Photo

Has anyone ever been given morphine & adavan for a BMB?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Tex

Tex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts
  • LocationFront Range of the Rockies, Colorado

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

The thing is that everyone experiences BMB pain differently.  Some people breeze through them while other do require sedation and/or pain relief.  That one person can handle it with lidocaine doesn't imply that everyone can. 

If I were to say, I've never heard of morphine coming close to making someone crap their pants and it's effective so everyone ought to have it, you'd probably have a response.  In a like way. someone who felt as if they were having their soul sucked out of them through their ass might look at your suggestion that lidocaine is a plenty as being the talk of a crazy person.   It's all experience and perspective.  I'm one who feels like they're sucking out my soul and it's incredibly painful.  I've had about 17 of the things and no one's coming near me with that drill unless I'm feeling no pain.  I would honestly hurt somebody.

#22 mariebow

mariebow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:37 PM

Well said,Tex.  

#23 0vercast

0vercast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:57 PM

I didn't feel that the morphine was nearly as effective as direct application of a local anesthetic (lidocaine) into the site of the BMB. Morphine seems to works best on soft-tissue pain and did very little for the bone pain, for me at least. The first one was the most painful BMB I've had by far, and I was heavily doped up. That would be my experience and perspective.

#24 Frogiegirl

Frogiegirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

Ok now I'm scurred I really was hoping it would have an "out of it" effect. So I would not remember it or know what was going on while they were doing it. I was NOT built for cancer. I'm a serious naughty mouth cry baby. I have no idea how I made it through delivering my two boys! I guess it was knowing the prize at the end(baby) I wonder if I should push the issue of being completely sedated? when I mentioned that to the doctors nurse she said there really is no need for that.......Says non- scared cancer patient I know they do these day in and day out but I am not just part of the "HERD" I'm a nervous nelly....scared sissy you know all those weak terms hahahaha!

Diagnosed Oct 2013 Started 600mg of Tasigna  on Nov 4th. Lowered dose a few months later to 300mg due to side affects stayed here declining PCR until March 2015 small jump from 0.0072 to 0.0083 scarred my doc into full dose of Tasigna again 600mg(been miserable since) but reached PCRU 06/15/2015(next test) and have been there ever since. Hoping to have another little one. I have the support of my doc to go off anytime, just scared to jump. might go two years PCRU but he said it wont make much of a difference. I just figured I could possibly go into a trial while preggers if I got the two years behind me.

Nov 8th 2017 went off Tasigna

Dec 1st PCRU off TKI

Jan 5th PCR Detected .0625

Feb 1st PCR Detected .7815

Added 8-6 grams Curcumin daily in Feb

March 3rd PCR Detected 3.2646 YIKES!

stopped trying for baby after February reading. will start new TKI march 16th 2017 (Sprycel)

FYI I'm not done trying for my last little one.

#25 mariebow

mariebow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:01 PM

I had my BMB two weeks after my visit to the dr and he told me that It was leukemia,but did not know which one.  He asked me when did I want to have it and knowing that I was not ready,because I heard how painful it was, he said that he will give me two weeks.

#26 0vercast

0vercast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

Bone marrow biopsies are no fun; that's not open for debate. I have another one in a couple of weeks, and I'm not looking forward to it one bit. I expect a few minutes of severe pain; followed by a few days of moderate back ache and reduced activity; a couple dozen Tylenols (no more than 4000mg/day MAX); and a few rotations with the heating-pad and ice pack to promote tissue regeneration and reduce inflammation. After that...life goes on.

BMBs are an unwelcome part of our lives now. We can't change that. However, they're not as bad as some people make them out to be, and that's not helping anybody, especially when it's posted on the Internet for any Joe or Jane to stress about weeks in advance. Honestly, they're no worse than getting a cavity filled. If you can manage that without opiate painkillers and without months of stressful anticipation, you'll be fine with a BMB. Like I said, they get easier each and every time, once you know what to expect. Furthermore, considering you've had two babies, I imagine they'll be a cinch in comparison. Don't be scurred. You gotta do what ya gotta do.

