11 replies to this topic

#1 JoeyJoeJoe

JoeyJoeJoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:50 PM

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, as I have just joined this group.  I have had CML since early 2011 and have thankfully been in remission after about six months.  In the past I have had fogginess, and different occasions where I was someplace and started to feel very foggy, get the feeling like I need to lay down, one time I was about 30 miles from home, parked for a minute, got a hit of adrenaline, started sweating and was able to make it home.  This has happened to me at other times where I was out to a sporting event and needed to turn around and go home.  It has happened a little more recently and I've had times where I felt like I was going to pass out and then I start sweating and it goes away, but I get nervous and end up leaving work early.  Has anyone else had this?, and what have you done to help.  I have in the past drank ginger root tea to help with the nausea and to get through the more nauseous times.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

Hi:  Glad you joined the group.  This is what it is all about.  We are all on different TKI drugs for or CML, and some people do get side effects.  You did not mention what your taking for your CML.  I am on Gleevec, and I have had episodes of dizziness.  It does not last long, but I have had it well driving a few times.

Its hard to tell what our drugs actually do to us, because there could be a lot of other health issues that cause some of the things we get.  You could possibly be having panic attacks with the symptoms you describe.

If it continues ask your doctor.  We just share all our experiences on here, and sometimes others have the same symptoms that we do on a certain TKI drug, and will give advice on what they did to help the problem.

Just join in here anytime and you can ask anything and share your experiences like you just did.

I hope you do not have too many of these episodes.

Susan

#3 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:40 PM

Welcome! What you described does sound like an anxiety or even a panic attack. However, it could also be just about anything, including an effect from your TKI. Have you mentioned it to your GP or Onc? It's always a good idea, because as Susan said, we get a lot of different side effects from our meds, but that doesn't mean everything we experience is a side effect.

Chemo brain, or mental fogginess happens to many of us. I'm just not sure about the physical "foggy" manifestations you are referring to.

Anyway, I'm glad you found us and I'm sure someone else will chime in with their experiences!

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#4 Tex

Tex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts
  • LocationFront Range of the Rockies, Colorado

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

I can't comment on this from a CML perspective as I was an AML patient.  From outside looking in, I'd also want to consider BP.  How long does the dizziness last?  Low BP would only last some few seconds and you'd feel mostly back to yourself after that.  So, from what you've written, it doesn't sound like what I'm thinking of.  Still, wanted to put it there in case it was an overlooked possibility.

I hope you find your fix soon.

Blessings

#5 JoeyJoeJoe

JoeyJoeJoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

Hello.  Thanks for everyones replies.  I take Sprycel 100mg.  It may be at least partly anxiety.  I have also had C-Diff twice in the last two years, so like you said it's hard to know exactly what causes things. 

#6 Frogiegirl

Frogiegirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

Hi! I was diagnosed less than 3 months ago and experience the fogginess as well. Its kind of embarrassing ill be in mid sentence and forget where I was going with the conversation. Also If I think about the fact that I have cancer for to long I start to panic, and get really upset. I have been given adavan for that so I can take it as needed. That seems to help. The feeling of being overwhelmed with the realization of our diagnosis can literally make the body sick. I hope you get some relief soon:)  Thanks for posting:)

Diagnosed Oct 2013 Started 600mg of Tasigna  on Nov 4th. Lowered dose a few months later to 300mg due to side affects stayed here declining PCR until March 2015 small jump from 0.0072 to 0.0083 scarred my doc into full dose of Tasigna again 600mg(been miserable since) but reached PCRU 06/15/2015(next test) and have been there ever since. Hoping to have another little one. I have the support of my doc to go off anytime, just scared to jump. might go two years PCRU but he said it wont make much of a difference. I just figured I could possibly go into a trial while preggers if I got the two years behind me.

Nov 8th 2017 went off Tasigna

Dec 1st PCRU off TKI

Jan 5th PCR Detected .0625

Feb 1st PCR Detected .7815

Added 8-6 grams Curcumin daily in Feb

March 3rd PCR Detected 3.2646 YIKES!

stopped trying for baby after February reading. will start new TKI march 16th 2017 (Sprycel)

FYI I'm not done trying for my last little one.

#7 lundgrk1

lundgrk1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:21 PM

I can relate.  I was diagnosed with ALL on December 1st and just finished cycle 1 of my Hyper-CVAD few days ago so its affecting me quite a bit right now.  I hope it gets better.  I know it will in time but it sucks feeling so foggy right now.

