• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BPilgrim

BPilgrim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:03 AM

Does anyone on Gleevec also take a baby asprin each day?  I've been considering it, but see that asprin is on the interaction list.  Not sure if it is a serious interaction though.

#2 Rissa

Rissa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

I take alka seltzer plus almost every day for sinus issues.  It has aspirin in it and I haven't had any bad reactions.  What does your doctor say?  Not that they know everything.............

#3 Ray99

Ray99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

I was considering doing the same and asked my doctor about it.  He said it is not a problem.  I have not started yet and want to do more checking about it.  I want to take it because of its health benefit.  But it is a blood thinner; not sure it is good for us.

Have anyone on TKI taking baby aspirin? 

#4 Antilogical

Antilogical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

I am taking Gleevec, and both my hematologist and my family doctor approve of me taking a baby aspirin daily.

Dx: Sudden severe anemia detected 07/2011, followed by WBC spike. CML Dx 02/2012.

Rx: 03/2012-Gleevec400.  Reduced 02/2013 to Gleevec300 due to side effects (low blood counts).

Response: PCR-Und within 7 mo. on G400. Maintained MMR4-MMR4.5 on G300. PCR-Und since 02/2016.

#5 Lizzybee

Lizzybee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:12 PM

TKIs can increase the risk of bleeding, aspirin increases the risk of bleeding.  One of the instructions I was given when I started tasigna was not to take motrin, for the same reason.  My onc's office uses pediatric needles for blood draws, but when I get stuck with a regular needle, I sometimes bleed for hours.  So I am pretty careful about not taking anything that is known to thin the blood.

#6 LLawrence

LLawrence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:28 PM

I am on Tasigna and am also taking a daily aspirin (325, not low dose) due to a stroke long prior to CML.  I would check with your doc.  My counts are normal now (platelets at a million at diagnosis) as are my clotting factors. My Onc concurs with the daily aspirin, but then again, I've had no bleeding problems with it or my tki.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users