#1 jmoorhou

jmoorhou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationOutside of San Francisco

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

I know this has been discussed.  But I wanted to bring it up again!  Does anyone have any ideas on this.....or tried and not succeeded.  Is a bowl of oatmeal and a fruit smoothie with yogurt enough to take the Gleevec with....after a couple of cups of coffee, and of course a mug of hot lemon water which is a good diuretic btw.

Thanks in advance for answers.

Diagnosed 3/2014 WBC 28 Non detectable within 3 monthsGleevec 400 mg 5/2014 one hour after dinner really improves nausea300 mg 12/15/2016200 mg and 300 mg Gleevec 2/25/2017 (after 3 years on Gleevec) For last four months taking 300 mg per day. Last CMC showed liver enzymes elevated, went to a good Naturopath and he recommended 4 Tumeric, 10,000 mg Vitamen D, and 3 milk thistle (silymarin) daily. Also use One<p>Day Detox Dandeloin tea, and Nettle Tea and a slice of ginger every day...in two months liver tests were below normal.Janis

#2 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:01 PM

My routine is very close to.that.  I take Gleevec with a banana and a big bowl of oatmeal and some water, and it sits very well in my stomach.  And that is after having a couple cups of coffee about 30 minutes earlier.  I have been doing that with with Gleevec 400mg for over three years...

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

#3 jmoorhou

jmoorhou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:32 PM

Dan thanks so much. 

Diagnosed 3/2014 WBC 28 Non detectable within 3 monthsGleevec 400 mg 5/2014 one hour after dinner really improves nausea300 mg 12/15/2016200 mg and 300 mg Gleevec 2/25/2017 (after 3 years on Gleevec) For last four months taking 300 mg per day. Last CMC showed liver enzymes elevated, went to a good Naturopath and he recommended 4 Tumeric, 10,000 mg Vitamen D, and 3 milk thistle (silymarin) daily. Also use One<p>Day Detox Dandeloin tea, and Nettle Tea and a slice of ginger every day...in two months liver tests were below normal.Janis

#4 jmoorhou

jmoorhou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:55 PM

Dan can I ask did your potassium levels go down taking the Gleevec?

#5 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:06 PM

Nope - I have stayed in the normal range throughout my journey.  I usually have a banana every morning, and I eat a lot of spinach, so my diet might be helping.

Dan - Atlanta, GA

Gleevec 400mg

#6 jmoorhou

jmoorhou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

Do you mind if I ask do you have to take high blood pressure meds (diuretic)?

#7 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:25 PM

I don't.  Fluid retention has not been an issue for me -- I get the occasional baggy eyes from the Gleevec edema side effect, but that's it.  Up to this point in my journey, things have been pretty vanilla - start Gleevec 400mg and continue life.  I've been fortunate in that I'm not on any other regular medications and my side effects from Gleevec 400mg have been minimal.  My biggest setback was anxiety over the first 6 - 12 months of treatment, but after a lot of work on my mind/body/soul, I've pretty much got that under control.  Hope this helps!

Dan - Atlanta, GA

Gleevec 400mg

#8 RayT

RayT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:32 PM

Hi! I've been taking Gleevec 400mg since Dx with CML 4-1/2 months ago.  I also take lisinopril (ACE inhibitor,) furosemide (diuretic) and metoprolol succinate (beta blocker) for heart attack 30 yrs ago due to chemo for Hodgkin's disease, as well as several other meds.  I take all my meds, except the Gleevec, in the morning before breakfast.  I usually take the Gleevec with lunch or dinner (to separate it from the other meds) without any problems regardless of what I'm eating.  The key for me is eating SOMETHING with the Gleevec; I did it today with 2 donuts and coffee.  (DISCLAIMER:  Don't try this at home. I'm a trained "professional," aka career paramedic. I define "balanced diet" as, "Half food, half junk." )  I've tried a couple of times with just water; let's just say it wasn't pretty.   My big problems with Gleevec have been fatigue, chills and lower leg edema.

#9 jmoorhou

jmoorhou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:10 PM

Ray thanks so much for your reply.  I was just diagnosed with CML in February.  I was being treated for high blood pressure, but I think it reduced my potassium I start taking Spironolactone for a diuretic and potassium and now it has given me gout....seems scary you take one drug just for side effects and then that gives you bad side effects.  I thought I was having trouble breathing but maybe it was my imagination.....

#10 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

HI:  I have been on Gleevec 400mg for over 13 years.  I have always had to eat a full breakfast with the Gleevec to avoid nausea.  It can be eggs and toast, or Oatmeal as long as its a substantial amount of food to fill the stomach for me.  I am on blood pressure medication for years, and still take it everyday.  I am on other medications also, but they do not interfere with my Gleevec or the way I feel.  I do not take a diuretic, but the banana should help your potassium.

The best thing is not to try to dig deep to look for things that you think might be giving you trouble.  Our minds can do a lot of things to us if we start questioning everything we take.

So many people read all the side effects that are printed on the slip that comes with our medications, and then you start to think your having them all.  Just do the meal with your Gleevec, and you should be fine.  Some people like to take the Gleevec with dinner, because they said if they have any side effects that they most likely will be sleeping before they would start.

Susan

#11 jmoorhou

jmoorhou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:50 PM

Susan can you tell me what the blood pressure med is?  Thanks

#12 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

Hi:  I am on Toprol and also on Benicar.  Benicar was given to me because it says it protects the kidneys, and I have kidney problems too.

#13 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:49 AM

I was on Benicar 20mg for about 7 years leading up to my CML dx - doc discovered high blood pressure and a mildly enlarged heart after I ran a marathon in late 2003 and Benicar did a great job of getting things back to normal.

One interesting note about my journey - over the first 4 months of my CML treatment journey I lost over 30 pounds -- this was due to diagnosis anxiety, reduced alcohol and red meat intake, and obsessive running & biking.  I weaned off Benicar at the 3-month point and my blood pressure has remained normal ever since.  My lessons learned: diet and exercise really can make a difference, and aside from some good red wine and the occasional beer, alcohol just isn't healthy for the human body.

Dan - Atlanta, GA

Gleevec 400mg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users