9 replies to this topic

#1 shelley71

shelley71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:53 PM

Hi all,

I am recently diagnosed with chronic phase CML. I had incidentally also just been learning about the benefits of a whole foods, plant-based diet on health and disease (via Forks Over Knives and the work of T Colin Campbell, Dr Esselstyn, Dr McDougall). There seem to be many studies and stories of this diet reversing solid cancers, and I am wondering if there is evidence of it helping blood cancers as well. Does anyone have links to studies/info?

Also, I'd love to hear from anyone who utilizes this type of diet and the outcomes they've seen, related to side-effects, blood counts, etc, I am slated to start Tasigna as soon as my insurance company approves it. They want to use Gleevek but my hematologist is pushing for Tasigna instead.

Thanks in advance!

Shelley

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

CML is a genetic accident.  Eating well is a good idea, but it does not have much to do with treating the disease.  But by all means, eat well.  However, there is nothing wrong with meat, poultry, eggs, etc. 

#3 shelley71

shelley71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

Trey, aren't all cancers genetic accidents?

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

Not in the same way.  There are over 175 separate  cancers.  Some are similar, others are very different.  CML is a chromosome translocation, but most cancers are not.  A number of cancers are induced by "irritations" such a smoking, asbestos, sun exposure, chemicals, etc.  Those are induced, not genetic accidents in the way CML is.  There is nothing most of us could have done differently to avoid CML.  We did not induce it in nearly every case.  We did not eat something which caused it.  We did not fail to eat something which could have avoided it.  Eating differently after diagnosis will not significantly alter the outcome.  But that does not mean we should not eat well.  Eating well is a bonus and will enable a better quality of life.  Moderation is usually a good approach rather than elimination of entire categories of foods. 

#5 susanlathers

susanlathers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:50 PM

Dear Trey

It has been a  long time since I heard anything on this but what about Benzene or radiation causing CML?  Wouldn't they be irritants?

#6 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:46 AM

Those are "irritants" but no clear association with CML has been shown to exist except at high nuclear radiation exposure where many other bad things also happen.  The US National Institutes of Health only says it is "possible" there could be an occupational benzene exposure association, but they refuse to say there actually is one.  That is why I use the phrase "most of us" because there is at least some possibility that a few could develop CML that way, but no one really knows.  AML is proven to be associated with occupational benzene and other chemical exposures in some cases.

Overall the question here is whether what we eat can affect the central cause of CML (the translocation) in any significant way.  Overall diet cannot reverse the translocation or kill off leukemic cells.  But it is still a very good idea to eat well to make us as healthy as possible so the drugs can fight the disease.  I simply do not believe that total elimination of meats, eggs, milk, etc are either necessary or desirable. 

#7 gark

gark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:34 AM

Dear shelley71 I follow Dr. Mcdougall since diagnoses in '05. I cannot say it has reduced the disease burden, but has definitely kept side effects at a minimal level. I have been on 800 mg of GLEEVEC until this past August when my new onc put me down to 400mg just to experiment.  Side effects are minimal now, still eating as advised by Drs. Mcdougall and Essyltein, however my disease numbers climbed a bit. We are retesting soon.  I will say that eating well is never contraindicated, and has only kept other health factors at the upper end for me a 47 year old cancer patient: my cholesterol, heart, other blood work, and blood sugar are excellent.  I participate in running, cycling a crossfit activities, work full time at a physically demanding job that requires liftin 40-50 pound cases of produce for several hours each day.  My BMIis in the low healthy range.  Thankfully, although I have battled side effects from time to time, I am not on other medications for other health problems as well as for counteracting side effects.

I will say there is considerable evidence to show that eating whole foods, plant based is the best insurance policy for keeping your core health strong so you can fight the battle you are fighting. In many ways, despite being a cancer patient, I am so much healthier than when I ate the standard American diet, even without much junk food.  That is my experience, plus I really enjoy the food!

Good luck,

Gark

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:06 PM

Sheely71, I was recently diagnosed with CML. For the past 20 years I have eaten very healthy, whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, low fat milk, low fat cheese, and fish and chicken, and I will continue to eat this way. I worked out approximately 10 hours per week, and I have CML.  With cancer every day is special!

#9 shelley71

shelley71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

Thanks for the info guys and good luck to all of you in your treatments!

Gark, I'm curious, have you been fortunate enough to find an MD that has knowledge of or supports you in your choice of whole food, plant based diet?

#10 0vercast

0vercast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

I have no expectations of curing my CML with a healthy diet, but I'm a strong believer in a healthy, well-balanced diet, limited consumption of processed foods, LOTS of dark green veggies, moderate consumption of carbs (? 150 per day - usually in the form of whole grains, milk, and fruits), and 2-3 liters of plain water per day.

I adopted this regimen about two and a half years ago when I was feeling raggedy and fatigued prior to my CML diagnosis. I already had CML, but I didn't know it yet. I attributed my malaise to a poor diet and being 50 pounds overweight.

Honestly, I feel better now as a lean cancer patient than I did while I was cancer-free and eating junk food. That says A LOT about our diets!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users