• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DaveL

DaveL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:56 PM

Hi! Just discovered this site and looking for some advice. I was recently switched to tasigna because gleevec stopped working. Good news is now back in MMR for which i am infinitely grateful. But now i have this facial flushing, or more like a continuous red face. It started a few weeks after the switch and has been like this for about 2 months. Does it ever get better? Anyone else go thu this? Is there anything I can take to reduce it? Any suggestions or experiences are welcome!
Thx!

#2 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:02 PM

Can't say much about Tasigna because I haven't taken it but I had the red face flush and rash sporadically with Sprycel. The episodes never went away and for some reason my left side of my face and ear took the brunt of the burn. Oncologist gave me Metro Gel, it is topical but relieved immediate burn. Good luck!
Pam

#3 rcase13

rcase13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:10 PM

Welcome to Tasigna! My Oncologist recommended I wash my face and hair with dandruff shampoo. I just started doing that so not sure if it actually works.

10/01/2014 100% Diagnosis (WBC 278k, Blasts 6%, Spleen extended 20cm)

01/02/2015 0.06% Tasigna 600mg
04/08/2015 0.01% Tasigna 600mg
07/01/2015 0.01% Tasigna 600mg
10/05/2015 0.02% Tasigna 600mg
01/04/2016 0.01% Tasigna 600mg
04/04/2016 PCRU Tasigna 600mg
07/18/2016 PCRU Tasigna 600mg
10/12/2016 PCRU Tasigna 600mg
01/09/2017 PCRU Tasigna 600mg
04/12/2017 PCRU Tasigna 600mg
10/16/2017 PCRU Tasigna 600mg
01/15/2018 PCRU Tasigna 600mg

Cancer Sucks!

#4 IGotCML

IGotCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationDallas / Fort Worth, TX

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:17 AM

I have been on Tasigna for almost 2 years and a red tinge in my face is a side effect.  My face was very red a few weeks after I started taking it, so I asked the pharmacist for my insurance company about this and she said that exposure to the sun causes it.  Initially, it didn't make sense because I began Tasigna in January and had not spent a lot of time outside.  However, it occurred to me that I was getting sun exposure through my car's moon roof.

So I closed the moon roof whenever the sun was shining on my face and I began putting sunscreen on my face when doing yard work outside and that helped the severity of the redness gradually decrease to only slight red tinge around my chin area.  I also think that shaving has a impact on the redness on it because that is the only area on my face where the redness did not completely disappear.

I found the sunscreen to be annoying because I rarely used it before as I don't get sunburn unless I am out in the sun for more than 2 hours.  This last summer, I decided not to use sunscreen when doing my weekly yard work and the redness did not increase.  I am interpreting that to be increased moisture in the air reduces the impact on the sun's effect on my skin.

#5 IGotCML

IGotCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationDallas / Fort Worth, TX

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:23 AM

Welcome to Tasigna! My Oncologist recommended I wash my face and hair with dandruff shampoo. I just started doing that so not sure if it actually works.

I had been using dandruff shampoo twice a week since I was a teenager it was effective in keeping minor dandruff under control.  I don't find the dandruff shampoo effective for the Tasigna dry skin, even with more frequent usage.  Hopefully, it will work better for you.

#6 DaveL

DaveL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for replying. I realize this is somewhat of a luxury problem to have and I'm happy the drugs are working to keep the cml in check.

I looked up Metro Gel, it's an antibiotic, so don't understand why it would work for a drug induced skin reacting, but who knows? Willig to try anything.

Maybe sunscreen is cheap this time of year, so will give that a try too, although can't say I'm getting too much sun at the moment.

I read somewhere dandruff shampoo with zinc may help with itch, but that is not really a big issue for me.

I'm considering trying omega 3 supplements and possibly curcumin, these are meant to be anti-inflammatory.

If anyone has any more ideas would to love to hear. :-)

#7 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 November 2014 - 07:12 PM

I haven't attached photos to updated site, hoping this comes through. All I know is it helped with the burning sensation and reduced the redness from the rash. It felt like it was on fire at times and the skin would peel days later. The hardest part of this deal is 'not one size fits all' what works for one or some very well might not work for others. Sure hope you find something that works.

Seems I remember someone mentioning Aveeno oatmeal lotion helped the dryness, but can't find the post. If dryness is creating the red, moisture might help.
Pam

Attached Files

#8 DaveL

DaveL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 05:26 AM

Thanks Pam, I will give it a try if I can get a script, but won't be till next year.

#9 soundoff

soundoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:41 PM

I would start with sunscreen.
Tasigna and the sun aren't the best of friends. I would talk to a trusted dermatologist and your oncologist.
Maybe a short Tasigna break could help.

Soundoff

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users