11 replies to this topic

#1 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

Trey. . .is there any reason other than the ability to monitor correct dosage, that it is recommended to NOT split a Sprycel tablet?  Seems like it has some sort of lactate coating, but that certainly isn't a huge factor, is it?

I'm thinking about an electronic powder scale and a razor blade. . .

#2 Happycat

Happycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:23 AM

Marnie,

Can't state for sure any changes to treatment outcome splitting the Sprycel may induce (I'll leave that to Trey), but you'd need to weigh down to at least the 0.1 mg level to get decent accuracy.  That gets expensive, at least $1.5K and easily up to $5K.  I wouldn't trust one that goes to 1 mg level, not when you need to weigh out 70 mg.  (As a chemist, I'm pretty picky on the accuracy.  You  might want to ask a pharmacist what type of scale they use.  That would better indicate your need.)   I'm sure you can find a scale online that purports to do that for under $500, but remember you get what you pay for. 

Also, from the materials viewpoint, the coatings on tablets often protect the ingredients from moisture.  Once exposed to air, some of the ingredients may get wet and sticky.  That wouldn't be a problem for the first day's dose, but the 2nd day, after the powder has been sitting around awhile, it may be difficult to handle.  Speculation on my part, don't know that Sprycel will get sticky on air exposure, but it could.  Lots of drug compounds do, at least the ones I've handled in the lab. We sell the research quantities as powders, and many are stored and packaged with dessicant.  Of course, if you can dissolve the sticky powder in water and drink it, then the potential stickiness is not an issue.

HTH,

Traci

P.S.  I still like your idea to alternate 50 and 100 mg dose, although I don't know if that works well when one considers the half-life of the drug.  If the insurance company refuses to fill the 70 mg until the 100 mg 90-day supply is used up, then that would be the option I'd push with the doctor.  You've got to do what you can afford to do.

#3 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

Just hard to split precisely.  Otherwise the drug dispersal is uniform throughout the pill. 

If I needed to do it, I would.  Traci makes good points, but sometimes "ya gotta do what ya gotta do", even if it means measuring with a micrometer and cutting with a meat-ax.

Lick the split end and tell us how it tastes.

I understand Norwegians lick off the tablet coating and spit it out.  But they also live in Norway, so go figure.

#4 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:24 PM

The split end cannot taste worse than the Gleevec split end.  Tried that. . .yuck.

I have a scale that measures to the nearest tenth of a grain.  1 grain equals about 65 milligrams, so that should work reasonably well. . .I'd be within 6 mg or so.  Tablet has a mass of .41 grams.  Find 70% of that. . .should get me close enough. . . .

The trick will be to not mix up the Sprycel powder with the gun powder.  I don't think Sprycel has enough propellent in it to get the bullet out of the pistol.  Ingesting the gun powder might take care of the cml, however.  Among other things.

#5 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:08 PM

Now if it were Gleevec instead of Sprycel the mixup wouldn't matter so much.  As I recall, Gleevec had a fair amount of propellent in it.  Things were propelled out of the body at an amazing speed.

#6 Trey

Trey

Advanced Member

• PS Beta Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:27 PM

Something else Norwegians might do is to dissolve two pills in water, and drink 1/3 of a glass each day.  Optionally lick off coating and spit it out.  70 + 70 = 140 divided by 3 = 46.6   Close enough. *

*Refrigerate after opening.  Your mileage may vary.  Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental. If ingested, do not induce vomiting.  Tax and license fees separate.  This does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of this station.  All rights reserved.  Use only as directed.  You may distribute this and all its associated parts freely but you may not make a profit from it.  Copyright laws apply.  Subject to change without notice.  Enlarged to show detail.  Do not  fold,  spindle or mutilate.  For a limited time only.  Provided "as is" without  warranty.  Equal opportunity employer.  No shoes, no shirt, no service.  Quantities  limited.  Contents may have settled during shipping.  Crest has been shown to be an effective decay preventive dentifrice when used in a conscientiously applied program of oral hygiene and regular professional care.  Void where prohibited.  Parental guidance advised.  No purchase necessary.  Must be present to win.  Some assembly required.  Batteries not included.  For external use only.  Store in a cool dry place.  Keep away from flames.  Slippery when wet.  Must be 18 years or older to enter.  Penalties for early withdrawal.  Slightly higher west of the Rockies.  Other restrictions may apply.  Transportation not included.  In case of a tie, the wearer may be asked to remove it. 

#7 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:50 AM

The Sprycel split end is pretty much tasteless.  I tried to see how many licks it would take to get to the center of a sprycel pill, but the outside shell came off.  So I spit it into a glass of water, divided it three ways, and invited my Norwegian friends over for the holiday.

My razor blade and scale technique has been fun.  My doc would not approve.  So far, my dosages have ranged between 70 and 79 mg each day.  Yesterday I had to lick the crumbs off the plate to get it up to 70 mg. 

Insurance did pay for 20 mg pills, but I'm having so much fun with the scale that I think I'll finish off this bottle of 100s before going to the 50 + 20 technique.

My doc would really not approve.

I'm not sure my p.e. is resolved.  Last x-ray was not 100% clear, and breathing is still a little funny when I lay on my left side.  Or maybe it's my imagination.

#8 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

HuH?

#9 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:28 AM

Hey Marnie,

My p.e. took about 6mos to clear up, that's why onc was still doing an x-ray once a month. In october I was sure it was coming back, I started feeling the same symptoms I had last march. I asked onc to do an x-ray and it must have been okay, I never heard back from him. I've noticed that ever since I started Sprycel I get some congestion. I read that, that could be a side-effect I take a water pill everyday for my bp and I have noticed that if I don't take it I feel more congested.                                          Billie

I really don't think you should be licking sprycel, want me to send you some lollipops?

#10 hannibellemo

hannibellemo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Iowa

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

Billie,

You crack me up! 

Marnie,

As long as you're messing with your onc, why not just take 50mg.?

Pat

Pat

"You can't change the direction of the wind but you can adjust your sails."

DX 12/08; Gleevec 400mg; liver toxicity; Sprycel 100mg.; CCyR 4/10; MMR 8/10; Pleural Effusion 2/12; Sprycel 50mg. Maintaining MMR; 2/15 PCRU; 8/16 drifting in and out of undetected like a wave meeting the shore. Retired 12/23/2016! 18 months of PCRU, most recent at Mayo on 7/25/17 was negative at their new sensitivity reporting of 0.003.<p>

#11 Guest_billronm_*

Guest_billronm_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

Hi Pat,

Do you think we should start worrying about her? She has had a couple rough years. I joined this site in November 2010 and she welcomed me and told me she was 48. Well after 3 years she still tells us she's 48. Her birthday is in February I wonder how old she will be this year?  Since she is a math teacher, I bet she could give us a bunch of numbers and percentages that show she will be 48 again in Feb.

I used to hire my babysitters to help with math homework, I never did catch on to the new math. Damn maybe I should check it out, I may be younger than I thought.         Billie

#12 Marnie

Marnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:42 AM

Even the new math won't stop 50 from rolling around in February.  Dang.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users