2 replies to this topic

#1 JoshLee

JoshLee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:49 AM

Hi All,

So my monocyte percentage has slowly been going up over the past few months. It's currently at 11.5%. Absolute count is normal at .4 . Do monocytes have anything to do with CML?

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:16 PM

The percentages are irrelevant if the absolute number is normal.  The percentage is only high because your neutrophils (and possibly lymphocytes) are low.  If monocytes are the only normal cell count by absolute number, then its percentage will be high; so it is only a math issue.

#3 Guest_Bill_*

Guest_Bill_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:10 AM

Hi Josh,

My monocytes jumped up a little at one point as well. Like you the absolute number was normal. As Trey mentions that's the important number. So nothing to worry about.

Changes in blood counts happen all the time, especially for those of us on TKIs. We just see them much more often as we're typically on a three-month CBC/CMP schedule.

Over the last two years, and especially since switching to Sprycel, I've had several small changes in my counts including monocytes, neutrophils, RBC, WBC, MCH, etc. Eventually they've all balanced back out and my PCR is hovering right around MMR. So the changes are likely more related to the TKI than the CML. 

Take care,

Bill

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users