Photo

Has anyone ever been given morphine & adavan for a BMB?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Frogiegirl

Frogiegirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

Hi! I have an upcoming BMB and it will only be my second one. VERY VERY nervous! I had a local novacain right before in the area of BMB but it was not very tolerable for me to say the least.....apparently I called the doc a naughty name...in front of my mom. OOOOOPPS! They told me I would be receiving morphine and adavan for the next BMB but I have never had morphine. I wish they would just knock me out. at least then they could avoid my loud name calling  They said I will be receiving several BMB's and I need to get use to it??? really???? well get use to the name calling then!  they said ill get one every three months into two years of treatment. Just wondering if anyone has ever had morphine and what I can expect. I may need to bring some dish detergent for my naughties when they are done

Diagnosed Oct 2013 Started 600mg of Tasigna  on Nov 4th. Lowered dose a few months later to 300mg due to side affects stayed here declining PCR until March 2015 small jump from 0.0072 to 0.0083 scarred my doc into full dose of Tasigna again 600mg(been miserable since) but reached PCRU 06/15/2015(next test) and have been there ever since. Hoping to have another little one. I have the support of my doc to go off anytime, just scared to jump. might go two years PCRU but he said it wont make much of a difference. I just figured I could possibly go into a trial while preggers if I got the two years behind me.

Nov 8th 2017 went off Tasigna

Dec 1st PCRU off TKI

Jan 5th PCR Detected .0625

Feb 1st PCR Detected .7815

Added 8-6 grams Curcumin daily in Feb

March 3rd PCR Detected 3.2646 YIKES!

stopped trying for baby after February reading. will start new TKI march 16th 2017 (Sprycel)

FYI I'm not done trying for my last little one.

#2 Tex

Tex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts
  • LocationFront Range of the Rockies, Colorado

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:17 PM

Yep!  I've also done it with Dilaudid and Ativan before, too.  Versed is better but there are times and reasons when they can't do it safely so they go for other meds.  You should be fine.

#3 mariebow

mariebow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:09 PM

Hi Frogiegirl, I can definetly sympathize with you on the bmb,my first one was done with only local novacaine also and It was a very excruiating experience for me.  the second time I was under anesthesia.  I think that the morphine and the Ativan will work much better for you according to the past posts from the ones who have used it.  Try not to fret much, you at least is going to get more to help you this time.

#4 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:35 PM

I took a bit of valium, and it calmed me down fine, morphine sounds better though

I had to have 4 bmb`s myself, but after stable MMR you shouldnt really need one, but i guess its up to the doctors to decide.

Mine were at dx, 3months, 6months, 12months, had a stable MMR since 6 months.

3 in the sternum and one in the hip bone. Sternum=more scary, hip bone = more painfull, but not to bad after the valium.

Good luck

Teddy

#5 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

I think it comes down to your doc, what your countries' protocols are and how well you're responding in regard to the number of BMBs you need.

I live in Australia and only needed two BMBs, second one possibly because I switched docs. I responded well to Gleevec and was CyCR (Complete Cytogenetic Response) at second BMB, so never needed another BMB. I had the first under local and the second under light sedation. Second one was definitely better.

If you want a scary story, Teddy can tell you how they do BMBs in Norway.  You'd be able to look the doc in the eyes while you were swearing at him.

#6 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:57 PM

FYI

http://www.patientpo...s-in-the-future

#7 Susan61

Susan61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

Hi:  I think you mean Lidocaine, not novocaine thats used for dental work mostly.  When I was in clinical trial, my BMB was done in the physicians office with just an injection of Lidocaine, and the pain was horrible to say the least.

When my regular Oncologist did my BMB, it was done at the outpatient dept. in the hospital.  Then I would get the Lidocaine shot to start the numbing process.  Then I would get the IV Versed along with Demerol injected into the IV for additional prevention of pain.  I would have no pain, until everything wore off. Then I would be sore for about a week.

You should be okay with what they will be giving you.  I wish you well on your procedure and results.

Susan

#8 Tex

Tex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:52 PM

GerryL wrote:

You'd be able to look the doc in the eyes while you were swearing at him.

I have no idea how they can do a BMB and leave that possibility open.  I don't want to have one, either,  All possibilities boggle my mind and offend my sense of reason.

#9 mike43147

mike43147

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:44 PM

I have had multiple BMB's done with and without pain meds.  When they have been done with meds, my wife tells me they used Adavan.  The lead singer for AC/DC has nothing to worry about, but according to the nurses I put on a very entertaining show/BMB.  My last BMB was done totally medication free.  60 minutes later I drove home.  My main point is go with what makes you comfortable.  If you want to be knocked out ask to be knocked out.  You really aren't out more like a good drunk, without the hang over.

