• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:47 PM

Thanks, Marnie!  :D

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#22 Tom1278

Tom1278

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:02 PM

I'm 35 and live in Baltimore, MD.  I live with my partner of 8 years.  I was diagnosed a little over 2 years ago at the age of 33 after a routine physical.

I'm on Gleevec 400mg and I am very close to MMR as of my 24 month test results.

Diagnosed with CML in July 2012 (33 years old)

MMR since March 2015; E453K mutation

600mg Gleevec

#23 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:53 AM

I'm 48 and live in a small village just outside Salisbury, England.  Diagnosed Feb 2009 and haunted this place for a few years, learning loads and exchanging banter.  MMR for 5 years and took the decision a while ago to back off from reading all the scientifc papers and hanging here with my BIFs every day to try and put CML behind me and get on with life.  Feeling relaxed enough now to dip my toe back in the waters!

Married with 2 sons (9 and nearly 11) and trying to live a relaxed, outdoorsy kind of life depite being a chartered accountant with a huge commute.  Rumoured to have a pet squirrel with an alcohol problem.  Hate overcooked liver, but flash-fried calve's liver with a red wine sauce is another matter entirely.  Looking forward to retirement at some point in the next few years and also looking forward to some of you lot retiring so I can feed you if you ever visit the UK.

Congratulations Pat on the grandchild!  Do we get to call you Grannibellemo now?

#24 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:42 PM

Phil,

I can't believe "A to Z" are that old already! (Everyone - I highly recommend that you allow PhilB to feed you if you get the chance. He and Mrs. PhilB are fantastic hosts!) You can just call me, Grammy!   :D

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#25 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:15 PM

Hey, Phil.  .  . we ran into a couple from your neck of the woods who own their own motorcycle touring company (Dragon Moto Tours).  They were over here doing a tour, and we met them at the base of Mt. Evans.  We looked at maps together, suggested some rides for them, and gave them our maps so they could find their way.  We've been exchanging e-mails and hope that at some point we'll end up on your side of the pond doing some motorcycle touring. 

We are now in the process of beginning to build a retirement home (getting out of the big city), and then will start touring in earnest.  We might make it out your way sometime.  Since Pat says you are a wonderful host, we may just drop in on you!

Marnie

#26 PhilB

PhilB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:31 AM

Marnie, we'd love to have you.  I don't think my pushbike would keep up with your motorbikes, but there would definitely be a gourmet meal on offer and a bed to sleep it off in.  We'll take you out canoeing too, but we do the flatwater stuff rather than letting the river do all the work!

#27 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:09 AM

I grew up in Minnesota, Land of 10,000 lakes, and have spent a lot of time paddling flatwater. 

#28 acl

acl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:23 PM

Hi JPD,

I live in Ontario, Canada. I am happily married to Joseph, but unfortunately we do not have any children. After working for 29 years as an admitting clerk and Radiology clerk, I took an early retirement. I have some hobbies. I like to work out, gardening, reading and watching TV.  I also do not enjoy liver, but I do tolerate chicken livers.

Adela

Diagnosed March 2014

Imatinib 400 mg. Summer 2014, Imatinib 300 mg.

% BCR-ABL

IS-NCN

06/01/16     0.18%

24/02/16     0.11%

23/03/16     0.13%

12/05/16     0.07%

13/07/16     0.17%

12/09/16     0.12%

21/19/16     0.15%

23/11/16     0.09%

20/12/16     0.11%

19/01/17     0.07%

21/02/17     0.07%

20/03/17     0.06%

20/04/17     0.06%

20/05/17     0.07%

20/06/17     0.06%

23/08/17     0.08%

22/12/17     0.04%

#29 LAC1223

LAC1223

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSchenectady, NY

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:43 AM

Hello everyone

I live alone in upstate NY, never married and no children, working in the Renewables field and loving it. Second career for me after spending 25 years in IT for banking, then I decided to make a change in 2007 and am so happy I did. I was lucky enough to survive 2 brain tumors - one in 1992 and one in 2002 and was a bit blindsided by my CML diagnosis in 2011. Have a great support system of family and friends....Thank goodness!!!!

