• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thomaskk

thomaskk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:23 PM

I am starting a daily dose of 4000 mg curcumin along with Gleevec today . Has only one tried this before ?

Thomas

#2 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:37 PM

Yes...I have.

But, 4000mg is not sufficient. 8000 mg is the minimum per day.

Diagnosed 11 May 2011 (100% FiSH, 155% PCR)

with b2a2 BCR-ABL fusion transcript coding for the 210kDa BCR-ABL protein

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

6-8 grams Curcumin C3 complex.

2015 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

2016 PCR: < 0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale) 

March        2017 PCR:     0.01% (M.D. Anderson scale)

June          2017 PCR:     "undetected"

September 2017 PCR:     "undetected"

#3 thomaskk

thomaskk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:17 AM

Thanks.  I have started with 1000 mg × 3 per day curcumin along with imatinib 400 mg. My first 3 months pcr result was .876% IS. I want to reach MMR safely. I have read an article by Dr crotes that if you have achieved more than 2 log reduction with gleevec in first 3 months your chances of reaching MMR is 100%. It is a great reassurance.

Do you expect any curcumin - gleevic interaction which may affect the treatment negatively ?

Thomas

#4 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:18 AM

Thomas - As Trey pointed out in another post, you are doing very well. You have responded quickly to Gleevec after only a few months.

You will likely achieve MMR faster than normal and I would wager you become PCRU in less than a year. It will take a year or so for you to believe this (i.e. nothing to worry about), but CML will fade as a big worry.

I would not expect any interaction between Gleevec and Curcumin and it is quike possible that Curcumin could enhance the drugs effect (http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19378338).

In the case of Srycel, another TKI, Curcumin is scientifically documented to enhance Spyrcel's effect (in Colon cancer).

Dr. Aggarwal, Ph.D. researcher at M.D. Anderson wrote me that in his and other studies, Curcumin was effective in killing cancer cells at blood levels achieved when a minimum 8 grams was taken. Curcumin has low bioavailability and that is the reason such a large amount is needed. When I take less Curcumin, my PCR numbers have gone up. Correlation was 100% in this (but not scientific).

By the way, Curcumin down regulates Nf-KB which is necessary for CML to grow (http://www.ncbi.nlm....bmed/19723087).

Sprycel: 20 mg per day - taken at lights out with Quercetin and/or Magnesium Taurate

#5 Nili_7783

Nili_7783

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

Hi Scuba/Thomas Where to buy (which brand)  best Curcumin from? which one do you buy?

#6 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

Thomas,

Not to rain on your parade but I did try curcumin by starting at 4,000 mg. per day thinking to work my way up. I was on Sprycel 100 mg. at the time. In less than a week I experienced a huge, painful eye bleed. Had only experienced that once before when I'd started on Gleevec 3 or so years before. My onc asked me if I thought it was because of the curcumin and I did, so I stopped taking it. I'm sure you know that it has blood thinning properties.

Hope it works better for you.

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#7 scuba

scuba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:11 PM

Hi Pat,

There certainly could be a connection:

http://www.peoplesph...nt-blood-clots/

Although it is described as a potential issue for those who take other anti-coagulants at the same time (such as Aspirin).

I take 8+ grams every day and have been doing so for several years now. I have no such issues. But then I don't take other blood thinners and my family has no history of "bleeds". I don't bruise easily, for example, where my wife does bruise easily (bumping into a sharp corner for example). She takes Curcumin sporadically and at a much lower dose (1-2 grams) when she does. I am religious about taking it since I believe it augments my 20mg Sprycel into being more effective, but that's just me.

Let us know if you develop an eye bleed again now that you are off Curcumin. You may just be susceptible to eye bleeds and Curcumin is something you should stay away from using anyway.

On a side note - my family does have a history of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, stroke, heart disease. It's definitely related to my family's diet (high sugar) and "thick" blood. For me, having something thin my blood is probably a good thing. I would have considered a daily aspirin as a heart/stroke risk reducer if I wasn't taking Curcumin.

#8 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:46 AM

Hi, Scuba,

Went back to look at my earlier post on this and saw it was in the summer of last year and I was only taking 2 g. hoping to work up. My initial reason was for hip pain. Got the eye bleed withn 2 weeks. Have only had 2 of them in over 5 years. My blood pressure is pretty good, 120/60 and my lipids are great. I have always bruised easily.  I remember as a kid my Mom would lightly poke my bruises and ask me if they hurt. In retrospect, I think it was because of a concern about childhood leukemia.

The irony is not lost on me.

I do try to control my sugar intake, with varying degrees of success, as I think sugar is far more damaging to our health than fats.

Anyway, glad it continues to work for you. I've been on Sprycel 50 mg. for almost 3 years now since my PE. So far, so good; holding at .02!

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#9 simone4

simone4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:32 AM

Pat, I wish I could just STAY at .02 instead of this going in and out of PCRU.  My QPCR

in July 2013 and Sept 2013 were undectable after a scare last April of 1 log increase.

In January 2014 is was .02 and we will draw again in May.  Slow but steady is better

any day than this up and down. 

I have had too, too much coffee (Costa Rico) this morning. (These beans came from

the trees to me, almost).  I have a friend that has a coffee farm there.

Take care to all

Simone

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users