• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mschmidli

Mschmidli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

I just got my one tear results. I am at .68% IS. My dr wants to do a bone marrow biopsy next month to make sure everything is ok. I haven't had one since diagnosis. I am on gleevec 400mg. Here are my previous results:

Diagnosis 4/4013 84.19%

6/2013   13.7%

7/2013     2.56%

8/2013     2.24% IS

10/2013    0.57% IS

1/2014    0.32% IS

4/2014    0.68% IS

I was worried because it was the firs time I saw an increase but my dr said it's really not considered an increase at this point. I really hate to change meds because the side effects are so manageable for me with gleevec. The dr told me not to worry he just wants to check things out but I can't help but worry. Are these numbers bad for one year results ? Is it possible to hover between 0 and 1% and still be ok? Would you switch meds if the bone marrow test does not show any issues? Thanks

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:45 PM

Since you are CCyR before 1 year that is better than average, and no reason to be concerned since you have not lost CCyR (roughly a PCR 1% IS).  The BMB is not really necessary but a conservative approach which is not wrong.  Your Onc seems to be on the right track.

#3 Mschmidli

Mschmidli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:00 PM

I had the BMB today and I am even more confused. My last PCR was .68% ...the nurse practitioner was telling me that if the BMB results show Zero out of 20 were affected then I can stay on gleevec. If not, they would switch me to Tasigna. How would the BMB show zero if my PCR shows .68%? Thanks so much for your input

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:36 PM

The PCR is much more sensitive than a BMB, so it will remain positive long after the BMB and FISH are negative.  Essentially the nurse is saying that if you have attained CCyR (shown by zero BMB or zero FISH) then you would remain on Gleevec.  If not they are suggesting a drug change.  A zero BMB is roughly equivalent to a 1% PCR International Standard (IS).  So you should be at or near zero BMB if your PCR result is IS.

#5 Mschmidli

Mschmidli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:31 PM

Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users