hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:49 AM

Hi, all,

I knew it was coming but just got a call from my oncologist at Mayo in Rochester, MN to say he was retiring. (Actually it was voice mail, I missed the call.)

I only see him once a year, but it's nice to keep a Mayo connection in case things ever go south. Anyone have any suggestions for a replacement? Frank, I know you saw someone there initially. Would you recommend him?

Thanks!

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:36 AM

The Oncs who treat CML at Mayo are listed under the Myeloproliferative Disorders Group at this link:

http://www.mayoclini...pecialty-groups

I would narrow the list to Drs Elliott, Hook, Pardananni, & Wolanskyj

#3 Sneezy12

Sneezy12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:05 PM

Hi Pat,

I go to Thomas Habermann M.D. Professor of Medicine. He is terrific, and has a warm, outgoing personality. I highly recommend him.

We recently moved to Rochester. When you come here, give us a call and we'll get together.

Regards, Frank

#4 LaurieH

LaurieH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:50 AM

I see Dr. Mrinal Patnaik at Mayo. He is fantastic. He goes above and beyond with his level of care including calling with test results on weekends, responding to emails at late hours (11:00 pm when Tasigna had my heart flopping around like a fish out of water) and just making periodic calls to see "how things are going". I could not recommend him more.

Laurie

#5 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:45 PM

Laurie, Frank, Trey,

Thanks so much for your responses. I thought I'd made my mind up, but now I want to look into Dr. Patnaik! Whomever I choose, I'm moving my annual appointments from Jan/Feb to August! The 90 mile drive to Rochester in winter is often a very interesting one!

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#6 mike43147

mike43147

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:51 PM

Pat,

I was a Mayo patient, my doctor was Doctor Hogan.  I don't live in MN, my in-laws do.  I live outside Columbus, Ohio and now my doctor is at The Ohio State James Cancer Hospital.  Wasn't going to the James when my CML mutated which caused me to seek answers from the Mayo.  I see that Doctor Hogan is now the Chair of the Transplant group, yep I was that close.  Not sure if he is taking on new patients but you can't go wrong with the man.  Good luck. 

Been to the Mayo (Rochester, MN) in the winter (2010, 2011, 2012) don't blame you for changing your appointments to the summer months.

Mike

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users