• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MCPO

MCPO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:08 PM

With Tasigna, there are guidelines on having ECG's.  But, I'm really confused by one part of the recommendations.

Here are the recommendations, exactly:

Your doctor should check your heart with a test called an electrocardiogram (ECG):

• Before starting TASIGNA
  • 7 days after starting TASIGNA
  • With any dose changes
  • Regularly during TASIGNA treatment

What does "regularly" mean?  Monthly?  Biannually?  Annually? What do your oncologists interpret "regularly" to mean?

#2 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 25 December 2014 - 09:28 AM

I am on Sprycel and I get checked every quarter or so.

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#3 IGotCML

IGotCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationDallas / Fort Worth, TX

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:16 PM

I am taking Tasigna and my onc wants me to get an annual EKG.  I have had no heart issues from taking Tasigna.

#4 tiredblood

tiredblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 11:53 PM

Just my thoughts....

I had one EKG prior to initiating Tasigna.  That was just over a year ago. I did have another one when I was experiencing some PACs.  My electrolytes have been within normal limits and I've had no illnesses nor take any drugs that would affect the electrolyte balance.  I think the key is to take it on an empty stomach and keep a check on your electrolytes.  I would think that having an EKG at 6- to 12-month intervals would be reasonable in the patient who is not experiencing any symptoms or other cardiac issues.  I think a person having prolonged QT intervals would be aware that there was a problem that needed immediate attention.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users