Love to read, hang with friends, I make a mean Mojito, oh and I love to shop.... Getting harder to go to malls with the back pain, so I have become a bit addicted to online shopping....gonna brag here, my holiday shopping is almost done - thanks QVC :-)

First concert was Phil Collins, last concert was Aerosmith....with Red Hot Chile Peppers, Bon Jovi, Andrea Bocelli, Matcthbox 20, Michael Buble and a bunch of others in between.....my tastes are all over the place.

I too am grateful for this forum, I don't comment a lot, but it's great to know that I have someplace to go to ask questions or to just vent.

#30 gbarrett

gbarrett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:46 PM

HI, I'm Gina... 49 years old, diagnosed CML in July 2011 with random blood test for an iron deficiency. WBC count was at 568 within a year was in remission. I have 3 kids 26 - 22 - 19 all out of the house so my hubby and I are empty nesters. I am starting a new hobby of obedience training with my 3 year old English Springer Spaniel, needed something to do. I'm not a red meat eater at all (probably not good since I have iron deficiency in the first place - my body doesn't absorb iron for some weird reason) but I do like chicken and turkey and LOVE Indian and Thai food!!

#31 Mayra

Mayra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:50 PM

Hi I'm Mayra! I'm from Austin, TX. I'm 37 and have two girls 4 and 9. They keep me really busy. I've been happily married to my husband for 15 years. We were childhood friends and have known each other since the 5th grade. I was diagnosed December 2012 after routine blood work for a health screening. My passions of course are my little family and finding ways for nonverbal children to communicate. I'm a speech pathologist and specialize in Assisting Technology. My hobbies include reading, watching trashy TV shows and shopping. I also like trying new restaurants especially BBQ joints. My music taste is varied and the last concert I attended was Taylor Swift with my 9 year old:)

#32 ChrisC

ChrisC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:26 PM

Hi all,

I am a 63-year-old lady, never married, dx Oct. 2008, PCRU Sept. 2009, quit TKIs Sept. 2011, still PCRU. Saw the Beatles, Stones (3x), Jimi Hendrix, Who (3x). George Harrison, Paul McCartney & Wings, Dylan (5x), Van Morrison, Traffic, the list goes on . . . ; wished I'd seen Bob Marley, Leonard Cohen . . . hooray for YouTube!

ChrisC

Be alert, but not overly concerned.

• Dx Oct. 22, 2008, WBC 459k, in ICU for 2 days + in hospital 1 week

• Leukapheresis for 1 week, to reduce WBC (wasn't given Hydroxyurea)

• Oct. 28, 2008: CML confirmed, start Gleevec 400mg

• Oct. 31, 2008: sent home when WBC reached 121k

• On/off, reduced dose Gleevec for 7 months

• April 2009: Started Sprycel 100mg

• Sept. 2009: PCRU 0.000

• Sept. 2011: after 2 years steady PCRU & taking Sprycel 100mg before bed, quit Sprycel (with permission)

• Currently: still steady PCRU, testing every 6 months 🤗

— Fatigue, hearing loss continue, alas, but I prefer to think it is all getting better!

#33 alexamay09

alexamay09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:27 AM

Hi

I am Scottish. Diagnosed August 2012. Had breast cancer treatment in 2009. Numbers taking a while to come down though have been CCyR for a while. On 140mg sprycel for nearly 2 years. Threw caution to the wind a few months ago and took on a big run down house which will take years to fix. I teach psychology at a Further Education college and can't afford to stop now!  Am allergic to prawns, hate liver, love Qigong.

alex

#34 Rissa

Rissa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:07 AM

Hi.  I haven't posted in months.  I'm a 46 year old native Texan living in Maryland.  Married with 3 kids.  My favorite bands are the Moody Blues and the Eagles, but I love all kinds of music.  The last concert I went to was Night Ranger.  I'm addicted to audiobooks.  I love most genres except for the romance novels.  Blech, no thanks!  No degree, but I am a consultant/database administrator for a software company.  I spent 4 years in the Air Force a long time ago.  I was diagnosed in April of 2011.  Doing well on gleevec.   