Ken

http://kenlundgreen.com

#8 Buzzm1

Buzzm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:10 AM

Issues with fogginess, etc

Re: [Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia] - why are we sooooo tired?

calling me ... the timing was close to perfect

My Dr. has told me more than once, that had I been diagnosed later than 10/2009, or if Gleevec fails, I would be prescribed one of the newer medications that are perhaps slightly more effective .. my only thought was "What? and have to go through a whole new set of side-effects"  none of them are any fun.

... and in other news, TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY ...

Buzz

For the benefit of yourself and others please add your CML history into your Signature

02/2010 Gleevec 400mg

2011 Two weakly positives, PCRU, weakly positive

2012 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, PCRU

2013 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, weakly positive

2014 PCRU, PCRU, PCRU, PCRU (12/07 began dose reduction w/each continuing PCRU)

2015 300, 250, 200, 150

2016 100, 50/100, 100, 10/17 TFR

2017 01/17 TFR, 04/18 TFR, 07/18 TFR 0.0012, 08/29 TFR 0.001, 10/17 TFR 0.000

2018 01/16 TFR 0.0004 ... next quarterly PCR 04/17

At the earliest opportunity, and whenever possible, lower your TKI dosage; TKIs are toxic drugs and the less we take longterm the better off we are going to be ... this is especially true for older adults.  

In hindsight I should have started my dosage reduction two years earlier; it might have helped minimize some of the longterm cumulative toxic effects of TKIs that I am beset with.  

longterm side-effects Peripheral Artery Disease - legs (it's a bitch); continuing shoulder problems, right elbow inflammation.   GFR and creatinine vastly improved after stopping Gleevec.

Cumulative Gleevec dosage estimated at 830 grams

Taking Gleevec 400mg an hour after my largest meal of the day helped eliminate the nausea that Gleevec is notorious for.  

Trey's CML BlogStopping - The OddsStop Studies - Discussion Forum Cessation Study

Big PhRMA - Medicare Status - Social Security Status - Deficit/Debt

#9 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

Happy Birthday! Understand exactly what you are saying about not wanting to tackle a whole new set of side effects!

Pat

Pat

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#10 Buzzm1

Buzzm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

thanks Pat, I'm sure that most of us all feel that same way ... one bridge at a time ...

I am in the process of developing the world's largest blog, and one of the sub-issues of healthcare is the price of Rx drugs.

my own experience

Gleevec 400mg 30-day Rx Price (in round numbers)

10/2009 $3900

02/2010 $4300

06/2013 $6900

12/2013 $7500

and the newer CML meds are even more expensive

the practice of ever-greening drug patents needs to end ...

Medicare patients are being charged the highest Rx drug prices in the world.

Gleevec Price/Mo:     Worldwide $559.82

For the benefit of yourself and others please add your CML history into your Signature

02/2010 Gleevec 400mg

2015 300, 250, 200, 150

At the earliest opportunity, and whenever possible, lower your TKI dosage; TKIs are toxic drugs and the less we take longterm the better off we are going to be ... this is especially true for older adults.  

In hindsight I should have started my dosage reduction two years earlier; it might have helped minimize some of the longterm cumulative toxic effects of TKIs that I am beset with.  

longterm side-effects Peripheral Artery Disease - legs (it's a bitch); continuing shoulder problems, right elbow inflammation.   GFR and creatinine vastly improved after stopping Gleevec.

Taking Gleevec 400mg an hour after my largest meal of the day helped eliminate the nausea that Gleevec is notorious for.  

Trey's CML BlogStopping - The OddsStop Studies - Discussion Forum Cessation Study

#11 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:03 AM

The continually increasing cost of Gleevec was mentioned in an article or book that I've read recently on CML but there have been so many I can't remember which. The idea though was that when Gleevec was first offered, the cost was intended to be enough to cover the R&D, manufacturuing, advertising, etc. over a period of a few years and at that point the drug would have paid for itself. So why then, has it escalated 300% in the intervenening years? The answer can be nothing more than greed.

Pat

Found it!  http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

Pat

#12 Buzzm1

Buzzm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:40 PM

Thanks for the article Pat ... added it to "fixing healthcare, first things first" .. addressing 5 primary cost factors:
Fraud, Tort, Billing, Insurance, and Drug Prices

Who Spends The Most Dollars Lobbying Washington, DC?

http://www.zerohedge...g-washington-dc

02/2010 Gleevec 400mg

2015 300, 250, 200, 150

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users