9 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry.s

Jerry.s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:45 PM

I would like to ask forum a few more questions I have had some stomach pain while on gleevec. Some days its very small and not even Noticeable today I went to the gym and while stretching I noticed some discomfort in my stomach left side under the rib not where my spleen is more to the left about 4 inches from my spleen.  It feels like a sharp pain like a poke in that spot.. I have other side effects to the Gleevec  that have seem to have gone away such as bone pain and muscle pain.  I mentioned it to a few of my doctors and I guess because it is a known side effect they really don't say much..  I am tired of calling the Nurse line for ever little thing..  Should I be worried?   I don't have a blood in my stool or even diarrhea, just stomach discomfort. I do notice that if I eat too much Protein or Red Chile it bring it on but I haven't really done that in a few weeks?  I take my Pill at night and last night I noticed that my stomach was making a lot of noise around 3 am , this doesn't happen all the time either.   The first week I took Gleevec was the worst for my stomach noise and some pain, it seems to come and go but today its been all day. 

Other concerns are that i Maybe losing a lot of Muscle, does anyone else lift weights or work out hard enough were they noticed a loss in muscle?  

#2 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:08 AM

Hi Jerry,

That sounds like the good old Gleevec Gas, As well as being the propellant in cases of the sharts, it also manifests in nocturnal noises like ancient plumbing and the pain of trapped gas as it accumulates in the lower intestines, pressurizing and stretching them.  That location of far left hand side below the ribs is exactly where I wake most mornings to find I'm inflated to the point of discomfort.  For those of us who do have frequent diarrhea, there then comes the careful calculation of whether it is safe to let that pressure out.

It may be worth experimenting with taking your tablets at a different time of day  Changing my dosage to lunch time has lessened the affects a bit for me. 

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:04 AM

It could be gas, or sometimes there are other issues caused by TKI drugs.  While they are less common, pain can sometimes come from the pancreas due to temporary "overexertion" of that organ by the TKI drugs.  Blood tests should be able to show if you have such an issue.  This is usually transient, but you should ask your doc to watch this issue if the pain continues. 

http://www.mayoclini...ms/con-20028421

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2885641/

#4 Jerry.s

Jerry.s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:17 PM

I went # 2 last night and it seemed to give me a lot of stomach relief. I did also calculate that my fibor intake was low for the past 4 days . Trey did the second study say the guy had to perminatly give up his tki drugs ?

#5 Jerry.s

Jerry.s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:42 PM

I just had blood work done on Wednesday and they said all my numbers looked good. I have another blood work coming up on the 18th and I'll make sure to bring the question up about my Pancreas .

#6 sunshineC

sunshineC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNottingham, PA

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:42 PM

I am currently trying to get an appt with my GP.  I've been on 100mg Sprycel since early March and experienced a LOT of stomach pain and nausea for about 6-7 months.  Just when I thought it was subsiding I woke up this past Friday feeling so sick, mostly nausea, but sometimes pain.  It's been that way all weekend.  Sometimes I notice I have a lot of gas.  Sometimes it's definitely nausea, but sometimes it feels as if I've been kicked in the gut.  When the pain isn't real bad, but still there, I can't tell if I'm in pain, or hungry.  Sometimes it helps to eat, but for a very short time, and then back to pain.  Anyone have any ideas? 

#7 Pin

Pin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:23 PM

I've had severe right lower abdominal pain since I started on Gleevec over 3 years ago. I had a few investigations, CT scan, UTI tests etc. Nothing was ever found, so I just concluded it was the Gleevec gas problem as Phil mentioned.

I've found that changing my diet, removing things that I know give me stomach upset has made a difference to how often I get the pain. It is very debilitating pain, and is a struggle to get through, but at least now I know it's going to pass, and is not anything serious.

Diagnosed 9 June 2011, Glivec 400mg June 2011-July 2017, Tasigna 600mg July 2017-present (switched due to intolerable side effects, and desire for future cessation attempt).

Commenced monthly testing when MR4.0 lost during 2012.

2017: <0.01, <0.01, 0.005 (200mg Glivec, Adelaide) <0.01, 0.001 (new test sensitivity)

2016: <0.01, <0.01, PCRU, 0.002 (Adelaide)

2015: <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, 0.013

2014: PCRU, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01, <0.01

2013: 0.01, 0.014, 0.016, 0.026, 0.041, <0.01, <0.01 

2012: <0.01, <0.01, 0.013, 0.032, 0.021

2011: 38.00, 12.00, 0.14

#8 Jerry.s

Jerry.s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:35 PM

I have changed my diet as well Pin, my pain is more emotional as I feel aim not in control and I feel broken! I use to think I was the hulk but now been humbled .

#9 jmoorhou

jmoorhou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationOutside of San Francisco

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:02 AM

The Onc's seem to push drinking a large glass of water, I was overdoing it, cut back to just about 12 ounces and the stomach pain is better.

Diagnosed 3/2014 WBC 28 Non detectable within 3 monthsGleevec 400 mg 5/2014 one hour after dinner really improves nausea300 mg 12/15/2016200 mg and 300 mg Gleevec 2/25/2017 (after 3 years on Gleevec) For last four months taking 300 mg per day. Last CMC showed liver enzymes elevated, went to a good Naturopath and he recommended 4 Tumeric, 10,000 mg Vitamen D, and 3 milk thistle (silymarin) daily. Also use One<p>Day Detox Dandeloin tea, and Nettle Tea and a slice of ginger every day...in two months liver tests were below normal.Janis

#10 Jerry.s

Jerry.s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:05 PM

Well my doctor thinks it my spleen , I have a ct scan tomorrow ,I'll keep this post updated so if some else feels the same they can go back to this post

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users