6 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry.s

Jerry.s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:58 AM

There some mixed messages out there even with my Onc and his NP . The Onc said no to Prilosec but went I back for stomach pain and the NP referred with the pharmacist who looked it up and said that medications do not effect each other . I have read a study that shows 40 mg per day doesn't effect the gleevec but they gave me 40mg twice a day. I wondering if people on the forum have taken 80mg with effecting gleevec ? I been feeling really good since on Prilosec but after reading that study I cut back to just once a day .

Merry Christmas

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:54 PM

Drug interaction checkers do not take into account the fact that TKI drugs are absorbed better from an acidic digestive system.  So any "antacid" related drugs should generally be taken as far apart as possible from the TKI drugs.  Some PPI drugs are worse than others.

Previous discussion about this:

http://community.lls...tki#entry151847

#3 chrissy778

chrissy778

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationTroy, New York

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:04 AM

So not to keep beating a dead horse to death, but in simple terms could taking Omeprazole and Xactdose Sucralfate Suspension with in a hour of taking Gleevec effect your PCR results. I did this the month of October and part of November. My numbers went from 0.013 in October to 0.54 the beginning of December....Would be nice if this might be the reason, I get it checked again in March....

Its never to late to live happily ever after/ Do not squander time; for that's the stuff life is made of

#4 snowbear

snowbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:30 PM

My Hema/Onc never mentioned this to me when she consulted a pharmacist about interactions with my other meds.  I take 3 meds for reflux/ulcers.... Dexilant 60 mg,  Zantac 300 mg, and Carafate 4x a day.  I had a bad case of esophagitis last summer and have scarring.  I also have a previous diagnosis of ulcers, so I have to take the meds. 

Even with all of that, I have worsening pain since starting the Gleevec.  Skipped another dose last night because I was just so sick and I need a break. 

#5 chrissy778

chrissy778

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationTroy, New York

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:51 PM

I think it really is not labeled a Reaction but if I am reading correctly it compromises the Gleevec so it does not work 100%. I find when my stomach is empty (first thing in Am) it bothers me the most... I take my Gleevec at night after dinner. I have only skipped one pill when my fever was very high. So important not to skip, I am sorry.

Its never to late to live happily ever after/ Do not squander time; for that's the stuff life is made of

#6 Jerry.s

Jerry.s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:41 PM

There is one study alltough small 12 people , that shows there was very little to no interaction with Prilosec and Gleevec I am also on a different cml board on Facebook and many people have been on gleevec and ppi with no effect but like treys said everyone is different. I have a appointment with gi doctor on the 10th and hope I get some help with gi issues my Onc didn't really know how to help me

#7 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:28 PM

Hi snowbear,

Though I can understand why you're skipping just be careful, results have shown that if you skip Gleevec more than 3 times every month your CML can become resistant to it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users