#1 chrissy778

chrissy778

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationTroy, New York

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:22 AM

If you have your prescription ordered from CVS Caremark they will deliver it to a CVS pharmacy near you. This way you do not have to stay home waiting to sign from a UPS delivery driver or have it sitting in the weather if you are not home. I learned this recently and thought it might help to share with others. Last winter when waiting to have my prescription delivered it never came. The next day I called the pharmacy and they told me their records showed the UPS delivery driver had left it in the mailbox. With out me knowing it had stayed outside in below freezing temperatures over 24 hours. I do believe that the medicine was compromised because my doctor was questioning my numbers while taking that particular bottle of medicine saying they were all over the board. I had called the pharmacy to ask if the cold could have affected the performance of the medicine but they would not tell me and said my doctor would need to call to speak with them directly. ??? I know. One of the nurses from my doctors office called them and she was told the medicine was fine. After telling this story recently to a CVS rep on why I need a definite signature release he advised me that they have this option and it does make it so much easier and less stressful.

Its never to late to live happily ever after/ Do not squander time; for that's the stuff life is made of

#2 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:28 AM

Thanks, Chrissy. . .that's great to know.  I'll have to check into that.  It would really be helpful if we are on the road, traveling long term.  I would think it would be fairly easy to find a CVS pharmacy along a travel route and have them deliver it there ahead of time. 

Marnie

#3 chrissy778

chrissy778

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationTroy, New York

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:30 AM

Marnie, good thinking, that is a great idea..

Its never to late to live happily ever after/ Do not squander time; for that's the stuff life is made of

#4 Buzzm1

Buzzm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:42 AM

Kaiser will not mail Gleevec, or any costly drugs; nor will they allow 90 day supplies;

it's a drag to have to go there every month to pick up the Rx

For the benefit of yourself and others please add your CML history into your Signature

02/2010 Gleevec 400mg

2011 Two weakly positives, PCRU, weakly positive

2012 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, PCRU

2013 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, weakly positive

2014 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, PCRU (12/07 began dose reduction w/each continuing PCRU)

2015 300, 250, 200, 150

2016 100, 50/100, 100, 10/17 TFR

2017 01/17 TFR, 04/18 TFR, 07/18 TFR 0.0012, 08/29 TFR 0.001, 10/17 TFR 0.000

2018 01/16 TFR 0.0004 ... next quarterly PCR 04/17

At the earliest opportunity, and whenever possible, lower your TKI dosage; TKIs are toxic drugs and the less we take longterm the better off we are going to be ... this is especially true for older adults.  

In hindsight I should have started my dosage reduction two years earlier; it might have helped minimize some of the longterm cumulative toxic effects of TKIs that I am beset with.  

longterm side-effects Peripheral Artery Disease - legs (it's a bitch); continuing shoulder problems, right elbow inflammation.   GFR and creatinine vastly improved after stopping Gleevec.

Cumulative Gleevec dosage estimated at 830 grams

Taking Gleevec 400mg an hour after my largest meal of the day helped eliminate the nausea that Gleevec is notorious for.  

Trey's CML BlogStopping - The OddsStop Studies - Discussion Forum Cessation Study

Big PhRMA - Medicare Status - Social Security Status - Deficit/Debt

#5 CallMeLucky

CallMeLucky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:04 PM

I switched to this option a year or so ago. I find it easier to deal with. Not as convenient as having it dropped at house but I don't have to deal with all the other issues. I pass the cvs on way home from work and I usually need something else from there anyway so it winds up not being a big deal.
Date  -  Lab  -  Scale  -  Drug  -  Dosage MG  - PCR
2010/Jul -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 1.2%
2010/Oct -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.25%
2010/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.367%
2011/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.0081%
2011/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2011/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.00084%
2011/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Mar -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0.004%
2012/Jun -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Sep -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Gleevec  - 400 - 0%
2012/Dec -  MSKCC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2013/Jan -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  50-60-70  - 0%
2013/Mar -  Quest  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  60-70  - 0%
2013/Apr -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.036%
2013/May -  CUMC  -  Non-IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.046%
2013/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 50 - 0.0239%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0192%
2013/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0034%
2013/Oct -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0054%
2014/Jan -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 70 - 0.0093%
2014/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.013%
2014/Apr -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0048%
2014/Jul -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2014/Nov -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.047%
2014/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2015/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0.0228%
2016/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2016/Dec -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Mar -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Jun -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Sep -  Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  - 100 - 0%
2017/Dec - Genoptix  -  IS  -  Sprycel  -  100 - 0%

#6 Antilogical

Antilogical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:35 PM

Chrissy:  I tried to switch to CVS pickup last month.  My drug plan requires me to use the Aetna Specialty Pharmacy for my Gleevec refills. They fill the monthly Rx at the CVS Caremark distribution center near my home, then it is delivered to me by UPS (signature required).  Due to serious delivery issues the past 2 months, I asked if I could pick up my Rx at the CVS less than 1 mile away from the distribution center (which is 4 miles from my home).  Answer:  NO!  When the Rx is handed off to the pharmacy, Aetna is no longer responsible for the safe delivery of the drug and won't replace it if it gets lost.  They will only do this for folks who have a relative that works at that CVS. 

