• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Erin

Erin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:44 PM

I asked many questions for my brother who was diagnosed in early May with CML.  He started out with 165,000 WBC and 2 million platelet.  His chromosome was hard to find--for a while they thought he was negative.  AFter being on Gleevec a month, wbc went to 35,000 and platelet 1  million.  Then he had to take a week off of it because his rash was so bad all over he was nearly hospitalized.  Back on for a month and his wbc went to 13,000 but platelets went back up--to 1 and ahalf million.  I did some reading and caught something about people with abnormal genes--their platelets stay high and they are harder to treat.  Did anyone else have trouble with your platelets coming down?  Could he have both CML and one of those other diseases that cause high platelets.  Also, I read on here someone was prescribed anagrelide as well as gleevec for platelets.  Sorry this is so confusing.  Thanks for any information.

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:38 PM

Platelets are usually the last major blood issue to normalize.  So I would not be so concerned about the platelets for now.  The bigger concern would be staying on the drug with the rash being so persistent.  Drug breaks along with anti-allergenic pills and topical steroids might get him through the skin issues and keep him on the drug more consistently in the near future.  He will need to experiment with what works for his rash issues. 

#3 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:47 PM

I was already on the anti-histamine Periactin (for migraine) when I started Gleevec. I still got the rash to a lesser degree on the back of my legs. I plastered Savlon ointment on it as well. It went a way after a week, but came back when I had bronchitis then disappeared altogether. I still take the anti-histamine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users