22 replies to this topic

#21 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:35 PM

No. . just type in the url, except use .com instead of ,com. 

Basically the guy who writes the blog says that the steps to early retirement are to NOT SPEND YOUR MONEY ON STUPID STUFF.

#22 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:45 PM

OH

#23 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:57 AM

Pretty good high level summary Marnie !  Digging a bit deeper, it's all about the ancient greek philosophy of stoicism and building yourself an efficient lifestyle to maximise personal happiness.  The way I look at it, there are more fun things to do than anyone can fit into one lifetime.  Some cost more than others, but the expensive ones aren't necessarily more fun than the cheap ones.  Filling your life with cheaper fun means you need less income to be happy and can therefore both save more and need less, which leads to much earlier financial independence.  The classic example of 'Mustachianism' is that a non-mustachian drives a gas guzzling SUV to the office then on to an expensive gym afterwards to ride an exercise bike.  The Mustachian just commutes by bike.

The guy who writes the blog takes it all a bit too far for my personal tastes, but embracing some of his ideas has made a big difference to my personal happiness and completely changed my view on how financially secure I already am so I wish I'd found him years ago.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users