5 replies to this topic

#1 thomaskk

thomaskk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:34 AM

Hi

Any one has latest update on this break through trails .

Please Google for "cd 47 stanford medical " for details. One drug for all kind of cancers . Amazing ....

Thomas

#2 thomaskk

thomaskk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:41 AM

For more details

http://med.stanford....3/may/cd47.html

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:54 AM

While all cancer cells have a large amount of CD47 antibody, so do many good cells.  If T-cells are trained to attack the CD47 antibody, you are training them to attack "self", so there could be major damage to the body.  CD47 is in fact a protective antibody that prevents autoimmune diseases and protects certain cell lines.  The problem will be only attacking the cancer cells, or at least only additionally attacking certain good cells that make the therapy bearable without debilitating side effects.  My personal opinion without the benefit of any clinical trial data is that this will likely not work since it would wipe out too many good cells, including possibly the entire red blood cell line which is very dependent on CD47 during cell development. 

This is the age-old issue with cancer, how to kill cancer cells but leave good cells alone, since cancer is part of "self" and not an invader.  There are numerous treatments that can eliminate the cancer in a person, but not without also eliminating the person.  Additionally, cancer is not a singular entity which would enable a "one size fits all" cure.  Cures will come in  compartments.

Updates on the CD47 research are posted at this link if you wish to follow progress:

http://stemcell.stanford.edu/CD47/

#4 thomaskk

thomaskk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:07 AM

Thanks . Please see the link below along with the interviews. Researchers are hopeful to over come the toxicity related issues

http://www.naturewor...ests-video.html

Thomas

#5 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

We shall see.  Researchers are always hopeful, otherwise they would not be researchers.  But they are also usually wrong about " major breakthroughs".  Not trying to dampen enthusiasm, but I deal in reality.

#6 thomaskk

thomaskk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

Trey,

It seems the inhibitor will not inhibit CD 47 universally.  They have identified a protin which stamp ' do not eat me ' stamp  on lukeimia stem cells.

I am hopeful this can be at least be another option for cml suffered. .

I was reading about Brg1. Does CML has Brg1 gene ...?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users