19 replies to this topic

#1 Frogiegirl

Frogiegirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:40 PM

So everyday I notice more and more hair thinning! I was just wondering will it stop??? I've been on Tasigna 600 mg for about 4.5 months now and the hair loss has not slowed down. I've been thinking about shaving my head and just finding cute head wraps but that may be too extreme.?? I would probably cry.......ALOT I'm a girl, we tend to be connected to our hair. I always thought it symbolized health and beauty....now I just wish we were all born bald and stayed that way! NO ONE deserves to feel this way. I'm not the first and I'm sure I wont be the last Thanks for any advice

Diagnosed Oct 2013 Started 600mg of Tasigna  on Nov 4th. Lowered dose a few months later to 300mg due to side affects stayed here declining PCR until March 2015 small jump from 0.0072 to 0.0083 scarred my doc into full dose of Tasigna again 600mg(been miserable since) but reached PCRU 06/15/2015(next test) and have been there ever since. Hoping to have another little one. I have the support of my doc to go off anytime, just scared to jump. might go two years PCRU but he said it wont make much of a difference. I just figured I could possibly go into a trial while preggers if I got the two years behind me.

Nov 8th 2017 went off Tasigna

Dec 1st PCRU off TKI

Jan 5th PCR Detected .0625

Feb 1st PCR Detected .7815

Added 8-6 grams Curcumin daily in Feb

March 3rd PCR Detected 3.2646 YIKES!

stopped trying for baby after February reading. will start new TKI march 16th 2017 (Sprycel)

FYI I'm not done trying for my last little one.

#2 mariebow

mariebow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:58 PM

Sorry for the thinning of your, I think normally Tasigna does not mess with the hair, but I do not know if that is the case with every person, mine has been thinning up at the crown  of my hair, which I think is inherited because two of my aunties lost their hair also, but of late it is really thin.  Hope you find help, there are beautiful scarves, nice wigs, and there is implanting hair, which I would consider for me if it does not costs a lot and hurt a lot.

#3 Ray99

Ray99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

I have been on Tasigna 600mg for almost two years.  And my hair have been thinning noticeably on the top.  If I remember correctly, after the first year, it slowed down somewhat,  But thinning continues. My doctor told me that it is a very common side effect for Tasigna user.

#4 Frogiegirl

Frogiegirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:38 PM

Does anyone think this side affect is reason to switch from tasigna to something else?

Diagnosed Oct 2013 Started 600mg of Tasigna  on Nov 4th. Lowered dose a few months later to 300mg due to side affects stayed here declining PCR until March 2015 small jump from 0.0072 to 0.0083 scarred my doc into full dose of Tasigna again 600mg(been miserable since) but reached PCRU 06/15/2015(next test) and have been there ever since. Hoping to have another little one. I have the support of my doc to go off anytime, just scared to jump. might go two years PCRU but he said it wont make much of a difference. I just figured I could possibly go into a trial while preggers if I got the two years behind me.

Dec 1st PCRU off TKI

stopped trying for baby after February reading. will start new TKI march 16th 2017 (Sprycel)

#5 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

It is a reasonable reason.  These drugs are tools, not best friends.  Find one that works well overall.  You could always return to Tasigna later if you needed to.

#6 mariebow

mariebow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:32 PM

Really, wow

#7 KerriD

KerriD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

I take Tasigna and I had thinning hair the first year. I had longer hair at the time and went to a shorter bob haircut,  Now in year 3 my hair is almost back to normal and the bonus is I never have to shave my legs.

#8 Frogiegirl

Frogiegirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:32 AM

Hi KerriD, You just made me cry I am hoping there is hope because I am trying not to be ungrateful for the TKI's but at this stage in my life this CML teases me in a way. I wanted another child and that appears to be a problem, I'm in the prime of my life and should be looking my best and instead that has been stolen from me. I am grateful to be alive to see my two boys I just wish I had a better self esteem and didn't feel like I was just existing. if any of that makes sense also I have noticed I don't shave my legs nearly as much either. was there any vitamin or anything you did to help?

Dec 1st PCRU off TKI

#9 KerriD

KerriD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

I took Biotin and then there was an expensive shampoo I used... I cant remember the name ( another fun part of CML Brain Fog) I will look when I get home tonight...I still have some but saving it "just in case".   The Tasigna works very well for me,  the CML was undectable in my blood within 6 months of diagnoses.  I am already down to 2 blood draws a year.  

There is hope.  I always  say for me... the stress of having CML is worst side effect.  Keeping my job so I can keep my insurance... waiting on results...all the other things it brought on  I now have high cholestrol, early menopause....actually alot of menstrual related issues since the Tasigna.

BUT  I also have a different outlook on life.  I am GRATEFUL for the drugs that extend our lives and more aware of the beauty in the world.  I have 2 boys as well and I am a single mom.  My boys look out for me, tell me to go lay down when they see I am tired and understand that I need quiet for a bit and then Im ready to make dinner.  I hope that they are getting the lesson that no matter what life hands you....you have a choice on how you deal with it. 

#10 Ray99

Ray99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:10 AM

Great to hear that.  I am going into my year 3 and hopefully hair would grow back just like your did.

Thank you for sharing.