Good luck.

Mike 

#10 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:03 PM

From a much earlier discussion on this topic. I love Crankycook's quote:

I wrote: "Ditto for what Frank said. We both go to the Mayo Clinic for our BMBs and have a choice. I choose conscious sedation every time. They use a combination of Fentanyl and Propofol (don't try this at home, Michael Jackson) and I am talking all the way back to recovery with absolutely no memory of the procedure. I don't remember who said it first on this board, Vicki, Chris, Beth? "I don't know what's going to happen to me with this CML, but I'll be damned if they are going to torture me while I am alive" (or words to that effect)!  Crankycook! That's who said it!"

Here is a link to an earlier discussion http://community.lls...ssage/5538#5538

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#11 GerryL

GerryL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:47 PM

Hi Tex,

I think Teddy's added a bit more info above about how in Norway they do BMBs through the sternum.

#12 Tex

Tex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

I've never even seen the needle they use.  They would have to give me fullanaesthtic for their own safety if they tried going in that way.

#13 KerriD

KerriD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

I had the conscious sedation for my BMB and I didnt feel or remember a thing.   I had the same combo when I had a colonoscopy.  I can see why MJ got hooked on that stuff.  You wake up feeling rested and happy and no memory of what just happened.  

#14 Tex

Tex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:50 AM

Actually it was s different med than Versed Michael Jackson got into trouble with.  It's actually the anesthetic they're replacing the Versed with.  At least that's what the anesthesiologist told me last week right before he put me under with the new stuff.

I assume you're talking about Versed.  Sorry if I'm mistaken.  It's just that I have to have an EGD every six months and last week was only the third time I've been given it (meaning the first time was last December). 

The new med does require an anesthesiologist to administer it whereas Versed was given by nurses.  So, I don't know what you had but the stuff Jackson OD'd on was not Versed.

#15 tazdad08

tazdad08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:38 PM

lol. Great post. I only had local also. Mine went very easy. Each BMB can be different from the last, from what I understand anyway. I hope your next ones are easier.

Diagnosed in September 2011. Tried one year of Sprycel. Had great response. Became undetectable in a few months. Changed to Tasigna hoping for less side effects. Self medicated myself down to 20% dose and held for 3 years before becoming detectable again. It has been a journey that has helped me realize what life is about! I am all about a balanced life. I firmly agree with my decision to lower my dose. What is life if you aren't living? Mine will never be the way it was, but it is going to be as good as I can make it! Drs PRACTICE medicine, we can guide our dr to help us with a better life! Don't settle until it's acceptable to you!

#16 TeddyB

TeddyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

Tex: Yeah, it sounds a bit crazy, but i can promise you, you will be lying very stil the entire time, and you wont say much, cause it kind of feels like the needle is going into your "throat" from the outside in, and you dont want it moving around a lot when its in there

Anyway, i guess i would prefer the sternum, cause its quicker (last one only took a few minutes), and no real pain after the local anesthetic, just a weird feeling.

#17 Tex

Tex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

I hadn't considered that.  Yeah, I guess I'd be immobile until it was over.  Then I'd probably feel a little stiff for awhile.  Well, I know where they work.

I can also see there'd be a lot less fat to drill through.  But there it is.  I don't want nobody nowhere near my heart and/or lung with an awl.  Yikes!

You're a better man than I am.

#18 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:00 AM

Hi, Tex,

Michael Jackson's doc was using propofol on him; the anesthesiologist and I talked about it at the time. It should never be used out of a carefully monitored hospital situation.  It's great for these type of procedures because it's fast acting and quickly reversed. Of course, those two elements also make it very volitile - it's easy to go to deep, too fast. I swear I was completing the sentence I started when I went under when they brought me up again.

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#19 Tex

Tex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:41 AM

Interesting info, Pat.  Thanks.  I've got to say I usually feel as if I've been interrupted in the middle of a sentence and can't remember what I was saying under Versed.  I don't know if I was trying to talk but I popped right out of it all three times I've had that stuff.

#20 0vercast

0vercast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

At the risk of giving T.M.I, I was given a strong dose of morphine in the hospital prior to my first BMB on the day I was diagnosed, and I came dangerously close to crapping my pants since it's such an effective muscle relaxer. haha

That said, morphine is big-time overkill. Ask your oncologist to tap some lidocaine into the bone in the area surrounding the incision site prior to the procedure. That'll do the trick far better than the morphine will. The BMBs get easier each and every time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users