So... I'm stuck with having to stay home from work for multiple days each month until I can sign for it.  I can't get a 3-month Rx.  Meanwhile, I have to put up with stuff like (1) UPS losing my package for 2 days, while it went on a lovely unscheduled sight-seeing tour around the country, or (2) UPS leaving an "unable to deliver" notice on somebody's porch (not my porch) in the rain.

My entertainment comes from calling Aetna at the end of the first day to find out where the package is, and I hear the rep say:

Hmmmm....  THAT's funny....  Hmmmmm....

Dx: Sudden severe anemia detected 07/2011, followed by WBC spike. CML Dx 02/2012.

Rx: 03/2012-Gleevec400.  Reduced 02/2013 to Gleevec300 due to side effects (low blood counts).

Response: PCR-Und within 7 mo. on G400. Maintained MMR4-MMR4.5 on G300. PCR-Und since 02/2016.

#7 chriskuo

chriskuo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:54 AM

Can you get Aetna to change to FedEx or put pressure on UPS?  Since it is a $9K-$10K package, they and the delivery company have an incentive to get it right.  

#8 chrissy778

chrissy778

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationTroy, New York

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:07 AM

You need to call back and argue and insist, say that the pharmacy is a secure and responsible facility where all drugs are logged in and logged out. The drug is still signed for it is a CVS pharmacist who is signing. It is a extension of their main facility do they not trust the company they are doing business with. I would write a letter and reemphasize the cost and their liability.  Good Luck

#9 DebDoodah22

DebDoodah22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:24 AM

I started doing this about 3 months ago and it is so helpful. FedEx would not leave pharmaceuticals on the porch and the local office closed at 6. It was always a circus trying to get there on time with multiple calls back and forth to CVS and FedEx for tracking numbers, etc. Now I have the meds drop shipped to my extended hours CVS pharmacy and know the meds have been properly handled, stored it a suitable environment, and will be waiting for me weather I get off at 5PM or 8. Super convenient and stress free!

#10 IGotCML

IGotCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationDallas / Fort Worth, TX

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:01 PM

Chrissy:  I tried to switch to CVS pickup last month.  My drug plan requires me to use the Aetna Specialty Pharmacy for my Gleevec refills. They fill the monthly Rx at the CVS Caremark distribution center near my home, then it is delivered to me by UPS (signature required).  Due to serious delivery issues the past 2 months, I asked if I could pick up my Rx at the CVS less than 1 mile away from the distribution center (which is 4 miles from my home).  Answer:  NO!  When the Rx is handed off to the pharmacy, Aetna is no longer responsible for the safe delivery of the drug and won't replace it if it gets lost.  They will only do this for folks who have a relative that works at that CVS. 

So... I'm stuck with having to stay home from work for multiple days each month until I can sign for it.  I can't get a 3-month Rx.  Meanwhile, I have to put up with stuff like (1) UPS losing my package for 2 days, while it went on a lovely unscheduled sight-seeing tour around the country, or (2) UPS leaving an "unable to deliver" notice on somebody's porch (not my porch) in the rain.

My entertainment comes from calling Aetna at the end of the first day to find out where the package is, and I hear the rep say:

I use Aetna Specialty Pharmacy to order Tasigna.  Aetna will ship refills to my work so I don't have to wait at home.  Perhaps you could ask Aetna if you could get your Gleevec refills shipped to work.  Aetna will also give me the UPS tracking number so I am able to locate the shipment if there is a delay.

#11 Billie Murawski

Billie Murawski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationErie,Pa

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:38 PM

Hi AL, We must both talk to the same rep at Aetna. Now that we're retired we deal with Medicare A&B Aetna supplemental, cvs,cvs speciality drugs and Silverscript Plan D where did they all come from. I'm very thankful we have the coverage, but everyday things change. I'm just starting to get mail from my husbands hospitalization for 6 weeks in Dec.&Jan. So far they all say This is not a bill but the charges are a lot more than what they paid and they say we owe $000   That's what I have gotten from Aetna so far. Now I guess I have to wait and see what Medicare a&b pay then I'll see what's left and I'll have to pay that. Why can't they put everything on one paper and explain it in simple english :(.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users