#11 Frogiegirl

Frogiegirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

I love that outlook! can I just say without grossing out the boys, I too have had menstrual issues. I thought I was losing to much the first one while I was on tasigna I was so scared! ok enough said. my boys are pretty good as well. my oldest anyway. my four yr old not so much! yes please look what kind of shampoo u were using I will try the biotin as well. did you ever have to cover your head during those times?

Dec 1st PCRU off TKI

#12 tazdad08

tazdad08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

KerriD,

your outlook on life will be an asset to your kids. I too have the same outlook. It has brought my family closer together. Good luck to EVERYONE on this blog.

Diagnosed in September 2011. Tried one year of Sprycel. Had great response. Became undetectable in a few months. Changed to Tasigna hoping for less side effects. Self medicated myself down to 20% dose and held for 3 years before becoming detectable again. It has been a journey that has helped me realize what life is about! I am all about a balanced life. I firmly agree with my decision to lower my dose. What is life if you aren't living? Mine will never be the way it was, but it is going to be as good as I can make it! Drs PRACTICE medicine, we can guide our dr to help us with a better life! Don't settle until it's acceptable to you!

#13 tazdad08

tazdad08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

I wonder if "mane and tail" shampoo will help? It is for horses, but I have heard lots of people using to make their hair grow. Just a thought...

Diagnosed in September 2011. Tried one year of Sprycel. Had great response. Became undetectable in a few months. Changed to Tasigna hoping for less side effects. Self medicated myself down to 20% dose and held for 3 years before becoming detectable again. It has been a journey that has helped me realize what life is about! I am all about a balanced life. I firmly agree with my decision to lower my dose. What is life if you aren't living? Mine will never be the way it was, but it is going to be as good as I can make it! Drs PRACTICE medicine, we can guide our dr to help us with a better life! Don't settle until it's acceptable to you!

#14 jmoorhou

jmoorhou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • LocationOutside of San Francisco

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:03 PM

Hair loss is not a risk according to many sources I have read with Gleevec

Diagnosed 3/2014 WBC 28 Non detectable within 3 monthsGleevec 400 mg 5/2014 one hour after dinner really improves nausea300 mg 12/15/2016200 mg and 300 mg Gleevec 2/25/2017 (after 3 years on Gleevec) For last four months taking 300 mg per day. Last CMC showed liver enzymes elevated, went to a good Naturopath and he recommended 4 Tumeric, 10,000 mg Vitamen D, and 3 milk thistle (silymarin) daily. Also use One<p>Day Detox Dandeloin tea, and Nettle Tea and a slice of ginger every day...in two months liver tests were below normal.Janis

#15 jmoorhou

jmoorhou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:08 PM

You have long hair if you google Godiva's wigs actually go to youtube, there is a shop that cuts your own hair and makes a wig out of it.  Get into wigs.  The owner at Godiva will convince you.  I know they seem a pain, but if you go to youtube there are woman that wear wigs all the time.  I just bought a synthetic and human hair one for $500, I went to show a friend, and she said where is it?  She didn't know I had it on.  Hope this helps I'm about to start Gleevec and am really scared about thinning hair.  You are not alone....feeling this way...

Diagnosed 3/2014 WBC 28 Non detectable within 3 monthsGleevec 400 mg 5/2014 one hour after dinner really improves nausea300 mg 12/15/2016200 mg and 300 mg Gleevec 2/25/2017 (after 3 years on Gleevec) For last four months taking 300 mg per day. Last CMC showed liver enzymes elevated, went to a good Naturopath and he recommended 4 Tumeric, 10,000 mg Vitamen D, and 3 milk thistle (silymarin) daily. Also use One<p>Day Detox Dandeloin tea, and Nettle Tea and a slice of ginger every day...in two months liver tests were below normal.Janis

#16 jmoorhou

jmoorhou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:11 PM

Not really.  There are some pretty heavy side effects associated with gleevec.

#17 KerriD

KerriD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:43 AM

The name of the shampoo is Nioxin.  It was pricey at Beauty Brands but then I actually found it at Marshalls for much less.  I hope it helps.  I think the main helper is just time..... Your body getting used to the drug.  I does get better! I promise ;-)

#18 Hokieman

Hokieman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

I also had the same effect of thinning hair with Tasigna. Fortunately, this is the only side-effect so far. Someone mentioned "Biontin" to me to improve my hair loss. Has anyone tried this?

#19 0vercast

0vercast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:40 PM

Predicting the side-effects that an individual experiences from cancer treatments is all but impossible.

Some people lose hair from Gleevec; on the contrary, some people can do 50 cycles of radiation without losing a hair.

#20 0vercast

0vercast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

While I understand your frustration, I would say that it is not reasonable to switch if that's your primary side-effect from Tasigna. At least not before giving it a year or two to see how your body responds and adjusts. Compared to the other side-effects that people experience from the various TKIs, hair loss is among the more minor ones, in my opinion. It could be a whole lot worse. Chronic diarrhea, bone aches, or life-changing fatigue, for example. I am a male though, so I have a different perspective on the matter of hair loss.

I experienced some hair issues from both Gleevec and Sprycel. On Gleevec, my hair was bone dry and grew very slowly, and on Sprycel, it fell out by the handful for the first couple months. It has since slowed, but it's not like it used to be.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users