• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Asmaa

Asmaa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:52 PM

I posted before that I found out I was pregnant last July while I was taking Tasigna 300mg 2x day.  I discontinued the drug as soon as I found out I was pregnant (approximately 4wks along).  I gave birth last month to a healthy baby boy Thank God.  Just wanted to share .  I was never PCRU, I had been on tasigna 400mg 2x a day for the majority of those 3 years since dx, and had recently switched to a lower dose before becoming pregnant.  My numbers were low though, .003, and slowly rose throughout the pregnancy.  I am still off therapy while I breastfeed, but the doctors are urging me to go back on therapy soon since my last test came back 27%, though I am trying to figure out what that means exactly because my doc said the scale changed.  My cbc remained normal throughout the pregnancy, and i was slightly anemic, but that went away as soon as I delivered.  I don't understand how I am at 27% with an almost normal wbc (12,000), and no anemia and no enlarged spleen.  At dx I was 31% and very sick, but I feel great now.  I forgot to ask him to mail me a copy of my results so I could try to decipher them myself.  If anyone knows what he may have meant by the "scale has changed" please share, so I can try to make the best decision for myself.  I'm considering doing nothing until my wbc count starts to rise. Thanks in advance! 

#2 mariebow

mariebow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:25 PM

Congrats on that healthy baby. Kiss him for me.

#3 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:39 PM

Congrats on the healthy baby!  You have already given him all the health benefits of breastfeeding immunity-wise.  I think the majority of that comes in the first few days of b'fing.  So don't feel like you have to bf for 6 months or so. 

Regarding the scale changing, that could be from a few things.  Either they are using a different lab with a different scale, or its the same lab, but they changed its method, in particular the reference gene they use as a control to compare the level of BCR-ABL against.  Or the lab switched to the international scale.  Ask your doctor if there is a conversion factor you can use to compare results between the two scales.

HTH,

Traci

#4 Frogiegirl

Frogiegirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

I am super happy for you!  I would love to have one more baby as well. Did u lose allot of hair on tasigna?  I am only 6 months from diagnosis and have just recently adjusted my dose to 300 mg. My hair lose has not slowed down at all! Uuhhgg congrats on your healthy baby! I hope to accomplish that same thing one day:)

Diagnosed Oct 2013 Started 600mg of Tasigna  on Nov 4th. Lowered dose a few months later to 300mg due to side affects stayed here declining PCR until March 2015 small jump from 0.0072 to 0.0083 scarred my doc into full dose of Tasigna again 600mg(been miserable since) but reached PCRU 06/15/2015(next test) and have been there ever since. Hoping to have another little one. I have the support of my doc to go off anytime, just scared to jump. might go two years PCRU but he said it wont make much of a difference. I just figured I could possibly go into a trial while preggers if I got the two years behind me.

Nov 8th 2017 went off Tasigna

Dec 1st PCRU off TKI

Jan 5th PCR Detected .0625

Feb 1st PCR Detected .7815

Added 8-6 grams Curcumin daily in Feb

March 3rd PCR Detected 3.2646 YIKES!

stopped trying for baby after February reading. will start new TKI march 16th 2017 (Sprycel)

FYI I'm not done trying for my last little one.

#5 Asmaa

Asmaa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:27 PM

Thank you for the kind words. And I will definitely have to get more info on the scale being used from my doctor, because I am definitely confused. 

Frogiegirl, yes I lost a good amount of hair on tasigna. It seemed like I was shedding quite a bit everyday. Eventually it slowed down, but it stayed on the thin side.  I also had a horrible rash on most of my body for 3 years, so I've actually decided to go on gleevec instead when I resume therapy.  The good news for women of child bearing age, is that everyone who has had a good result with tki's and then went off to have a baby, and then resumed it, has always had a good result after the break as well

and mariebow, I will def give him an extra kiss - i'll try posting a pic later. 

#6 Asmaa

Asmaa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

14 - 1.jpg

Here's my little (big) guy lol.  He nurses ALOT as you can see

Frogie girl, I just happened to see your post on my other thread, sorry it's been a while since I've been here.  And no, this isn't my first child.  I felt exactly like you did, like I was meant to have another baby, but I didn't know if it would happen.  I tried to send you a private message, but it wouldn't let me because I guess I have to add you as a friend first.  I tried to do that, so if it works then I will be glad to talk with you more.  I understand where you are at, and all the questions.  Fortunately where I go (UNC cancer hospital), I ask a million questions and they never make me feel like a burden.  I even argue with them, but in a good way and they always listen and are respectful so maybe I have asked some of the same questions you would like to ask. 

#7 Frogiegirl

Frogiegirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:23 PM

Awwww he is gorgeous!  The chunkier the cuter! I Def like a baby with substance:) It's hard not too cry looking at him, he's a little miracle. I feel I have so much love to give another child,  I've even looked into adoption but sadly they won't consider me because of the luekemia:( I Believe we are the same age as well 32? Did u get any Bald spots on tasigna? I literally lose my hair from the root. You can see it on the end of every strand uhhggg.I still have trouble navigating this Web site so I'm not sure if we have to be "friends" to send messages privately? So we're u on tasigna for 3 years before becoming prego? Also I believe u said u never reached PCRU? I hope I can hold my numbers on the lower dose of tasigna.....

Diagnosed Oct 2013 Started 600mg of Tasigna  on Nov 4th. Lowered dose a few months later to 300mg due to side affects stayed here declining PCR until March 2015 small jump from 0.0072 to 0.0083 scarred my doc into full dose of Tasigna again 600mg(been miserable since) but reached PCRU 06/15/2015(next test) and have been there ever since. Hoping to have another little one. I have the support of my doc to go off anytime, just scared to jump. might go two years PCRU but he said it wont make much of a difference. I just figured I could possibly go into a trial while preggers if I got the two years behind me.

Nov 8th 2017 went off Tasigna

Dec 1st PCRU off TKI

Jan 5th PCR Detected .0625

Feb 1st PCR Detected .7815

Added 8-6 grams Curcumin daily in Feb

March 3rd PCR Detected 3.2646 YIKES!

stopped trying for baby after February reading. will start new TKI march 16th 2017 (Sprycel)

FYI I'm not done trying for my last little one.

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:36 PM

Congratulations! He is gorgeous.

Best wishes.

Adela

#9 mariebow

mariebow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts