#1 mlk210

mlk210

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:13 AM

Hi Everyone! I started Sprycel 2 weeks ago and after the first week of horrific headaches, I was feeling awesome. Then this past Sunday, I woke up with my equilibrium completely off in the morning. Realizing I had been at a get together and didn't eat a ton, after breakfast I started to feel much better. Then I started to have shortness of breath and when I would take a deep breath I would get a pain on the right side of my collarbone or neck. By the time nighttime hit, I had so much anxiety about it, my husband took me to the ER.

After a normal ekg(except for accelerated heart rate) they gave me a chest x-ray and a ct scan. All came back normal. My vitals were fine, oxygen level 99%. So, they sent me away and told me to follow up with my doctor. Already had an appointment with my onc for yesterday so went there, he looked at the x-ray and ct scan and said it all looked good. Listened to my lungs and said it again all looks good.

The shortness of breath happens by just walking just to the bus stop for my kids. I take a deep breath and feel tightness along my collarbone on both sides now. But if I'm sitting, my breathing is normal. Could this just be some form of inflammation? My onc is having me go in for an echocardiogram to get a baseline. I'm only 38 and do have high blood pressure, but I check it everyday and it's been more controlled now than before I started the meds. The light headiness seems to occur when I'm cold. 

Am i being a hypochondriac? Has anyone else ever had these side effects before?

7/2014 Diagnosed,8/14 Started 100mg Sprycel, 9/14 Thyroidectomy (thyroid cancer)

8/2015 Undetectable, 12/15 Plural Effusion (3 wk drug break)

1/2016 Started 70mg Sprycel, 3/16 Plural Effusion (4 wk drug break)

3/16 .014 after a wk w/o meds

4/16 Started 400mg Gleevec

4/16 Undetectable, 7/16 Undetectable, 10/16 Undetectable, 2/17 Undetectable, 5/17 Undetectable, 8/17 Undetectable

#2 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:52 PM

Hi:  Do not ever feel your a hypochondriac when taking one of these drugs that can effect everyone in a different way. I am not on Sprycel. I have been on Gleevec for 13 years.  There are so many side effects to these drugs, even though they do the job to fight out CML.

It could be a side effect of your Sprycel, because it is knownto effect the lungs in some people.

Just follow your doctors instructions, but let him know everything that is going on with you.  Its your body, and  you know when something is not right.

Your so new to this treatment, and sometimes our body needs to adjust.  Read some of the other posts from people who are on Sprycel, and they can give you a good idea of what they have experienced.

Keep in mind that we are so fortunate to have these TKI drugs available to us, and that they were not available back in the 90's.

Susan

#3 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:58 PM

It always pays to get things checked out as not everything is TKI related, though a lot of it is. :) My side effects from Gleevec would come and go, plus I wound up with different ones the further along I got.

#4 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:58 PM

Hi Susan,

How is everything at the moment?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users