Photo

How many on here work in the automotive field?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tazdad08

tazdad08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:33 PM

I have heard that there is a large percentage of people with CML that have been in the automotive industry. Just wondering if there is any truth to this.

Diagnosed in September 2011. Tried one year of Sprycel. Had great response. Became undetectable in a few months. Changed to Tasigna hoping for less side effects. Self medicated myself down to 20% dose and held for 3 years before becoming detectable again. It has been a journey that has helped me realize what life is about! I am all about a balanced life. I firmly agree with my decision to lower my dose. What is life if you aren't living? Mine will never be the way it was, but it is going to be as good as I can make it! Drs PRACTICE medicine, we can guide our dr to help us with a better life! Don't settle until it's acceptable to you!

#2 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:16 PM

Not me. . .I'm a teacher.

#3 Floa7

Floa7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Locationindiana

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

My Late Husband retired with 30 years from Cummins Engine. He passed away 4 years ago from stage 3 colon cancer. My son that has CML, for 2 yrs, worked in automotive factory. I also got diagnosed with CML 2 yrs ago. I always wondered what those stinky greasy clothes that I laundered, from both of them was our culprit. But then the 16 yr old boy next door  was diagnosed 6 months after me with CML. Then the 78yr old was diagnosed with CML and lived one week, that's 5 houses from mine. So whats in our well water from those factories? What was sprayed on the farm fields?

the 16 yr old never smoked cigarettes, the 78 yr old was a deacon of a church.

The chemo that my hubby took, had to flush the toilet twice after him. That chemo went into my septic tank, Did that filter back into the well water? If he had missed the toilet I had a full suit to put on to clean it up and put into a special bag and call the environmentalists to pick it up to dispose of it. Just lucky for me that never happened.....

1 2012 CML detected Started Gleevec 400 mg

In nov 2014 my pcr started to rise by Feb I stopped Gleevec and went onto

2 2015 Tasigna 600 mg/day

I have been PCRU for 2 years and stopped Tasigna 4 7 2017

5 8 2017 results 0.008

5 30 2017 results 0.028 

6 30 2017 results 0.3, I have restarted the Tasigna because it went above 0.1 

My son

11 2011 CML detected Started Gleevec 400 mg

He went 2 1/2 years on gleevec and lost PCRU

Started Sprycel went PCRU for 2 years and stopped the Sprycel, went back for 3 month checkup and PCR was 8.0

He went back onto Sprycel and now is PCRU again

3 16 2017 results 0.008

6 1 2017 results 0.002

#4 mikefromillinois

mikefromillinois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

Not sure how to run a "search" here but we had a similar thread a while back.  Myself - in my 60s now, diagnosed with CML a couple years ago.  When in my 20's I worked for a car dealer for about 10 years in the service department (around exhaust fumes, oils, solvents, and so on).

#5 tazdad08

tazdad08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:05 AM

wow, that's crazy. I have never been a "health nut", but I do believe that chemicals are causing a lot of our health issues. CML is not that common. Its enough to make people scared when there are that many cases that close together.  

Diagnosed in September 2011. Tried one year of Sprycel. Had great response. Became undetectable in a few months. Changed to Tasigna hoping for less side effects. Self medicated myself down to 20% dose and held for 3 years before becoming detectable again. It has been a journey that has helped me realize what life is about! I am all about a balanced life. I firmly agree with my decision to lower my dose. What is life if you aren't living? Mine will never be the way it was, but it is going to be as good as I can make it! Drs PRACTICE medicine, we can guide our dr to help us with a better life! Don't settle until it's acceptable to you!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users