#1 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:56 AM

What possessed me to agree to a Dec. 24 over night delivery date for my Sprycel is beyond me! But I did and it didn't - get delivered. I called the specialty pharmacy and talked to the on-call tech. She tried to be as helpful as she could be but she didn't have access to any tracking abilities for the shipment. The pharmacy could only tell her that it had been prepared for shipment and was gone. Her supervisor, who did have tracking capabilities, was not available by phone.

I called the local UPS and was told the only delivery to City Hall on the manifest for that day was not mine and without a tracking number they couldn't help me any further either.

My dilemma - do I refuse delivery today as I doubt that UPS trucks are parked in a heat controlled building between "20° to 25°C (68° to 77°F) with excursions permitted between 15°-30°C (59°-86°F) [see USP Controlled Room Temperature]." ? This is what I told the pharmacy I would do.

I've heard what can happen to the pills in extreme heat; what about sub-zero temps?

The specialty pharmacy is only 2 hours from me in Mpls. I could have driven up there for less hassle than this. The icing on the cake is next week we switch back to Wellmark BC/BS so I get to go through the joy of setting everything up all over again with a new specialty pharmacy!

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#2 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:18 AM

The cold will not harm the drug.

#3 Ludwigh

Ludwigh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

I was curious about this as well. I had my latest shipment of Sprycel exposed for 2 hours to probably 25-30 degrees Fahreneit. So, no worries?

#4 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

All drugs say "keep from freezing", but stable dry pills are not easily affected by short term low temperatures.  Extreme heat is much worse than cold.  I would not worry about it.  The only option is to never ship any drugs, summer or winter, and that is not a very good option for many patients.

#5 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:35 AM

Thanks, Trey. After talking to the pharmacist who had called BMS I was essentially told the same thing. I was interested to hear that capsules are another matter - some are very suseptible to freezing.

Anyway, all is good - pills are safely delivered and in the pantry.

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users