Nothing changed with insurance coverage when I was approved and received SSDI payments.

The rule is that 24 months after the date of disability a person automatically becomes eligible for Medicare. I happened to turn 65 which itself made me Medicare eligible before then. My wife is still working. The employer's insurance said I could opt out of Medicare medical services, Part B, but it required me, since I became Medicare eligible, to take Medicare hospitalization insurance (Part A) and that it will be primary. All prescriptions are through the employer's plan. Private insurers Save a lot by requiring people to sign-up for Medicare when eligible.

I wonder but don't expect to lose control over medical decisions, especially when it's related to expensive treatments since we'll be able to afford the costs of the employer insurance, which will cover costs beyond Medicare (and we'll continue it through retirement.)

I saw Medicare documents showing that it does does cover stem cell transplants for specific blood cancer conditions.

#6 Jenny-Girl

Jenny-Girl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:24 PM

I have been on social security disability for a number of years.  You become eligible for medicare after a waiting period of 24 months.  I am covered on my husband's policy through his employer as well.  Medicare A doesn't cost you anything.  I forgot I even had Medicare A.  I received a bill for my co-payment for an in patient stay after surgery of $500.  I forgot to tell the hospital I also had medicare A in addition to my husbands plan.  Medicare A basically only pays for inpatient services (not dr. appts or medication or labs or anything).  So once I informed the hospital that I had Med A, they billed medicare for the deductible.  Medicare told them my private insurance paid enough for my stay, so I ended up not having to pay my co-payment.  Its a nice thing to have.  I do not have Medicare B or D at this time.  Should my husband lose his job or coverage, I would apply for it.

Hope this helps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users