18 replies to this topic

#1 JPD

JPD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:22 PM

So I like the occasional beer... and once in a while I like to have a few beers. 

I know all about the dangers of boozing for the average joe or jane, but what about alcohol and how it relates to either CML and/or the effects of alcohol in combo with the TKIs and damage it might do to the liver.

Has anyone asked their onc about this or have any more information?  If I gotta teetotaler, then so be it, but Id rather not if I can help it. 

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -- Ben Franklin (attributed)

January 15: .53%

April 15:       .78%

July 15:      1.1% - upped dosage to 400mg after this test

Oct 15:       .85%

December 15:  .28%

March 16: .29%

July 16: .34%

October 16: .11%

January 17: .081%

April 17: .055%

July 17: .135%

Oct 17: .008%

#2 mark1963

mark1963

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:38 PM

my doc says moderation is key. they monitor your liver function anyway.

mark

#3 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:57 PM

My onc said it was fine in moderation, but I take Gleevec with breakfast, so any alcohol consumption for me would be many hours after my dose. Expect for tomorrow, since college football season has kicked in!

My bilirubin seems to run a little high, but other liver function tests are normal, and I am a moderate red wine drinker. Hope this helps...

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

#4 VickiW

VickiW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Locationnorthwoods

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:23 PM

My onc has said for years, absolutely not for me.  He won't even let me have a glass of wine during the holidays!  I was never a big drinker anyway but I did enjoy a nice wine or wine cooler occasionally.  He knows my case better than anyone and I trust him, so I obey but this year, just maybe he'll lighten the reins a bit.

Dxd 2007

started on Gleevec switched to Sprycel 100mg in 2009

PCRU since 2011

20mg Sprycel every other day since Dec. 2014

Began TFR 4-18-16

#5 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

As long as my CMP results come back with no issues, I enjoy margaritas and sparkling wine far too often.

#6 JPD

JPD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:51 PM

Marnie, I think you and I need to hang out!  Ill ask my Onc about it next time I see him (for my 9 month test).  I should just probably quit like every other human on the planet, but then again Ive got one pass at this merry-go-round and a tad bit of "the good stuff" makes it more doable.

January 15: .53%

April 15:       .78%

July 15:      1.1% - upped dosage to 400mg after this test

Oct 15:       .85%

December 15:  .28%

March 16: .29%

July 16: .34%

October 16: .11%

January 17: .081%

April 17: .055%

July 17: .135%

Oct 17: .008%

#7 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:38 AM

When I started on Gleevec, I quit alcohol for a couple of months. . worried about liver.  However, when I asked my onc, he said alcohol was o.k. as long as CMP results didn't indicate a problem.  So I resumed my evening margarita or wine, and haven't had any problems.

It's definitely part of our culture to be able to socialize with a beverage in hand. . especially around the campfire or after a day on the slopes, or the river, or on the bike.  I don't drink soda or coffee or beer. . .for me it's either water or wine.  I guess I could socialize with a glass of ice water, but somehow, that's not as much fun!

We're having friends over to grill out this weekend. . .if you're in the Denver area, come on over and hang out with us!

Marnie

#8 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

I enjoy red wine. Maybe a bit to much some times, but my liver values have always been fine, and my response to treatment has been great.

Dont overdo it, i think thats the key. If you get drunk, you will pay for it the next 2-3 days when on a TKI :)

#9 pammartin

pammartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:05 PM

I have never had a problem taking TKI and alcohol but I did notice my tolerance level is lower than it used to be. I don't drink much anymore but it is because of GERD, if I ever get that under control, I am headed for the local wineries for restocking!
Pam

#10 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

You will have to pry my wineglass out of my cold, dead hand (which occasion shall not be from CML, BTW)! However, like Pam, my tolerance is sadly reduced.

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#11 IGotCML

IGotCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationDallas / Fort Worth, TX

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:47 PM

JPD,

Drinking craft beers is a hobby of mine, so I asked my onc about alcohol before I stared on Tasigna and he said alcohol was fine in moderation.  I voluntarily did not drink when I started treatment, but resumed once my blood counts went back to normal.  Since then, I have not had any health issues related to my craft beer hobby.

#12 August1

August1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:57 AM

I definitely enjoy having a few drinks now and then. OK, maybe a lot more than I should. ^_^ Seems like there is always an occasion to celebrate. I guess that's a good thing!

My docs also said that moderation is fine. While there aren't any interactions between alcohol and TKIs, alcohol does have an impact on the liver which you can monitor through liver enzyme tests. Keep in mind also that a lot of alcohol can also have an impact on your immune system and bone marrow function. So my feeling is that getting drunk too often puts us at risk for a lot of potential complications.

Cheers!

#13 Antilogical

Antilogical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:31 PM

Doctors tell EVERYBODY that alcohol is fine "in moderation", whether they're on TKI's or not.  Or they should....

Dx: Sudden severe anemia detected 07/2011, followed by WBC spike. CML Dx 02/2012.

Rx: 03/2012-Gleevec400.  Reduced 02/2013 to Gleevec300 due to side effects (low blood counts).

Response: PCR-Und within 7 mo. on G400. Maintained MMR4-MMR4.5 on G300. PCR-Und since 02/2016.

#14 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:19 PM

Same here on the tolerance! Mine is much lower since starting Gleevec...

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

#15 VickiW

VickiW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Locationnorthwoods

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:59 AM

WOW!  I've been on Sprycel now for several years after total failure on Gleevec 2+ yrs in.  I guess I better just stay on the wagon because I didn't have a high tolerance to begin with so one wine cooler now would probably have me either under the table or dancing on top of it!  Neither scenario would be very pretty!!! ;)  

Dxd 2007

started on Gleevec switched to Sprycel 100mg in 2009

PCRU since 2011

20mg Sprycel every other day since Dec. 2014

Began TFR 4-18-16

#16 Bobes

Bobes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:48 PM

This was one of the first questions I asked my doctor after starting my Tasigna (Nilotinib) treatment.  Since I'm a 26 year old, alcohol is a pretty big part of my social scene which is why it was a concern to me.  When I was first diagnosed and started treatment my doctor advised me to abstain from booze until they could assess how my body reacted to the medicine.  After about a month of sobriety and great response to the medicine my doctor told me I could have "a few beers" for the labor day weekend.  I did so and felt fine, but like others have a lower tolerance.  I'm not sure I'm going to blame it on the medicine yet, because I think it's more due to the month of no booze. 

My doctor told me about another patient she treats around the same age as me taking the same drug and he can't drink at all because it gives him bad stomach aches.  I feel bad for this poor soul and will have a drink for him ;)

Moral of the story is I think it is a case by case sort of situation, so start slow and don't over do it. 

#17 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:43 PM

I'll drink to that (can you see me raising my wine glass?).  Drinking as I type.

#18 Antilogical

Antilogical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:48 PM

Drinking in solidarity, too!  A nice pinotage, tonight.

When I was told by my hem/onc that I had CML, question #1 was: How do we treat it?  Answer: The miracle pill.  Question #2 was:  Can I have wine with that?  Answer: Yes.  So it was a glass-is-half-full kind of day....

Dx: Sudden severe anemia detected 07/2011, followed by WBC spike. CML Dx 02/2012.

Rx: 03/2012-Gleevec400.  Reduced 02/2013 to Gleevec300 due to side effects (low blood counts).

Response: PCR-Und within 7 mo. on G400. Maintained MMR4-MMR4.5 on G300. PCR-Und since 02/2016.

#19 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:05 PM

I have, on occasion, taken my pill with wine when it was closer to hand than water.  Not sure my onc would recommend that. . .but I don't follow directions very well, anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users