Photo

Fasting for 3 days can kick start stem cells ...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:44 PM

I came across this article in the news today:

http://www.telegraph...tudy-finds.html

This is intriguing.

So ... fast for 3 days and then during the fast, the cancer stem cells are coaxed into dividing which exposes them to TKI death.

Hmmm. Makes me think I should up my dose during a fast and nail the dividing stem cells.

Any weakness to the paper Trey? (that you can spot)

Michael

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:03 AM

I don't think the top level blood stem cells would be coaxed to divide, probably just the  progenitor level cells.  If so, that would not be useful.

Mature neutrophils, once released from the marrow into the peripheral blood, live less than a day.  And neutrophils are the ones we are primarily interested in with CML since they are the bulk of the leukemic cells.  So you can see that the neutrophil turnover is already extremely rapid.  How much faster would we want the cycle to be to cause stem cell involvement?  So overall I doubt it would help.  But if someone has persistent very low WBC counts might it be worth trying?  Dunno.

Message was edited by: Trey Fox

#3 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

I sent a note to Dr. Longo whose research the news article cited. I asked him if they were able to discriminate between the the highest order HSC and daughter self-renewing stem cells.

Specifically I asked if an HSC which has since transposed into an LSC (and therefore become potentially cancerous), might fasting induce LSC division and hence expose more LSC's to our TKI's.

I look forward to his response.

For those who have low level residual disease and that is probably most of us even those whose PCR's are undetectable (except you - you are cured, there are no LSC's left in you or Susan, but that is just my informed opinion) might benefit from a series of 3 day fasts over a period of time to hit LSC's harder. But I agree with you, if the daughter LSC's are the one's the article is strictly referring to - then it probably would help some people achieve PCRU for psychological reasons and may just be sufficient to prevent recurrence.

I personally have engaged in many fasts - even fasts as long as a full 3 days since CML diagnosis. It was mostly due to getting the flu or some other cause not wanting to eat. I am curious if a structured series of fasts with elevated TKI dose during a period just following might be an interesting trial?

A one day fast is easy - three days is tough, especially if you need to perform (work, academia, sport).

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

#4 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:39 PM

I did hear back from Dr. Longo. He mentioned they are doing long term research with Multiple Myeloma patients and are having success using fasting (but longer than 3 days). There is evidence that MM cells are preferentially eradicated in favor of HSC's. Wishful thinking perhaps in application to CML, but intriguing nonetheless. It's an interesting idea.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users