LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

Hi everyone,

I am looking at the potential of some international travel from the USA to India this year for work.  Have any of you made trips like this with chronic phase CML, and was it safe for you to get all of the recommended vaccines for such a trip?  I have never traveled to that part of the world, so I'm sure I would need to consider most or all of the CDC's recommended traveler vaccinations.  I'm on Gleevec 400mg and my CBC reflects safe numbers for WBC, etc. that are either in the normal range or close, so I don't think that I'd be at any greater risk of illness than someone without CML.  It's all of the vaccines that concern me & potential reactions with either Gleevec or my residual CML (stable MMR ~ 3.5 log reduction last reported in Oct 2013).

Any experiences and advice would be really helpful.  Thanks!

Dan - Atlanta, GA

CML CP Diagnosed March 2011

Gleevec 400mg

#2 tiouki

tiouki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

Hello !

I was diagnosed with CML more than 2 years ago and I am on 100mg sprycel, and I had no issue to travel and do the vaccines (I went to Uganda and Brazil). I had asked my doctor first and he said there is no contraindication to do the vaccines.

Have a nice trip!
Pierre

#3 Tom1278

Tom1278

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

I asked my doctor the same question at my last visit as I may go to Africa this summer.  She said I'm not immuno-compromised and can get any vaccine.  I've had a CCyR but not MMR.

Tom

Diagnosed with CML in July 2012 (33 years old)

MMR since March 2015; E453K mutation

600mg Gleevec

#4 Antilogical

Antilogical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

No issues, here.  I'm on Gleevec, and in addition to the standard vaccines & boosters (DPT, flu, pneumonia, shingles, etc.), I got the rabies pre-exposure shots (I volunteer at a wildlife rehab facility), and my titers indicate that the vaccine is still at a protective level.

Dx: Sudden severe anemia detected 07/2011, followed by WBC spike. CML Dx 02/2012.

Rx: 03/2012-Gleevec400.  Reduced 02/2013 to Gleevec300 due to side effects (low blood counts).

Response: PCR-Und within 7 mo. on G400. Maintained MMR4-MMR4.5 on G300. PCR-Und since 02/2016.

#5 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

This is very good to hear.  Thank you for your feedback, everyone!

Dan - Atlanta, GA

Gleevec 400mg

#6 Mayra

Mayra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:47 AM

Dan,

Not sure what's required for travel to India but, here is a list with an explanation from the National CML Society:

http://www.nationalc...q/immunizations

Hope it helps!

#7 August1

August1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:43 AM

Hi Dan,

I've only had Flu vaccine and, just to be safe, they recommended getting the shot as it does not contain an attenuated (weakened) virus. But if your blood counts are good and you're not immunocompromised seems like you should be good to go.

Hope you have a great trip and watch out for the Delhi Belly!

Bill

#8 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:23 PM

Yes, very helpful - thank you!  Interesting about the MMR shot - that is definitely a smart one to get, but I guess it carries some risk for CML patients.  However, I don't see how elements of a live virus could present any additional risk if the CML patient is stable, has good counts and whose immunity isn't suppressed.

Not sure if/when I might be going, but I've got the all clear from the doc.

Dan - Atlanta, GA

Gleevec 400mg

#9 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

I traveled to India several times since diagnosis.

I chose not to take the Malaria medicine for several reasons. First- I figured that my liver was under assault enough from the Gleevec. The ex-pats that are relocated to India do not stay on the malaria meds because it would burn out their liver.  Second- the medicine makes you feel like crap anyway. I think half the folks that get sick from India are predisposed to feeling sick from the Malaria meds. (Not to minimize the number of people who got really sick from being in India. Nothing like a 10+ hour plane ride home trying to decide if you should puke first or empty the diarrhea first. Solution- sit on the toilet and puke in the sink! I had a 48 hour and 24 hour rule. For 48 hours before departure nothing but very hot food from a high quality restaurant and only beer to drink. 24 hours- only prepackaged food that I brought with me.)

I always came home with a serious sinus infection. I believe it was a consequence of the crappy air quality in India coupled with the irritation of that long plane ride home.

I used to think that everybody should go to India so that you appreciate that no matter how crappy it gets here, at least you are not there. I have lightened up on that, it is cruel to encourage people to go there.

#10 thomaskk

thomaskk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:38 PM

Hi

Dan

How are you doing ? I understated that you are planning to come down to India. I live in India and should you require any assistance do let me know . I am a newly diagnosed CML patient , still in panic stage

Regards

thomas

#11 LivingWellWithCML

LivingWellWithCML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

Not sure if I'm making the trip yet, but we'll see.  Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but don't panic!  CML is a treatable condition and the majority of us respond very well and are able to move on with life.  Keep us posted on how you're doing, and ask questions -- this group knows more about CML that some oncologists.

Dan - Atlanta, GA

Gleevec 400mg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users