Joe

#27 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:46 AM

IMHO, and let's face it, just about everything that anyone posts on here is our own opinion (except for Trey, who seems to have a direct connection to all knowledge from everywhere at anytime) I will never have a BMB without concious sedation. On the other hand, I've never had one any other way so I have no idea what it would be like. I don't care to find out! Just like I don't care to find out what it feels like to be hit by a car, bitten by a rattlesnake, in a plane crash - you get the idea.

There are too many variables, mental health on the day, ability of the technician, number of WBCs coursing through your bloodstream, etc., etc. I hope never to have another (I've only had 2 in 5 years) but I do know if I have to have another it will be done as I want it and not for the convenience of the institution or the physician. I've nothing to prove to anyone about my toughness, I've given birth to two children at home without anything but a leather strap to chew on (kidding about the strap). I've no doubt I can handle it, but it all comes down to why should I have to?

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#28 Tex

Tex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:38 PM

Actually, they do keep you sedated as opposed to knocked out because they might need you to do something which is easier if you can do it on your own.  I can't think of any adjustment they've ever needed me to make, but I was kinda stoned at the time or completely out of it.  (Versed leaves you no memory of the procedure which equals out to no pain.  The downside is that you're pretty much done for the day.) 

Still, you might ask about conscious sedation,  They usually give you a little Demerol to ease the pain but the pain becomes a non-factor.  The only problem is you need to be well monitored so it's not something that's going to be easy to administer in most doctor's offices.  They do have a new med that's going to replace Versed (I think) but it actually requires an anesthesiologist.

Another approach might be to focus on this prize.  Life with babies.  Life.  That can be one heckuva motivator.

This is one of those things that each person experiences differently.  You'll know a lot more in a few days.

Blessings

#29 Tex

Tex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

hannibellemo wrote:

it all comes down to why should I have to?

And that's a great question.

#30 Tex

Tex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

0vercast wrote:

Bone marrow biopsies are no fun; that's not open for debate.

Oh, anything's open to debate.  I, apparently, had a blast during the one where they gave me Dilaudid.  I was in a room full of women, my wife was in the waiting room.  I have no idea what I said or did but when the nurse delivered me to my wife, the office was full of feminine laughter.  I don't know why but I couldn't look my doc in the eye for the next couple of appointments.

So it seems to me even BMB's can be fun with the right audience.  You're right, though, they're not usually fun.  My only concern is that you seem to be  saying your experience is what everyone will experience.  It's not.  I'm fine with the drilling, I'm fine with them getting through the bone.  I'm finw with the exit and bandaging.  I don't even have discomfort beyond a little itching over the following days.  However, when they draw the aspirate, it really does feel as if they're sucking my soul out of me.  It's brief but I did that once.  I wasn't going to do it 17 times. 

I think it's great that you don't have pain during the procedure.  But everyone else is not you.  Some folks will do great others will be miserable.  WTH difference does it make what choices someone else makes about their prep for a very scary procedure?  It doesn't affect your life or mine what frogiegirl decides to do.  So let's leave it to her.

#31 Tex

Tex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

You've got a really nice doc, Marie.

#32 tazdad08

tazdad08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

I had a bmb done a little over a year ago. I was told by the onc that it hurt like hell..... I was soooo glad to know that it doesnt always hurt. I was given a local anesthesia. The nurse was too close to the edge of the bone and couldn't pull any marrow. the second stick worked... It honestly did not hurt at all... I enjoyed the rest of the day off work. You will find that the amount of people that say it hurt is about equal to the amount that had no trouble at all. Good luck, and relax

Diagnosed in September 2011. Tried one year of Sprycel. Had great response. Became undetectable in a few months. Changed to Tasigna hoping for less side effects. Self medicated myself down to 20% dose and held for 3 years before becoming detectable again. It has been a journey that has helped me realize what life is about! I am all about a balanced life. I firmly agree with my decision to lower my dose. What is life if you aren't living? Mine will never be the way it was, but it is going to be as good as I can make it! Drs PRACTICE medicine, we can guide our dr to help us with a better life! Don't settle until it's acceptable to you!

#33 Tex

Tex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

tazdad08 wrote:

You will find that the amount of people that say it hurt is about equal to the amount that had no trouble at all.

Which is why I wish I'd worked backwards starting with a mild sedation like this.  If you're one of the half that it hurts, why go through that?  If you're not, you can scale down on the meds and/or eliminate them altogether.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users