#1 cedespres

cedespres

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCoventry Rhode Island

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

Hello,

I was diagnosed one week ago today. I had spent 9 days in the hospital with a tick born disease and svt until cardiac ablation. I am having my gleevec delivered tomorow and am really nervous about what will happen when I start taking it. My wife will be at work and I will be hame alone. Should I wait until Sat and she is home all day with me or start tomorow? what should I expect?

#2 Antilogical

Antilogical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

For me, the somewhat unpleasant side effects did not start making an appearance until the 3rd week.

Weeks 1 & 2:  My blood chemistries normalized.  Yay!

Weeks 3 and beyond:  Among other things, I've experienced edema (legs & face), fatigue, GI issues, rash, nausea, joint pain, neutropenia.  Most have eased up or completely disappeared, and I have learned how to manage the others.

Dx: Sudden severe anemia detected 07/2011, followed by WBC spike. CML Dx 02/2012.

Rx: 03/2012-Gleevec400.  Reduced 02/2013 to Gleevec300 due to side effects (low blood counts).

Response: PCR-Und within 7 mo. on G400. Maintained MMR4-MMR4.5 on G300. PCR-Und since 02/2016.

#3 simone4

simone4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

Hello,

I was diagnosed one week ago today. I had spent 9 days in the hospital with a tick born disease and svt until cardiac ablation. I am having my gleevec delivered tomorow and am really nervous about what will happen when I start taking it. My wife will be at work and I will be hame alone. Should I wait until Sat and she is home all day with me or start tomorow? what should I expect?

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis after all the other problems that put you in the hospital. 

I remember the first time I took my Gleevec, and although nothing happened, I was anxious

to take it alone. I had a neighbor come over and have dinner with me while I took it.

If it makes you feel better, wait until your wife is with you.  One day delay can't hurt.

Take care.  We will be here for you.

Simone

#4 gerry

gerry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:20 PM

When I took my initial dose, I lay down in bed with a bucket handy. Didn't have any issues, got up and life returned to normal. I did read a day or so later that you shouldn't lie down when you take it. LOL

Make sure you have your tablet with some dinner. After reading the list of side effects it can be a bit scary. But the info would cover people with GIST who also take Gleevec, plus it possibly covers up to 800mg of Gleevec.

Wait a day to take it if you need to. :)

#5 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

I can still remember when I started Gleevec 13 years ago.  I was waiting for all kinds of things to happen, but nothing did.  As I continued to take it I found that I was fatigued, got edema in the eyes which I still get after all these years. I developed a lot of hand and foot cramps too.  My biggest thing to avoid Nausea is to be sure you take it with a decent meal.  Maybe you would like to take it with your dinner, and drink plenty of fluid also.  I did have to start taking Nexium due to the Gleevec causing heartburn.  You should do fine.  Everyone gets different side effects, but they are in most cases tolerable.  Please let us know how you do.  There is always someone here to help you out.  We have an amazing group of supportive people here.

Susan

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

Susan how long have you been on nexium. I have some erosion in my colon and the doctor wants me to take 80 milligrams of prilosec a day to heal the colon. I have had bleeding with lots oif clots in it. Oncologist says that Gleevec would not cause the bleeding or e rosions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users