#35 story

story

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:54 PM

I am from central Iowa, 3 yrs PCRU. I am married to a wonderful woman and we have a house full of cats and a nervous little dog. Love all music but have been on a Blue October run since seeing them live earlier this summer. I really enjoy building engines and chassis for dirt track racing. Love the oil smoke, dust and noise!

#36 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWilloughby oh

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:37 AM

I live in Cleveland, OH, 61 years old,  Dx  May 2010 , Never been MMR just close, on 70 Sprycel for 1 1/2 years. Divorced with  to grown boys (men)  one is  married with 2 kids and one single living in Chicago. So I get the joy of being a grandma! Work in Tax for a large Paint company at the headquarters. Don't post much but read everyones post every week or so, but don't worry like i used to most of the time!  Enjoy all the banter. I enjoy all kinds of Music grew up int he 70's so still like the old and the new stuff. I do Stained Glass as a hobby. Have a show this weekend, I only do a couple a year since I have a full time job.

Cathy

DX 5-2010  Started normal hydra then Gleevec for 9 months stopped working

Tasigna after 5 pills pancreatis  numbers jumped up quickly

Started Sprycel 100, 8-2010  for a 3 years went down to 50 mg numbers at one point really jumped up quickly

currently on 70 mg for last 2-3 years trying to get onc to reduce dose Numbers never stabilize never MMR till 4-2017 bearly and jump up and down in and out of MMR stayed MMR for 3 months then

After 6 years on sprycel fluid on both lungs, drained still have some fluid on lungs, and currently off drug 4 months now

numbers lower then ever go figure I've never been this low of a number 

last 2 tests .0686 and .0181 !!

#37 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:34 PM

I would like to learn to do stained glass when I'm retired.  I know that it's a pretty expensive hobby, but it just looks like a wonderful hobby!

#38 sullivas6

sullivas6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCarol Stream, IL

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:31 PM

Hi, everyone, while I am an AML survivor and did not battle CML, I like to encourage others battling cancer and I have do have some experience with a chronic illness, HVC, acquired from a blood transfusion during treatment before they tested for HVC. I am post AML treatment 25+ years.

I live in the Chicago Suburbs, father of 4, 2 before AML and 2 after treatment, with 13 years between the sets. ;) I am new grandfather, my first grandchild born last Aug. I too have a BA in History, but I knew it was not going to pay the bills, and sought computer training to become a programmer and have worked in Information Technology for nearly 30 years. I currently work for a major health system in the area, and have experience in both the customer and now business side of healthcare. The business side is just as complex as the treatment side. 

While I do not have experience with your treatments, I do have life experience in dealing with cancer and tough treatment questions, such as chemo vs BMT. Note: even though a relapse patient, I still chose a chemo only course of treatment, but that is another story.

God's peace be with you all.  

#39 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWilloughby oh

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:42 AM

Yes stained glass is a wonderful hobby but very expensive . I keep saying I'm going to stop its too expensive. it has quadrupled in price for supplies since I started. You bleed allot doing it also.... its funny how much blood I get on patterns....

have a good day everyone

Cathy

DX 5-2010  Started normal hydra then Gleevec for 9 months stopped working

Tasigna after 5 pills pancreatis  numbers jumped up quickly

Started Sprycel 100, 8-2010  for a 3 years went down to 50 mg numbers at one point really jumped up quickly

currently on 70 mg for last 2-3 years trying to get onc to reduce dose Numbers never stabilize never MMR till 4-2017 bearly and jump up and down in and out of MMR stayed MMR for 3 months then

After 6 years on sprycel fluid on both lungs, drained still have some fluid on lungs, and currently off drug 4 months now

numbers lower then ever go figure I've never been this low of a number 

last 2 tests .0686 and .0181 !!

#40 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:16 PM

So is it worth learning to do stained glass, or should I just throw that idea out the window?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users