Bone Marrow Biopsy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:50 PM

Hi Trey,

When I had my BMB on the 11th, the hematologist said that it will take about 6 weeks for him to receive all the BMB results. Does it really take that long? I am hoping that the test will read NO LEUKEMIA! He compared it to a pregnant woman that has to wait 9 or 10 months for the baby, that's a long time to wait for a test result. I don't have any pain from the BMB, what a BLESSING. Thanks Trey, I really appreciate all of your knowledge.

ACG

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

BMB results come in two phases.  First, within a few days a preliminary BMB result should be available, but it only provides "morphology" information (information about the marrow cells in general, such as numbers of certain types of cells, sizes, etc).  The cytogenetics (leukemic cell count) portion will usually be available within a week or so.  If you do not have the results within 2 weeks your Onc is failing you miserably (again).

I know you would like to see a zero cytogenetics count, but realistically you should hope the cytogenetics test at 6 months shows about 2 out of 20 cells leukemic (about 10%). 

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:08 AM

Hi Trey,

Thank you for replying. I am not able to change Hematologists at this time, I have known him for many years through my job at St. Mary's General Hospital, and sometimes he contacted me to retrieve patients records in the files, as this was part of my job. I really appreciate all of your knowledge and insight. Again thank you so much for your time and expertise.

Acg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users