8 replies to this topic

#1 Justine

Justine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:57 AM

Hi

Recently my mother in law has been diagnosed with CML - she has started her treatment yesterday (via tablet form). I would just like to know (may sound a silly question), when they say to drink plenty of water with the tablet, what counts as plenty of water - is a glass enough, or 1/2 litre. Also they say to take it with a meal (again another silly question), can a meal be simply a few slices of toast in a morning, or a sandwich rather than a massive plate of food. Any advice, tips or feedback would be greatly appreciated as we are all very new to this.

Many thanks

#2 tazdad08

tazdad08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:38 AM

Which TKI is she taking. There are only a few, but some have different instructions.

Diagnosed in September 2011. Tried one year of Sprycel. Had great response. Became undetectable in a few months. Changed to Tasigna hoping for less side effects. Self medicated myself down to 20% dose and held for 3 years before becoming detectable again. It has been a journey that has helped me realize what life is about! I am all about a balanced life. I firmly agree with my decision to lower my dose. What is life if you aren't living? Mine will never be the way it was, but it is going to be as good as I can make it! Drs PRACTICE medicine, we can guide our dr to help us with a better life! Don't settle until it's acceptable to you!

#3 0vercast

0vercast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:42 AM

An 8-12 oz glass of water with the pill should be enough, but asking her to raise her level of daily water intake would also be a good idea. It's widely accepted that women should shoot for two liters of healthy fluids per day, and men should do three liters, almost regardless of meds or disease. Raising my water intake is one of the best things I've ever done, health-wise. I feel a lot better.

The meal is just meant to cushion the blow to the stomach. Some people get instant diarrhea if they take TKIs on an empty stomach, and I can't imagine it's good for the gastric walls either. If she's taking her TKI with a couple pieces of toast and not having any GI issues, then a few pieces of toast is all that's needed.

#4 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:06 PM

Hi, Justine. . .if your mother-in-law is taking Tasigna, then the pill/food schedule is very important.  If she is on Gleevec or Sprycel, then she can do what works best for her.  When I was on Gleevec, it worked best for me to take my pill in the evening with dinner.  I had G.I. issues, so I preferred to deal with that in the evening rather than during the day.

I am now on Sprycel, and I can take it at any time with or without food, with no adverse affects.  So if your mother-in-law is on either of those two medications, the amount of food or water isn't critical, and she can play around with it to see what works best for her.  Tasigna is a different story, though her doctor would have been very specific with dietary instructions, so I'm guessing that is not her medication.

Best of luck.  Have her introduce herself on this forum when she's ready.  This is a great group of people, and an wonderful source of information and support. 

Marnie

#5 Justine

Justine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

Many thanks Marnie

She is taking gleevec so we will do trial on error with her food and water etc

Thank you for taking time to respond. It's really helpful

#6 Justine

Justine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

She is taking gleevec.

#7 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

I drink about 2.5 dl of water with my pill, and i take it with 2 slices of bread each morning.

Usually take my pill at around 9, but some times later in the weekends, and especially after a night out, but always before 12.

Same routine for 2 years now, works pretty well for me

#8 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:23 PM

Having food with your Gleevec is more to try to control any nausea. I initially started out with having a big meal at dinner time, but I switched taking the Gleevec to the morning due to fluid retention issues at night. I just had my Gleevec with a bowel of cereal. I also had anti nausea tablets on hand if I felt a bit squeamish from the Gleevec. I think you are probably advised to take it with a glass of water so it doesn't get stuck on the way down. Apparently it tastes pretty bad when it loses its coating, it can also cause heartburn for a lot of people. 

#9 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

Oh it tastes bad indeed, i should know, i drank it the first 5-6 months

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users