2 replies to this topic

#1 HowYouDoing

HowYouDoing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationPA - USA

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:09 PM

I am in South Central PA and am wondering if anyone on here sees an Onc affiliated with Hershey Medical Center.  I am pretty fed up with the Onc I am currently seeing and am thinking of changing the practice I go to all together.  Hershey is in my Ins network so that should not be an issue.  I was hoping someone would have real life experience with them beyond what you can find on their website.

Thanks for any feedback you can give.

Heather - CMLer since 3/2010 - Gleevec 400 til 11/2013 now Sprycel 100.  :)  

#2 sunshineC

sunshineC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNottingham, PA

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:55 PM

Heather,

I live in Nottingham, PA - just south of Oxford and right over the Maryland border.  I first started seeing an onc at the Helen F. Graaham Cancer Center in Neward, DE because when everything happened I was told to go to the nearest emergency room and they set up an appointment for me from there.  I have not been happy with him, or people in his office for several reasons.  I now have an appointment with an onc who works on clinical trials for CML out of Johns Hopkins in Baltimore.  I haven't seen him yet, but so far he has returned an e-mail within a couple days and it showed he was very concerned about his patients - and he hasn't even seen me yet.  I know it may be a ways to go, but someone once said to me 'why aren't you going to Johns Hopkins, one of the most well-known hospitals in the country for cancer when you are that close?'  It made sense to me, but I don't know how "Central" in PA you are, and it might not work for you.  Just throwing what I've been going thru out there.

Good luck with your search.

#3 Tom1278

Tom1278

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:12 PM

I highly recommend Dr. Alison Loren at the University of Pennsylvania.  She is a CML expert.

I live in Baltimore and go to Philly every 3 months for my appointment.  I first tried Hopkins but I got a huge run-around trying to get an appointment and I gave up.  I'm glad I did.

Diagnosed with CML in July 2012 (33 years old)

MMR since March 2015; E453K mutation

600mg Gleevec

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users